Just wanted to share good news :-)

Taffyhorse

Visit site
Freddie was diagnosed with mild hip dysplacia before xmas. Daily hot cushions and massages along with weekly swimming at the local hydrotherapy unit followed and today he was back at the physio for his second assessment.

She was really pleased with him and said he's made great progress. Unfortunately he has shown a little foreleg lameness this week which she thinks he is 'offloading' but nothing serious. So, need to keep on with the back massage and massage his shoulder blade but can cut down the daily exercises with his back leg (his left hind was the dodgy one) and just do this once a week. She also said he doesn't need to go swimming every week too - I'm sure Freddie understood what she said as he looked most put out at this point - he loves his swimming!!

Anyway, will carry on with the swimming fortnightly as apart from him really enjoying it, its very good for him generally anyway - and I think I'd be in the doghouse if I stopped!!

I know that we're in this for the long haul but am so pleased he's heading in the right direction and felt the need to share :)

Spudlet

Visit site
Missed the original thread, but great news :)

The feb issue of your dog has an article on exercises you can do with your dog to build various muscles, worth checking out. Hen has mild hd too, so I'll be trying some of them out as well!

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Aw brill news, our goldie has HD too (although its severe, she's now 10!) but swimming really seems to keep on top of it as well as keeping her weight down.
As MM says, good management by sensible owners can make the world of difference!
K x

Taffyhorse

Visit site
Thanks all - I know this isn't a short term thing but I am really pleased its showed an improvement as he's only 4.5 so he's still got a long life ahead of him and as you've all said, with careful management hopefully he will get to enjoy the rest of it!

Thanks Spudlet - I will go and scout a copy tomorrow :)

PS, I do confess to feeling a little smug when the physio said it was great that I was picking up on the 'little' things i.e. changing legs behind, mild muscle spasm/tightening etc as she said so often people don't notice until their dog is actually lame.

Onwards and upwards :) Have a great weekend all