Kate Greenhalgh neglect

fatponee

Visit site
Sussexbythesea - I completely agree. So sorry for your friend.

ycbm - the story is local to me and therefore of interest. I've seen firsthand someone doing exactly the same, charging people for livery and then starving the horses to literally skin and bone. How anyone can do such a thing is beyond me.

[59668]

Visit site
I'm so surprised at this. I have been to look at a horse there with a friend, and know 2 who have bought from her and thought she was one of the good ones.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Abuse is appalling no matter who is dishing it out but I can't fathom how top end yards with world class horses do this? Surely people regularly visit a sales livery/schooling livery yard? Surely fees are high and poverty/failure to cope isnt the reason? Surely you had a great reputation to attract that kind of customer? Surely you were very successful initially to afford such good facilities? It really does seem that greed and cruelty are absolutely everywhere. Hope they throw the book at her. Heartbreaking.

Goldenstar

Visit site
She was selling lovely looking horses till very recently. I cant fathom how you can have well looked after horses on one part of a yard with horses starving in another. Is anyone who knows the yard offering any kind of explanation as to how/why?

I have seen this sort of thing twice when I was a welfare officer and it is inexplicable.
I know nothing about this case or the woman charged but it’s my view as a layperson there’s often mental health issues tied up with behaviour like this .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The head of a local riding club, Carl Dicker, had well bred horses which he sold, while in a back field a 2 year old, I think it was, starved to death, so weak it was unable to get up and left scrabbling in the mud until it died. He was banned for ten years from keeping horses. Until then, he was a well respected horseman in the area, we were all shocked.

I'm not sure any of us will ever understand how people like him and that woman exist. I understand much more easily how the ones that abuse all their animals happen.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Abuse is appalling no matter who is dishing it out but I can't fathom how top end yards with world class horses do this? Surely people regularly visit a sales livery/schooling livery yard? Surely fees are high and poverty/failure to cope isnt the reason? Surely you had a great reputation to attract that kind of customer? Surely you were very successful initially to afford such good facilities? It really does seem that greed and cruelty are absolutely everywhere. Hope they throw the book at her. Heartbreaking.
similar to a certain stud I guess.

Mule

Visit site
I have seen this sort of thing twice when I was a welfare officer and it is inexplicable.
I know nothing about this case or the woman charged but it’s my view as a layperson there’s often mental health issues tied up with behaviour like this .
That must have been a difficult job.

Mule

Visit site
it was eye opening that’s for sure .
Theres something dark going in manyof these people and I think there’s something about control that drives these cases .
The people’s wiring is a bit wrong .
The people with dementia where particularly sad.
Interesting about the control aspect. That wouldn't have occurred to me.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I assume that lockdown made it difficult for anyone to visit the yard. I could be wrong but imagine that for a certain type of person charging a large sum for a service and not performing that service to a well-known/respected 'name' gives a 'buzz'. There is also the aspect of having full control over the animal, which in some cases would be beyond the financial reach of the livery owner. I hope she gets the maximum sentence possible and is banned for life from keeping animals.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Still can't get my head around it. Surely she had grooms? If you work for a low life, bin end dealer, you expect to see shoddy treatment and presumably don't care, or you wouldn't work there. But if you work for someone who appeared to be a liked, respected and successful horsewoman sourcing, selling and caring for quality animals then you would surely speak out? And the same goes for that other place.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Lockdown did make things difficult and hindsight is great however requests for photos could have helped owners .
I have seen myself you should trust no one .
It’s a bit the the safe quarding provisions in schools and such places if people always second checked it’s not personal thing against the carer it’s a backstop .

Snowfilly

Visit site
If you spend long enough in social care / child services you’ll see the same thing with children - the golden child and the scapegoat. One gets food, love and attention, the other is at best neglected and at worse eventually killed.

I have no idea of the mindset behind it but it’s a well documented thing; I often suspect it transfers to animals as well.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Still can't get my head around it. Surely she had grooms? If you work for a low life, bin end dealer, you expect to see shoddy treatment and presumably don't care, or you wouldn't work there. But if you work for someone who appeared to be a liked, respected and successful horsewoman sourcing, selling and caring for quality animals then you would surely speak out? And the same goes for that other place.

How do you know a groom did not speak out ?

Wishfilly

Visit site

But who do they speak to? Welfare charities are not always quick to act, and may dismiss it as malicious reporting. The police are unlikely to see it as a priority.

Not everyone is brave enough to do an exposé on social media?

Also, if you really need the money, you may feel you have to keep your mouth shut until you can find another job?

ETA: it's also possible she may have been lying to grooms e.g. perhaps suggesting certain horses had a medical condition, or similar? I know it would sound very odd, but if she deliberately employed people who were a bit naive and grateful for the opportunity, it's possible she could have persuaded them that there was a reason for everything?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm so surprised at this. I have been to look at a horse there with a friend, and know 2 who have bought from her and thought she was one of the good ones.
As GS posted above, trust no one.

These people can be so convincing.

It's sadly far from rare for this sort of thing to happen.

Reacher

Visit site
I was told about a high profile classical dressage rider /trainer who had a livery yard with neglected ponies in a bad way out the back out of sight (the person who told me reported it). I too don’t understand how it can happen.