Just sharing, coronavirus,especially for us older people!

oldie48

Visit site
I'm a fit woman in my 70's, OH is somewhat younger but has high blood pressure which is not life style related but inherited so he takes some drugs to lower it. My daughter is a doctor, not an expert in CV19 but generally when I discuss "medical matters" with her I get the "worried well "response which causes OH and me some amusement as we certainly don't get a lot of sympathy. (tbh I think she's a pretty good doctor). However, with respect to CV19 she is very different and obviously very concerned for our health and is very adamant that we must self isolate properly. so my message to everyone in a higher risk category, however fit you are, even if you can hump bales around all day, run the marathon, look 10 years younger, you need to take care as it's seems to be all about our immune system and how it deals with the virus and that is, for the time being, difficult to know. I don't want to be a negativity type person but it has made me think. Stay safe everyone, please use this forum as it always gives me loads to think about and tbh there are so many people that I feel I know and like and I have never ever and probably will never meet!

Skib

sites.google.com
My daughter is a doctor, not an expert in CV19 tbh I think she's a pretty good doctor). However, with respect to CV19 she is very different and obviously very concerned for our health and is very adamant that we must self isolate properly. so my message to everyone in a higher risk category, however fit you are, even if you can hump bales around all day, run the marathon, look 10 years younger, you need to take care as it's seems to be all about our immune system and how it deals with the virus and that is, for the time being, difficult to know.

We are similar, oldies. Daughter is an obstetrician busy working in our local hospital and she says the same. We have pretty much self isolated a week now.
What I would add from our daughter for younger members of this foum not too busy looking after horses is that her hospital is looking for local volunteers. Anyone who does not fall into the high risk category.
And local volunteer groups are looking for helpers too.

stormox

Visit site
Im 68 and my husband is 72 with heart problems. We are pretty fit but my 2 horses are at home and I do go out riding and dog walking as I dont have an arena and turnout is too wet at mo. I have a young fit sports horse whos been jumping every week over the winter and she'd go off her head if she suddenly got no excersize.
However we are careful to keep as far as possible from people when shopping etc., we regularly wash our hands when weve been out and follow what advice weve been given.
I believe it can only be caught from an infected person not just picked up in the open air. I dont think there's much else we can do.

Trouper

Visit site
I'm in the same age group and position as Oldie 48. We are both happy poddling along with dog walking and gardening and, not being great socialites, our normal existence might seem like self-isolating to some folk. What is vexing me beyond endurance at the moment is the Government not getting a grip, in conjunction with Supermarkets, on food control. I have spent the last several years ordering online as visiting a Supermarket is like the first circle of Hell to me. Now that I need to do that I can't because there is still no priority delivery system for the at-risk age group. Setting up special hours for us is a kind thought but one look at the queue last week and I simply turned for home. Why concentrate what must have been 200+ at-risk people in the same place at the same time?? Politely asking for restraint from the general public is clearly not working and we need some positive controls putting in place. At the very least NHS staff and care workers must have priority.

McFluff

Visit site
I have to admit that this past week has made me despair of the human race. So we are allegedly staying at home, yet our local town was mobbed with people driving out from the city (ironically the city was empty) and the beach was busier than a summer day. If people keep flaunting this we’ll all have tougher measures applied, and I fear it is people like you OP, who will suffer the most (as you are complying and have more to lose).
And this is before we even consider the frankly bizarre panic buying.
All very frustrating.
Stay safe Everyone.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I am worried by the unprecedented times we are living in, I am home working and still have a salary coming in and therefore much more fortunate than many. i am socially distant without really trying as the yard is private. I am being very careful about visiting my housebound Mum. We managed to shop before it went completely bonkers and without the need to hoard. I will admit to buying more horse feed than I need but it keeps and it will mean I don't have to venture out again.

I am fixated by the bbc news and have it on nonstop, which is not doing my mental health any good but I just cannot turn it off. It is easy and dangerous to think this 'blip' will be over quickly but I can't see it be over for many many months and what we all know as 'normal' is a very long way off.

Ruftysdad

Visit site
I too come into the older age group and am finding it difficult to isolate. I cannot get home delivery from any local supermarkets so have to shop. I used the pensioners hour the other day and it was horrendous. Hundreds of people and stripped shelves.
Luckily horse is on retirement livery
One off the worse things I cannot meet with my son and grand kids.
Hard times

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i am also in my seventies and live a pretty isolated life normally but tend to drive to my local park to walk my dogs as i find it easier to walk on level paths rather than hilly fields. there are a few of us who walk there every day so i know everyone, at least i know their dog's names if not the people.. i went today and our usually quiet park had loads of people in it and i hardly recognised anyone or any of the dogs. i found it a bit scary as i feel a bit worried about where they have all come from. am now going to avoid the park and will have to struggle round my local fields for the time being, so will be a bit more isolated but hopefully safer..

oldie48

Visit site
I am fixated by the bbc news and have it on nonstop, which is not doing my mental health any good but I just cannot turn it off. It is easy and dangerous to think this 'blip' will be over quickly but I can't see it be over for many many months and what we all know as 'normal' is a very long way off.
\Like many older people, I don't sleep that well but have never let it get to me too much, listen to the radio and remember I don't have to get up with an alarm clock to catch the train (or whatever) to get to work. I am starting to filter the news and have stopped listening in the night. I am of the view that as I don't know or have any control over the future, I really want each and every day to be the very best it can. I am talking to friends on the phone rather than message, it is so much nicer to hear a voice. I am cooking, I love to eat something nice, I am trying to be kinder to my OH as he's my main companion and he's also being nicer to me.....funny that and we are planning things to do together in the garden. Don't get excited it's plant led! I absolute refuse to talk about "the worst scenario" we will get through this and I really think we'll be stronger and kinder to each other.

still standing

Visit site
I'm also in the older age group although fit and healthy, not on any medication. But very early on I became highly concerned about the way this was all heading as all the news from abroad implied that the older you are, the higher the risk category (apart from underlying health issues).
I'm a pretty sociable person but all my friends and myself, without exception, decided to socially isolate ourselves to keep as safe as possible.

I am still riding but keep my tack at home and just go to the yard, bring my horse in and ride, then go home. Others walk their dog, or golf alone, or garden.
But, despite socially isolating it is still possible to meet up carefully, for example to go for a walk, by driving to a rendezvous separately then walking (apart) and chatting. Or tomorrow, as the weather will be nice I am invited to friends' house, to sit (well apart) in their garden for a cuppa!
What I miss most though is seeing my twin granddaughters - their 3rd birthday is next weekend - but I have been banned from visiting family for my own sake, for the last 10 days.

There are two positive things I remind myself about however... one is that we are heading into Spring/Summer and therefore we CAN get outdoors to keep ourselves sane unlike the middle of winter. And secondly, we live in a time of amazing social media, which can be good or bad at times, but it helps to keep in touch with each other.

Yokosmom

Visit site
I’m a youngish 59, but am not fit—am obese, have high blood pressure (ok with meds) and asthma. Prediabetic too. Lucky to be able to work from home. Taking self isolation very seriously. Taking a walk every day in my neighborhood to keep spirits up and to get exercise. Walked with a friend today (six feet apart) who is getting a bit stir crazy too. Glad that this happened in days of internet as can keep in touch with family. My neighborhood has its own little Facebook group in case anyone needs help.

SEL

Visit site
I'm not in the high risk age group but do have one of the high risk conditions, so I'm being careful.

Our local secondary school closed on Thurs and since then there have been gangs of kids everywhere. A protest on the village FB page was met with "what else are they supposed to do" & "it's not their fault". We have a huge number of elderly people in this village and it just isn't fair to them. I can't help but think that if youngsters were badly affected those same parents would be demanding we all closed our doors for weeks.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I’m glad you guys are taking this seriously, the virus I caught the end of Dec saw me on a nebuliser, steroids, antibiotics and an inhaler.

I am 30 and have no previous lung complaints but am slightly higher risk with an autoimmune disease (though not on immune suppressants). The doctor was baffled at the time and hadn’t seen anything like it in an otherwise healthy younger person. I recovered fine but it was unpleasant struggling to breathe, obviously I cannot know if it was Covid-19 or something else but it certainly brought home the risk of what a virus can do!

stay safe everyone x

J&S

Visit site
I am 73, my stepdaughter who is a very science led person,( vet,) has absolutely insisted that her father and I stay at home. We are both pretty fit and healthy. This began over a week ago. I have stopped going to ride the lovely big old horse who I exercise for the owners and am worried he will still be ok to ride when this is over. However, I feel I must give 100% chance to his owners, my partner and myself by staying away. On the plus side I have my retired competition pony at home with her companion. They get me up and out every day and it is a total pleasure to look after them, work on the veg patch, do the garden and (God forbid!) clean the house. I am quite enjoying the challenge of making what is in the fridge/freezer stretch as far as possible but still being creative. I booked an on line shop at the beginning of last week and have a slot for next Saturday, I am now worrying if there will be the chance of another after this! So, how much do you feel is acceptable to add to this order........... I too worry at night but try to make myself think of pleasant things and hope to drift off. Like AA am fixed to the radio! We do not have a TV so don't have to watch the nightly Boris show.
My biggest worries have been my son and his family, he runs a company selling corporate hospitality. However, he is very upbeat and believes he can come out the other side. My daughter is in media, an influencer, and is worried what she does is "shallow" but she tries to cheer her followers up each day with an "on the bright side" post.
I gave up my little part time job as a market researcher a few weeks ago as it did not seem to be a safe environment. They have just come to me to ask me if I would like to work from home....... so even an oap can earn a few pennies in this crazy, frightening time.
Yes, stay safe every one, don't take any risks. Keep on posting!x

oldie48

Visit site
I’m glad you guys are taking this seriously, the virus I caught the end of Dec saw me on a nebuliser, steroids, antibiotics and an inhaler.

I am 30 and have no previous lung complaints but am slightly higher risk with an autoimmune disease (though not on immune suppressants). The doctor was baffled at the time and hadn’t seen anything like it in an otherwise healthy younger person. I recovered fine but it was unpleasant struggling to breathe, obviously I cannot know if it was Covid-19 or something else but it certainly brought home the risk of what a virus can do!

stay safe everyone x
that's interesting. My older daughter lives in Bath, she also does (did!) air B&B as it's a very popular place for foreign as well as UK tourists. She was very unwell a couple of weeks ago, just as we started to hear about the outbreak in China. She is asthmatic but otherwise fit and she also ended up on steroids etc. She also had a nasty gastric upset which prevented her from visiting us as she was coming for the weekend. Glad you are better.

Shay

Visit site
I'm old but not older (50+) not vulnerable and no-one at home who is. So for younger (eek... I usually describe myself as an oldie on here...!) folk - we need to do our bit too. If neighbours need shopping, yard mates need horses doing etc. We need to be responsible too - keep a distance. Wash hands. Lots.

We've had 2 folk with symptoms come down to the yard to do thier horses because they don't want to / can't pay the livery fee. There was an earlier thread here with several saying they would do thier horses regardless. Please don't do this!!! Phone a friend. You can't know who else among your group might not be vulnerable themsleves but might carry this home to someone else who is.

Plus - quite pragmatically - if we don't comply with what is now a suggestion it may well become an order. I live near London and a lot of folk did not comply with the request to avoid social gatherings / pubs / clubs etc. So now that is banned with difficult consequences for often low paid staff. We shop locally (local shops have more stock than supermarkets ATM anyway!) support local farmers and growers. Now get takeout from our local restaurants - even though we are not normally take out people. Support one another. Support local buisness.

And thank heavans horses can't catch this.... can you imagine the panic if they could?!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
that's interesting. My older daughter lives in Bath, she also does (did!) air B&B as it's a very popular place for foreign as well as UK tourists. She was very unwell a couple of weeks ago, just as we started to hear about the outbreak in China. She is asthmatic but otherwise fit and she also ended up on steroids etc. She also had a nasty gastric upset which prevented her from visiting us as she was coming for the weekend. Glad you are better.

Everyone in the office joked at the time we gave it China ? as we’re owned by a Chinese company and do a lot of international travel. Now we’re pretty sure it was the same virus as the symptoms were spot on and it swept through our office with the odd one like me getting pretty serious complications.

From my experience healthy people will be pretty miserable with it, anyone slightly less healthy will need some help and anyone with serious health issues already just needs to not get it!

Hope your daughter is feeling better x

southerncomfort

Visit site
Just to reassure you lovely ladies, my mum is 70 and has had this horrible virus (not tested but all the classic symptoms and GP was convinced).

It wasn't pleasant and she did have some breathing difficulties while the cough was at its worst, but she recovered quite quickly and is absolutely fine now.

I'm in the at risk group due to asthma and I've been self isolating since Wednesday. I'm finding it a real struggle to be honest especially on Mothers day, not being able to see my mum or my older children, but I'm trying to stay chipper for my youngest daughter.

I live in the countryside so I'm a lot better off than some and can usually find somewhere quiet to walk although their were a lot of walkers about yesterday. Apparently the little town near us was like a bank holiday with all the shops rammed with people. Lots of teenagers congregating as well.

As horrible a prospect as it is, people still aren't taking it seriously so I think a full lockdown is probably inevitable at some point.

Apparently the NHS is sending out a letter to everyone in the at risk group this coming week.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I wonder if anyone have talked about this in British or other countries media, because I heard some interesting things from experts talking on Swedish TV yesterday.
As I remember it, firstly they said that there was a 14% higher risk for a smoker to catch, and possibly die from, Corona virus, than non smokers.
Secondly they said that there is a chromosome, which women have the whole version of, but men only have a half version of that chromosome, and having only the later, makes men more vulnerable to, and likely to die from, Corona virus.

Please note that I might have misunderstood something of the above, and I'm not in any way saying that women shouldn't be careful, too.

But since I live in a two-family house with my parents who is both over 70, hearing about the chromosome thing, have changed how we are thinking a bit. Before yesterday, we had said that dad could continue to do some of our food shopping, but only at the times when we know that there is less other shoppers at the local store. But now we're thinking that I should definitely try to do most of our shopping. However, since we live together, there is of course still the risk for that I bring it home with me.

Basically I do what I usually do when I'm out shopping, gloves on as much as possible (during Autumn, Winter, and Spring, and perhaps this year, if the Corona virus doesn't go away with the warmer Summer weather, I'll either try to use bike gloves, to at least protect some part of the hands, or try to find some really thin gloves to use), always wash my hands when I come home, and change from going out clothes to mooch around at home clothes as quickly as possible when I get home.
The biggest difference this far, is that I'm trying to remember to keep myself on a bigger distance from people when possible.

Mule

Visit site
A bit off topic but this virus has made me think about the ebola epidemic in parts of Africa a few years back. That has an average 50% fatality rate. It can be up to 90% :eek: Some of the affected counties were among the world's poorest. They must have been absolutely terrified :(

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
A bit off topic but this virus has made me think about the ebola epidemic in parts of Africa a few years back. That has an average 50% fatality rate. It can be up to 90% :eek: Some of the affected counties were among the world's poorest. They must have been absolutely terrified :(

As I recall it, it was on Swedish news as late as last year, about an Ebola outbreak which I think was in eastern Congo. This outbreak was (is?) close to a bigger city with a somewhat international airport (I remember that they mentioned airlines for example going from there to China, and back again), and they said that the risk of Ebola spreading outside of Africa, was therefore bigger than before.
But as usual, as long as it stays mostly over there, it is Out of sight, Out of mind, in our media.

oldie48

Visit site
We met up with Dr Daughter yesterday to give her the dog back. She was very careful to keep her distance from us and also not to give us anything. She's just managed to get back from Sri Lanka where there have been few cases but she was super careful of us and wouldn't touch our dog or let us touch her dog once she'd said hello to him. So all you dog walkers might like to think about keeping your dog in isolation too ie put on lead if walking if you see another dog coming your way. they can't catch the virus but they can carry it!

Reactions: DD

stormox

Visit site
Is there any proof that lockdown actually works? Italy must have been on lockdown for pretty near the incubation period now so new cases should be falling- but they seem to still be high....

canteron

Visit site
Is there any proof that lockdown actually works? Italy must have been on lockdown for pretty near the incubation period now so new cases should be falling- but they seem to still be high....
I genuinely think that social distancing is harder on the Italians than any other nation. The English have only been kissing hello for a decade or so - as supposed of centuries for the Italians ?

Mule

Visit site
I genuinely think that social distancing is harder on the Italians than any other nation. The English have only been kissing hello for a decade or so - as supposed of centuries for the Italians ?
It's not just the kissing either. They are comfortable with a very small amount of personal space. Whenever I've been there I can't have a conversation without backing away from them. There's no way they'll all remember to keep 2 metres apart.

Mule

Visit site
As I recall it, it was on Swedish news as late as last year, about an Ebola outbreak which I think was in eastern Congo. This outbreak was (is?) close to a bigger city with a somewhat international airport (I remember that they mentioned airlines for example going from there to China, and back again), and they said that the risk of Ebola spreading outside of Africa, was therefore bigger than before.
But as usual, as long as it stays mostly over there, it is Out of sight, Out of mind, in our media.
I find it's only when something happens in Europe or America that the world media pays much attention.
It has to be a complete disaster for them to pay attention to anywhere else.

DD

Visit site
my 71 year old neighbour with diabetes and has a district nurse ot home help visit daily, had her family over on Saturday. 3 separate vehicles from 3 different areas including south wales where there have been deaths. her son ( who did not visit) is a GP. absolutely unbelievable as are the holiday makers coming staying in the cottage rentals in the village.

Wizpop

Visit site
I'm in the same age group and position as Oldie 48. We are both happy poddling along with dog walking and gardening and, not being great socialites, our normal existence might seem like self-isolating to some folk. What is vexing me beyond endurance at the moment is the Government not getting a grip, in conjunction with Supermarkets, on food control. I have spent the last several years ordering online as visiting a Supermarket is like the first circle of Hell to me. Now that I need to do that I can't because there is still no priority delivery system for the at-risk age group. Setting up special hours for us is a kind thought but one look at the queue last week and I simply turned for home. Why concentrate what must have been 200+ at-risk people in the same place at the same time?? Politely asking for restraint from the general public is clearly not working and we need some positive controls putting in place. At the very least NHS staff and care workers must have priority.

Totally agree with all you’ve said! My husband is in his early 70s and has had a stem cell transplant so is in the high risk group. I cannot believe the selfishness of some people in the shops either!
I bought 2 sacks of pony carrots- my usual shop for myself and the small yard I’m on, at the checkout I felt guilty because I had 2 sacks in my trolley, ( this was a farm produce and grocery store), and I jokingly said to the checkout assistant that I wasn’t panic buying horse carrots! She told me that some people are coming into the shop and are panicking because they are running out of storage space at home!!!!!