Kali Lami Update - Day 2

PolarSkye

Visit site
Well, that's our second full day of box rest done. I can honestly say I have never soaked, rinsed, dried and hung up so many haynets in one day . . . spent a total of over four hours at the yard today what with one thing another. Mucked him out twice - this morning and this evening - with a fresh top up of straw both times to keep his bed nice and deep - and skipped him out once in between. Went out and picked some more nettles, goose grass, thistle tops and hawthorn (hands are pretty raw/stingy because I thought I could get away without gloves . . . erm no). He doesn't like the mint, nor is he that impressed with either elder or cow parsley (which surprised me). If I chop the nettles, goose grass and hawthorn up quite small (I use scissors) and add to his Speedibeet then he'll scoff the lot. Still not sure on quantities, but he's at least getting some. It doesn't matter how small I make the mint, he finds it and turfs it onto the floor.

He isn't overly impressed by his soaked hay and keeps looking longingly at the grass outside his stable . . . no chance fella. The padding/taping up on his feet has held up well, but I suspect I'll need to change them by end of day tomorrow - just so they don't get too manky/cause thrush.

I went out today and bought three more haynets - just so I can always have two soaking, two hanging up to dry and two ready to eat.

His neat trick today was to wait until I had mucked him out, refreshed his water bucket and filled his treat ball to dunk said treatball in his water bucket - thus rendering both water and treats undrinkable/inedible respectively. Numpty.

He was more fidgety and restless today, but still wasn't box walking like I thought he would be - still very cuddly, though - which is nice. Pulses seem better (but that could just be wishful thinking). Roll on next Wednesday when the vet is back and we can see if we see some improvement.

I can't say I'm enjoying him being ill . . . or on box rest . . . too much worry and hard work . . . but I am enjoying spending so much time with him . . . there's such an ease between the two of us now after two and a half years and when I'm mucking him out he comes over to see what I'm doing, have a cuddle, nibble my pony tail. He is such a special boy - I so hope we have caught this in time and his pedal bones aren't a) sinking; or b) rotating and that he will come sound relatively quickly (for him, not for me).

P

Eaglestone

Visit site
Oh dear, I feel for you so much, having been through this with Motor nearly 7 years ago .... it is hard work, but very rewarding and if they are good, it makes everything worthwhile.

I saw you posted on my Birthday pic, but do no know all the circumstances about poor Kali (and you ((hugs))) ... I am off to have a nosy around.

Keep your spirits up and do as your Vet and Farrier suggest ;)

Just one thought though .... don't end up soaking your hay so long, it ends up coming out of liquid manure ... yuk yuk yuk and not nice for pony

x

mattilda

Visit site
I have no great experience of Lami but with Oliver I had the vet out 3 days after he became "footy". He confirmed it was lami. He was barely able to walk when the vet saw him as opposed to slightly lame earlier that day!! He was put on 2 bute twice a day and spent most of the first day lying down. However, he improved very rapidly after that and was standing on both feet happily within a week and out for an hour a day and back to work the week after that. Touch wood he is still completely sound and happy and back out as normal.
Hopefully your boy will be back on all four feet just as quickly.

Rosehip

Visit site
Im joining you on the soaking/hanging/refilling etc endless haynets! I have 4 on the go at a time :) I soak mine for 24 hours (the optimum time is 16 hours, as after 15.5 hours there is still 30% more soluble sugars in the hay!) but change my water after 12 hours, and rinse the nets whilst they are hanging to drain.
Seren is out of pads now, but when she was padded I changed them every 48 hours.

Has your vet not said shavings would be better for Kali? Even though straw is good to give as a bulk-up to the soaked hay, it does contain quite a bit of sugar, and its not as supportive as shavings...you prob know all that though! Sorry!

Good luck :) xx

PolarSkye

Visit site
Im joining you on the soaking/hanging/refilling etc endless haynets! I have 4 on the go at a time :) I soak mine for 24 hours (the optimum time is 16 hours, as after 15.5 hours there is still 30% more soluble sugars in the hay!) but change my water after 12 hours, and rinse the nets whilst they are hanging to drain.
Seren is out of pads now, but when she was padded I changed them every 48 hours.

Has your vet not said shavings would be better for Kali? Even though straw is good to give as a bulk-up to the soaked hay, it does contain quite a bit of sugar, and its not as supportive as shavings...you prob know all that though! Sorry!

Good luck :) xx

Vet said straw fine as bedding, but following some folks' suggestions on here I consulted my farrier (whose mare had a dose of lami earlier in the year) and he told me of a way to help support his frogs while on straw (involves a tail bandage and some duct tape).

Kal does eat a little straw, if it's clean, but not much and I do make sure I mix the clean straw with the dirtier base which stops him.

This has been a huge, huge learning curve and I certainly hope I can be vigilant enough to never have to do this again (although I'm not holding my breath).

I just want my beautiful boy to be healthy/sound.

P

abercrombie&titch

Visit site
I've got an old bath that I use to soak hay in - carefully positioned with the plug hole over a drain! As you rightly say, your bond with him will definately strengthen even more while you nurse him back to health - best wishes to you both!

Rosehip

Visit site
Vet said straw fine as bedding, but following some folks' suggestions on here I consulted my farrier (whose mare had a dose of lami earlier in the year) and he told me of a way to help support his frogs while on straw (involves a tail bandage and some duct tape).

Kal does eat a little straw, if it's clean, but not much and I do make sure I mix the clean straw with the dirtier base which stops him.

This has been a huge, huge learning curve and I certainly hope I can be vigilant enough to never have to do this again (although I'm not holding my breath).

I just want my beautiful boy to be healthy/sound.

P

Ahhh, :) advice changes so much, so quickly!! Its hard to keep up!!
I have mine on Laminitis Prone from Global Herbs (they find the liquid more palatable than the powder) at 10ml twice a day, and Ive heard that Lamalert from Superfix is ment to be good.... Ill be having a pot to see if I like it better than the global herbs one when Ive saved up for it! :D
Any sort of box rest makes you closer to your horse, when I was sleeping with Seren on foal watch we became very close :) Its the silver lining to the black horrible cloud! xx

AngieandBen

Visit site
:) Thats the spirit stay possitive, there is light at the end of the tunne; !

Sounds like you're doing a grand job, and its nice ( well not nice if you know what I mean ) to spend some time just being with your pony