Just to rival the eventing thread (I hope!) BS(JA)er's, favourite shows/venues? ;o)

BYR

Visit site
This is really interesting for me thanks for posting KatB! We have only been to two venues and the counties so far (!) but looking forward to visiting vale view and field house in the next month. Have heard very good reports about onley and hopefully going to be going to wales and west a few times over the summer all being well. Have been to Arena UK for showing and always found surfaces and parking to be very good but cant say what its like for a BS show.

wonkey_donkey

Visit site
Arena UK . . . . by far the best !

Oh and fave international show is Hickstead but the walking from stables to the rings is a killer !!

Last edited:

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
No one has mentioned Badgworth which is nice venue. Very friendly and low key. Food in the cafe is good and very reasonable. The warm ups can be a bit hit or miss but hopefully the new outdoor will be used.

Stretcholt is also a nice venue.

Rambo

Visit site
Well, this is my view of the south-east for what it's worth...

Golden Cross: Not the most celubrious venue but courses well built, well run, good cafe...and most importantly 'home'. Warm-up can get deep after heavy rain. Has indoor and outdoor (grass) rings.

Royal Leisure: A bit dark and dingy indoors but courses well built and solid. Indoor warm-up spacious but many struggle to jump the oxer on the right rein. Outdoor surface is large and good outdoor warm-up. Runs LOTS of BS.

Sands Farm: Indoor arena is small and a bit pokey...surface 'okay'. Indoor warm-up large and airey.

Pyecombe: Excellent and huge outdoor surface. Quite expensive and can feel a little intimidating as all the pro's go there.

Hickstead: Expensive.

Duckhurst Farm: Poxy warm-up but indoor arena okay. Good cafe and friendly.

Cobham Manor: Good surface arena let down by tatty jumps. Warm-up pretty good and cafe good.

Norton Heath: Outdoor arena looks great (never ridden in it). Indoor arena small and dingy. Cafe good...warm-ups all poor.

Towerlands: Fantastic indoors and out. Expensive, huge entries, but worth it.

Pachesham: Big outdoor surface and warm-up. Only been once but a pleasant experience (despite fallinf off lol!).

lisab

Visit site
I am lucky to have a few on my doorstep.

Best is closest - Weston Lawns - about 8 miles away. I'm a bit confused that someone thought the second warm up was small? There is no second warm up - you've got a separate warm up for each arena and they are both the same size! Lovely jumps, lovely surface and well run.

Onley - don't like Onley much. They are trying hard - gorgeous new indoor and have extended the outdoor and both are lovely. And brand new loos. And are working on the (building site) car park.
Actually the facilities are lovely. But they really couldn't organise the proverbial in a brewery! Very, very laid back. Too laid back. And their jumps are a bit rubbish.

Solihull - Love Solihull. Nice big warm up, nice jumps, new extended outdoor arena, nice big indoor, lovely surface. And I'm a member, so cheap entries. Just almost none at the weekend - some of us have a "proper" job Solihull (more's the pity)! :mad:

Gracelands - I actually like Gracelands, although the indoor is small and the surface on the outdoor is - interesting. Mr Tee has always jumped well there for some reason. And they have some interesting pot bellied pigs!

Allens Hill - I like Allens Hill but it's a bit far (1 hour 15 mins). Very well run (car park attendant - separate parking for trailers and lorries - lovely toilets - I should explain that I am a child of the 70s and grew up with shows with toilets with a wooden seat and a bucket underneath and a curtain - gross!!) And they do lots of open classes, which suits us.

Markfield is also quite close but I don't go there because the warm up is foul and tiny.

Quadro

Visit site
Nearest to me is SNEC- Its ok, car park is not the best, neither is the drive in there, but the arena is nice and the warm up a good size but not the most friendly and the catering is not the best!
Kingsbarn- I am not a fan at all, entering is always a trial, staff are never friendly nor helpful, the arenas are ok but i have never been a fan of the courses.
Howe- Not everyones cup of tea but i quite like it there, catering has improved alot and i think the new owners are making it better, the arenas are average but not awful at all
Rowallan- Lovely in all areas, pricey entries and 2 hours away but i enjoy going there
Ingliston-Just fantastic yes food is pricey but i think you are paying for the facilities so you cant complain

diggerbez

Visit site
i don't really do much BS anymore but this is what i think of my local (ish) venues- i'm North West btw!

Aintree- lovely and bright, nice surface, good jumps, although warm up is tiny. food not great.

Osbaldeston- don't like. People are lovely but warm up is tiny and the surface in the main ring isn't great. shame as they build nice courses from what i remember

Barton- awful, very dated.

Church Farm- nice people but i find the arena a bit small and deep (but not been for ages). good range of very unusual and spooky fillers

Bold Heath- i really like Bold. The indoor is a bit scabby to look at but they have a good range of spooky jumps and a big indoor warm up. in the summer the jumping is on the HUGE outdoor which has a lovely surface. Cafe does amazing chips and curry.

Myerscough- nice. big arena, big working in.

Sykehouse- really like this place. nice and friendly, nice arenas, lovely cafe

Port Royal- worth the journey for me. huge arena, great working in. doubles and distances always seem long here... not sure why :eek:

Richmond- again, worth the trip. lots of space for working in. love jumping in the big outdoor. good range of spooky fillers.

otherwise have been to a 4 day show at weston lawns- loved it. was very cheap for stabling and loved the food, arenas and felt they were good courses with a good range of spooky jumps :)

keysoe

Visit site
I'm based in Herts and travel all over best local venues are:

Keysoe (Beds) - lovely huge outdoor school with great jumps and courses although the surface isn't the best and gets churned up after loads of horses i have heard they are changing it this winter to match the great surface indoors. The indoor school is lovely and big but the indoor warm up is small sometime they let you warm up outside which is great. Very firendly with good cafe and facilities.

Surface outside is being changed as we speak - same as indoors from Andrews Bowen, will be finished by the weekend

CrazyMare

Visit site
Love Arena UK for the surfaces

I acctually don't mind Markfield - BUT when you are only 13.1h, nothing feels tight or cramped....Plus I can go jump there, and be home for a good lunch!!!

TheoryX1

Visit site
Mini TX does not do a lot of the BSJA thing, but that will change over the coming months. However, out of the ones she has done:

Badgeworth - lovely and low key, the best cheesy chips in the area (voted by the Pony Club Mums' Mafia), very well organised and friendly.

The Hand - lovely, lovely facilities, including a terrace bar and great, expensive bar. However, cliquey and unfriendly. Very scarey jumps with lots of bright fillers that give our event horse a hell of a shock.

West Wilts - lovely and friendly, nice facilities if a bit small.

Wales and West - godawful place.

ThePony

Visit site
I only wind up grooming for oh, but shall chuck in my 2p worth!

Summerhouse - lovely outdoor, good food and tea van (though can take ages to get served!). Warm up is a fine size but can get busy on popular weekends. If not parking on the grass then it is limited to say the least and you get really packed in!

Solihull - fab, esp the nice indoor warm up and the fact that you can sit inside with your hot tea and chips! Tack shop onsite is v handy. Loads of parking and really great outdoor school too. Has always seemed well run too.

Harpbury - indoor school is just wow! Though not great if you don't like an audience! Groups of students hanging around can make it seem rather cliquey. Good food and drinks again (more chips!) Massive outdoor school, also couple of good older indoor schools used sometimes as warmup and jumping ring (though more usually for unaffil).

Rockhampton - just hell. Wouldn't go there for the world. The warm-up is totally lethal and the surface inside is just shocking.

shark1

Visit site
Best is closest - Weston Lawns - about 8 miles away. I'm a bit confused that someone thought the second warm up was small? There is no second warm up - you've got a separate warm up for each arena and they are both the same size! Lovely jumps, lovely surface and well run.

the second rings warm up is a funnier shape and is very small on a sharp novice!!

JamilaParr

Visit site
Hickstead derby show is a good party for whoever mentioned parties..

Arena is cool, rather windy and cold though! (nice fish fingers and chips) nice range of fences. But miles away

But the old fail safe has to be Royal Leisure-outdoors. :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Don't do much summer stuff, so for me has to be Richmond and Sykehouse I think.

Richmond has indoor and outdoor warm ups and rings, well run, great cafe!

Sykehouse - only outdoor, great new surface, great new cafe (that all the locals use!) only thing is my horse always acts up there!

Bishop Burton, lovely indoor ring, very good fences sadly let down by disorganisation imho :)

nat_cal

Visit site
Crofton Manor - love it, especially over the summer when you jump outdoors, the arena is a really good size. Love the indoor there aswell, nice covered area to wait in if its raining!! The jumps are ace, not too spooky but gives them something to look at!!! Decent parking and excellent cafe ;) !!!

Quob - nice indoor, decent jumps, good warm up, good cafe!!

Kingston Maurward - fab indoor, big outdoor warm up but bloody cold in the winter as on top of a hill!!

West Wilts - big indoor, ok warm up, nice atmosphere

Yateley - low key, never too busy as regular shows!!!

Dorset Showground - nice grass rings, good classes

Sparsholt - good warm ups, indoor a bit small

Bicton - PARTY!!!! My fave, like to try and go a couple of times a year, amazing atmosphere, great classes, good stabling, always really well run.

Parley - where my horse lives!!! Great outdoor surface, nice Jump4Joy jumps, only down side is the grass warm up but plans in for a second arena so watch this space...............!!!

viewfromahill

Visit site
Cant believe no one has mentioned Forest Edge, superb huge arena with andrews bowen surface, run by lovely people, good food, plenty of parking, low entry fees, outdoor warm up and undercover viewing area got to be our favourite venue....also

Towerlands - such a loss
Norton Heath - Being redecorated indoors and adequate size for horses in spite of previous comments
The Jays - BS only in summer but superb surface and think management has vastly improved on last visits much more friendly
Humberstone Farm - lovely big light airy indoor arena, good food, ok ish parking - tight!
Norfolk Show Jumping club in summer on grass, the friendliest bunch of people anywhere!
Keysoe - Love it
Lordsbridge - dont seem to do BS anymore? sadly missed, unbeatable outdoors on grass and nice people and food
Finchingfield - Only hold one BS show a year but hear they are going to do more next year? Lovely surface, jumps, food and people

pigsmight:)

Visit site
I love bishop burton iv only been a couple of times, but there are posh toilets the indoor school is heated and the jumps are posh i love it :D
I must read all these posts as i have only been to Bishop, port royal and richmond, both these venues are great, port royal is verry well run and all there arenas are great, the same with richmond, and the people who were helping out at richmond were lovely :)