Kauto Star - RIP

TBB

Visit site
Yes, Ironic isn't it that he should die in a paddock fall having retired sound after his long racing career. Condolences to all those who loved and cared for him throughout his career and retirement.

silu

Visit site
What a very very sad end for Kauto. I wish my last memory of him was storming home at Kempton rather than that distasteful exhibition at Olympia. He deserved a long and happy retirement which he didn't get.

katherinef

Visit site
Quote from Paul Nicholls

"Nicholls revealed he only learned of Kauto Star's injuries and euthanisation earlier on Tuesday and would have liked to have had the chance to say goodbye.

"In hindsight I wish somebody had informed me and Clifford [Baker, Nicholls' right hand man] and I could have gone to say farewell to him," he said.

"Laura Collett kindly called me before there was a press release this morning. That's the first I knew about it, although I understand the accident happened nearly a week ago," the champion trainer told Sky Sports News."

That's pretty poor they weren't told.

bonny

Visit site
Quote from Paul Nicholls

"Nicholls revealed he only learned of Kauto Star's injuries and euthanisation earlier on Tuesday and would have liked to have had the chance to say goodbye.

"In hindsight I wish somebody had informed me and Clifford [Baker, Nicholls' right hand man] and I could have gone to say farewell to him," he said.

"Laura Collett kindly called me before there was a press release this morning. That's the first I knew about it, although I understand the accident happened nearly a week ago," the champion trainer told Sky Sports News."

That's pretty poor they weren't told.

Let's face it, everything about Kauto Star's retirement has been a PR disaster and that now includes his death. We will never know what happened so speculation will continue and I doubt many people would believe a word that Clive Smith says about it......

Racergirl

Visit site
really don't get why he has to use even a few words about the horses death to snipe.

Really not the time nor place, not that it stops him.

RIP Kauto, you were loved by many all across the horsey world and beyond.

Alec Swan

Visit site
I have such a depth of sorrow, and it's a sorrow which is compounded by a degree of anger.

There's nothing else to say, except that perhaps the greatest Chasing Horse of all time, and one who was almost the property of the Nation's racing fans, has met an end which he didn't deserve.

Alec.

philamena

Visit site
really don't get why he has to use even a few words about the horses death to snipe.

Really not the time nor place, not that it stops him.

RIP Kauto, you were loved by many all across the horsey world and beyond.

I disagree. The fact is that human relationships can go horribly sour, we all know that, it's a human failing. But we should all be big enough to put them behind us when something happens like this which is likely to be devastating for the team who looked after him for so many years. They had time, and could have given the Ditcheat guys more notice and invited them over to say goodbye once they knew it was looking inevitable, so I think Paul's entitled to feel hurt.

RIP Kauto. An awesome horse. I have such fond memories of the Denman / Kauto showdowns and they brought racing to a whole new audience and brought the local community to life every year.

Alec Swan

Visit site
AS A FOOTNOTE;

We're all upset at the loss of this horse. PLEASE will those who feel inclined to post, resist the temptation to contradict others. The views of everyone, are valid, whether we agree with them, or we don't. To have a Forum squabble over such a tragedy, will serve no useful purpose.

Alec.

philamena

Visit site
AS A FOOTNOTE;

We're all upset at the loss of this horse. PLEASE will those who feel inclined to post, resist the temptation to contradict others. The views of everyone, are valid, whether we agree with them, or we don't. To have a Forum squabble over such a tragedy, will serve no useful purpose.

Alec.

Not looking to squabble Alec. Just reflecting on what is decent behaviour in the desperately sad circumstances.

KautoStar1

Visit site
Why? I feel exactly the same way.

Because how do any of us know that he wasn't having a happy retirement. Just because he wasn't hunting doesn't mean he wasn't having a relaxed & happy time. One poor performance under unusual circumstances (for him) doesn't mean he was unhappy or being treated badly.

I don't know why people are 'angry' either. He had an accident in the field as horses do and as could happen to any of our horses. His connections did their best to save him. It didn't work out. They did the only thing they could do

As for Mr Nicholls feeling aggrieved that he wasn't told earlier well maybe if he and his staff hadnt been so publicly rude to his owner, whatever they might have felt was right for the horse, maybe they might have kept in contact with his progress & been involved with him at the end. Just a thought.

Either way I am sad that my equine hero has gone.

Clodagh

Visit site
I am so sorry to hear of his death, what a wonderful life he had and what an ambassador for racing he was.

katherinef

Visit site
Rest in peace mighty Kato. you were worthy of your name way beyond the word. Condolences to all who loved him.

this fabulous, great, great horse was utterly let down in retirement. I am just praying the rumours circulating about what really happened to Kauto are just rumours. But they seem very severe injuries for a paddock accident unless he tried jumping out and sustained a rotational
the fact it was all kept very quiet does not sit well either.

redrufus

New User
Visit site
I have such a depth of sorrow, and it's a sorrow which is compounded by a degree of anger.

There's nothing else to say, except that perhaps the greatest Chasing Horse of all time, and one who was almost the property of the Nation's racing fans, has met an end which he didn't deserve.

Alec.
Completely agree. Rest in peace Kauto, you were one in a million

Alec Swan

Visit site
……..

As for Mr Nicholls feeling aggrieved that he wasn't told earlier well maybe if he and his staff hadnt been so publicly rude to his owner, whatever they might have felt was right for the horse, maybe they might have kept in contact with his progress & been involved with him at the end. Just a thought.

Either way I am sad that my equine hero has gone.

Not here, but elsewhere, I've opined that though the horse himself had a monstrous ego, it was nothing, as an ego, when compared with those who cared for him. Either or whatever, I remain angry.

You're not alone in your worship of Kauto Star, and neither is your adoration misplaced.

Alec.

RUNVS

Visit site
this fabulous, great, great horse was utterly let down in retirement. I am just praying the rumours circulating about what really happened to Kauto are just rumours. But they seem very severe injuries for a paddock accident unless he tried jumping out and sustained a rotational

I had a mare (intermediate eventer) who received almost identical injuries in a paddock accident. She was coming down a slight slope, leapt like a gazelle and stumbled on landing, she did a complete somersault but landed sideways on head first, her body flipped over through her neck and broke it, fortunately she died almost instantaneously.

It is very sad that Kauto should have lost his life in this way especially having retired sound from such a high risk sport. I'm sure that Laura would have given him a happy, active retirement and would have been respectful of his age and wear and tear. It's pointless for people to keep harping back to Olympia, at the end of the day no one could have predicted Kauto's reaction to being alone in the huge indoor crowd there. It was a situation that could not have be rehearsed for and a far cry from him running with a group out on the gallops which let's face it is what his mindset was. Maybe Laura made an error of judgment in trying to continue but there probably wasn't a Plan B and maybe she thought he'd work through it. At the end of the day, everybody makes mistakes, just maybe not quite as publicly. She really doesn't need to be hauled through the dirt time and time again every time Kauto's name crops up on a forum. Let's just remember him in his prime. RIP Kauto, run free in the fields in the clouds x

angelish

Visit site

iv'e just stumbled upon the rumours :( i too really hope there not true