Kate Greenhalgh neglect

NightStock

Visit site
My deepest sympathy to you and your family Bikerchickone, I am sorry for your loss and then the online abuse you have had to suffer, i'm sure the majority of people have only compassion for you.

I have found the link to the sentencing judges comments. Please note this link contains pictures of some of the horses involved and they are very distressing, I have added their comments below in case you want to avoid the pictures!

I think a ban should have been inevitable, 'recklessness' would have been a one off incident with tragic consequences, not a sustained period of neglect as in this case. As a horse owner who wants to know I can trust a horse professional to take full care of my horse if necessary, what about my human rights?!

District judge Kelly did not impose an order for the deprivation of animals to stop Greenhalgh working with horses.

The judge said Greenhalgh has a “long history of working and riding horses and there have been no concerns over her care of horses before or since”.

She said the equestrian had “many glowing references” from other customers who “spoke highly of her ability to care for horses”.

The offences of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal were out of recklessness not malice, the judge said.

Greenhalgh has no previous convictions and has said she will not offer a winter livery service again and the judge said her remorse was genuine.

“I found that the experience of being the subject of these criminal proceedings and all the adverse publicity and social media interest that she has received will act as a deterrent to this happening again,” the judge said.

The judge said the purpose of a deprivation order is to protect animals, rather than to punish people and said: “I found that to disqualify Ms Greenhalgh from keeping horses would amount to a disproportionate interference with her Article 8 rights as horses are her livelihood and a major part of her private life.”

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19369190.judge-explains-sentence-kate-greenhalgh-horse-neglect/

Goldenstar

Visit site
I fundamentally disagree that people who earn their living from animals should have that taken in account resulting in a more lenient sentence .
Those who make money from animals should be held to a higher standard of care and receive stiffer sentences .
The sentence IMO was far to lenient .

Last edited: