Just When You Think You've seen It All

oldie48

Visit site
No you wouldn't believe it but horses seem able to do the most unexpected things. I got back from a hack, put my horse in the stable and turned round to take my hat and gloves off, he was still tacked up and went to scratch an itch on his side/He managed to get the bit caught round the stirrup leather, so he was fixed to his side. He lurched past in in panic, went down on his knees, somehow managed to get up and went into the stable where my daughter's horse was and went down again. he just lay still while I took his saddle off and was able to release the bit. Amazingly he was completely unhurt but what I was grateful for, was that he'd passed me twice and managed to avoid crashing into me despite his complete panic.

ponies4ever

Visit site
Funnily enough Ive seen a pony do almost exactly the same thing, but she was turning round to bite some one :) she decided to just spin round at speed until she finally tired at let someone help. I have to say horses can do the weirdest things

Dazed'n'confused

Visit site
Crikey that's an impressive feat! I have safety stirrups as I ride youngsters all the time - never thought about the horse needing them... :D

Bede

Visit site
When we first moved in one of the stable doors didn't shut properly so previous owners had nailed a lead rope clip on a chain inside the door to close it. I went to feed them one morning, horse in that stable wasn't looking over his door, found him with the clip through his nostril like some grotesque piercing, chain hanging on still and then a sliver of wood from the doorframe on the end.The vet removed it under sedation and it healed with no scarring

Apercrumbie

Visit site
ihatework how on earth did he do that? Lordy this is why I spend so much of my time stressing about what could go wrong! If there's something, they'll find it!

ihatework

Visit site
ihatework how on earth did he do that? Lordy this is why I spend so much of my time stressing about what could go wrong! If there's something, they'll find it!

I haven't a clue, but he was the 'special' type 😜 it still makes me chuckle thinking about his expression and pitiful whinny when I arrived with his brekkie and promptly turned around again to find some scissors and call the vet whilst muttering obscenities under my breath about stupid horses ...

Bede

Visit site

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Sunny once manged to put her hoof into a bolt down foot post - she had the whole field to walk around in, but no, the foot post looked the most interesting to put her hoof into. Thankfully she was so relaxed and calm, and after a bit of tugging and pulling, with the help of a few of our neighbors, we got it off, and she was completely unharmed. Ours also seem to like getting into electric fencing - again, they have a whole 4.5 acre field to eat and walk around in, but that tiny patch of grass where the poisonous tree is looks much more interesting! Horses! :rolleyes: