Just what planet are some liveries on!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike007

Visit site
Had a lesson booked tonight (mid evening) . Bob the nota cob is somewhat sensitive and not a great fan of the dark scary end of the school. Why is it acceptable for a livery to bring their dog to the yard and just let it wander unsupervised like this was some sort of park. Cue dog going rabbiting all around the school in the undergrowth. Needless to say ,Bob was freaking out ,as only a large Irish draught can.A large part of my (not cheap) lesson was wasted . If there had been an accident ,who would I have sue, d ? Yes I would certainly have wanted to hold someone accountable. Is it the dog owner or the YO who is too lazy to enforce any yard discipline?

rachk89

Visit site
Would depend if there were signs up saying keep your dog on a leash or not. If there are dog owner is to blame. If not yard owner.

Flame_

Visit site
Really? Couldn't you have just shouted them and asked them to call the dog from the arena? I'm used to loose dogs so I can't really understand the drama and I don't think there being a loose dog makes anyone that awful, they probably had no idea there was a problem.

rachk89

Visit site
Can they keep their damn kids on a leash too please.

If only haha.

I actually hate one of my YOs dogs. He is a sheepdog and tries to roundup the horses something that my horse hates. He also runs up and down the side of the outdoor arena chasing the horses which again terrifies mine. He was doing this while an outside coach was riding my horse and understandably he got very angry with the YO for doing nothing. I tried catching the stupid dog but he didn't listen to me.

Micropony

Visit site
Loose dogs on livery yards is totally out of order IMO. They poo everywhere and cause accidents. I love dogs, don't get me wrong, but put them on a lead or in your stable!
Fortunately my yard has rules and people stick to them. YOs dogs are sometimes loose, but they live there and know how to behave.
I'd have been just as miffed in your situation OP.

Mike007

Visit site
Ignorant livery fault. Why did you not just call them and ask them to retrieve their dog?

Its quite hard to shout to someone who is sitting in their car some 200 metres away, and the other side of another school ,and the stable buildings!The mother brings daughter up to do pony and lets dog loose, while she sits in car!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Its quite hard to shout to someone who is sitting in their car some 200 metres away, and the other side of another school ,and the stable buildings!The mother brings daughter up to do pony and lets dog loose, while she sits in car!

that's bad what a bl**dy cheek I think I would have been tempted to give her a tap on the car window to be honest and tell her to come and get her dog.

Mike007

Visit site
trickey ,in the middle of my lesson. Fortunately Bob the nota cob pulled out all the stops and turned it into a great session(apart from nearly dumping me)

smellsofhorse

Visit site
trickey ,in the middle of my lesson. Fortunately Bob the nota cob pulled out all the stops and turned it into a great session(apart from nearly dumping me)

You either need to do something about it or forget it.

You could have got off your horse and gone and asked owner to control the dog, or just forget it and use it as a lesson for your horse.

My horse doesnt need much of a reason to spook, but any distractions I just accept he has to learn wont eat him and get on with it.

cloverpenny

Visit site

That is just plain stupid People like that shouldn't have Dogs. If as you say she is approx 200 metres away then she certainly isn't in control of the dog.

Pedantic

Visit site
Should have got your horse to dump on her bonnet, I'm not bothered about dogs in general on yards as it's good for the horse's, but to let it run around a menagggge, whilst someone is having a lesson is pig ignorant.

Mrs G

Visit site
I think you have ever right to have a rant OP; irresponsible, inconsiderate, potentially dangerous and just unneccesary behaviour from the livery, she needs telling!

asommerville

Visit site
Have almost came a cropper on several occasions due to dogs either running up and down the fence or suddenly sticking their heads through! I feel your pain

ossy

Visit site
Think of it as spooking schooling and get on with it, probably did your horse some good to get over it and do some good work. Sorry not usually that harsh but it really bugs me when I see people blame every other man and dog for something else going on that means they can't control their own horse. And yes I do have a crazy spooky pain in the ass horse too.

Last edited:

fatpiggy

Visit site
Think of it as spooking schooling and get on with it, probably did your horse some good to get over it and do some good work. Sorry not usually that harsh but it really bugs me when I see people blame every other man and dog for something else going on that means they can't control their own horse. And yes I do have a crazy spooky pain in the ass horse too.

I think there is a HUGE difference between riding out and being bothered by spooky whatevers and being in a manege on private property and being bothered by an untrained animal with an untrained owner who thinks only of themselves. I'd be speaking to the YO or YM manager straight away and pointing out that had there been an accident there would have been legal and financial repercussions. We had a no dogs rule on our yard after one of the livery owners dog gave the YO's dog a good beating and a very big vets bill. After a while though the standards slipped and one livery insisted on letting her dog wander about on the yard when she was doing her horse. It used to cr4p and wee in my stable or outside the door or if it was shut. Owner wouldn't do a think about it. I was leaving anyway so the night before I scraped up all the latest cr4p and smeared it over her stable door bolts. Gave me enormous pleasure!

Damnation

Visit site
Dogs around an arena = no no!

I used to be on a yard with 40 border collies (Yes 40!!) so my horse is pretty well dog proofed. However, YO was careful that the dogs and horses didn't mix. Yes there was the odd collie escapee but I did go nuts one night when riding my spooky mare in the not well lit arena who hadn't been worked in a few months and she decides to walk her dogs in the arena to "see how I was doing" and my horse went from calm and relaxed to spooked and tense because suddenly 5 sheepdogs were trying to round her up!!!

That never happened again.

wingedhorse

Visit site
My horses are dog proof, even aggressive dogs out hacking.

But if I was riding under floodlights, and a dog was out of the floodlight, moving, and suddenly appeared, either horse would mostly likely react by a violent spook and leap.

I am happy that many things are de-spooking, life proofing training opportunities. But I think my horses would always spook at the noise of an unseen dog appearing / disappearing in the dark. I think this is how horses are wired re predators.

I used to be at a busy big yard, with multiple yards, and the one of the yard owners dogs, for one of the yards, used to occasionally run up and down outside the school in the dark. It caused complaints, near accidents and was firmly dealt with.

Mike – in your situation, I would explain your problem and why it is dangerous and a waste of lesson money to you YO, and ask them to deal with it. A yard rule – no dogs off lead would help.

Merlod

Visit site
I find it's best to say something at the time. It's a pain but for the sake of asking your instructor to hold your horse for a minuite whilst you ask the owner to put their dog on a lead you could have saved your lesson. But you chose to try and carry on with the loose dog, and have ended up frustrated with a wasted lesson.

When I feel irked by something a livery is doing/ has done I take a step back, think about it and that they are not doing it out of spite, usually it's just lack thought on their part. I politely ask them to not do something/ suggest an alternative and all is well. The problem comes when you don't communicate and just complain about the event afterwards (or go in all guns blazing) and things become a bit sour between you for something silly that could easily have been resolved.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
I think you have the right to use the school without such distractions. Is it possible the woman doesn't realise how annoying the dog is? I agree it would have been good to approach the person at the time but maybe you could say something now to avoid it happening again.

Hanno Verian

Visit site
Sounds like utterly none-horsey parent having no idea of the consequences of her actions.

I would speak to her (the parent), ask her not to do it on grounds of safety and also explain the effect of the dog on the horses performance in the lesson - wasted money!

Also speak to yard owner/manager and raise the same points with them.

Do it in a very calm and reasoned way, no reason why it cant be averted for the future

HashRouge

Visit site
I find it's best to say something at the time. It's a pain but for the sake of asking your instructor to hold your horse for a minuite whilst you ask the owner to put their dog on a lead you could have saved your lesson. But you chose to try and carry on with the loose dog, and have ended up frustrated with a wasted lesson.

When I feel irked by something a livery is doing/ has done I take a step back, think about it and that they are not doing it out of spite, usually it's just lack thought on their part. I politely ask them to not do something/ suggest an alternative and all is well. The problem comes when you don't communicate and just complain about the event afterwards (or go in all guns blazing) and things become a bit sour between you for something silly that could easily have been resolved.

^This^