Keep an eye out for this man but stay away

Dobiegirl

Visit site
It is a very sad outcome for the dog regardless of his breed, he was badly let down by his owner who most probabley will go out and get another similar dog.:(

The above link does explain why the woman took the photos, 2 men were helping to get the dogs apart and the woman was convinced her dog was going to die so took the photos so she had some proof of what had happened. Without those photos that man would be free to walk about and the same thing could have happened to another dog.

On some forums a lot of people are blaming the woman, these seem to be owners of bull breeds and IMO is very short sighted. If it was a Dobe that attacked I would be just as disgusted and saddened by what had happened and would want both owner and dog held accountable.

CAYLA

Visit site
It is a very sad outcome for the dog regardless of his breed, he was badly let down by his owner who most probabley will go out and get another similar dog.:(

The above link does explain why the woman took the photos, 2 men were helping to get the dogs apart and the woman was convinced her dog was going to die so took the photos so she had some proof of what had happened. Without those photos that man would be free to walk about and the same thing could have happened to another dog.

On some forums a lot of people are blaming the woman, these seem to be owners of bull breeds and IMO is very short sighted. If it was a Dobe that attacked I would be just as disgusted and saddened by what had happened and would want both owner and dog held accountable.

Well said ^^^^ (totally agree) that woman potentially saved alot more dog becoming victim or bring killed by that self and same idiot with that dog.

Luci07

Visit site
On another post, the woman came on to explain herself. She did indeed take pictures after the attack as she didn't think the details given were correct. I am a stafford fan, I hate hate hate what this pig of an owner has done to further vilify this breed. When will the media wake up and realise that by blaming a BREED they are excusing the owner for his (lack of) action. This man needs to be banned from owning a dog as he is a liability to other owners. I fully appreciate accidents can happen, but it doesn't take 20 -25 minutes to get your dog off someone elses. I would also suggest this may well have happened before. Hope the poor spaniel makes a full recovery.

lexiedhb

Visit site

I think its more arguing against those saying all Staff's and their crosses should be PTS that is getting up the bull breed owners noses, folk some folk simply can not see past the fact it is a bull breed who has done this- which is a shame, and the wondering why pics were being taken - but no one will know how to react in that situation, you'd do what your instincts told you to.

Venevidivici

Visit site
My DR instructor's working spaniel was attacked by a dog, that had attacked others in the area before. She said the attack went on for ages-she was screaming for help,whilst her husband and walker of the attacking dog(it didn't belong to him) tried to prise the dog off the spaniel. Several other people came to help. The dog had 'locked on' to the spaniel's skull and was crushing it. Spaniel gave up fighting and was still but whimpering. Attacking dogs jaws had to be prised apart with a big stick as a lever.(The assisting men had tried to wrestle it off,got bitten in process and then kicked and thumped it,to no avail.) My point is just that dog attacks are not always snarly,gnashing whirlwinds and can indeed go on for a long time. Also,my instructor would have (tho she didn't) been able to take photos-she had stood back,upset,whilst her husband& the passers-by tried to force the dog off,as her efforts had been fruitless. Those not there,should not judge.

Clodagh

Visit site
The whole thing is very sad. I was appalled by the racist comments on facebook (I don't go on there normally). Poor dogs - both of them.

As a matter of interest, how would you get the dogs apart? I imagine pulling them would have been dangerous as you are in effect stretching the spaniels body out, that could have done more harm, or causing the staffies teeth to tear through the flesh? I think I would have tried to strangle the staff off if I had been there. Poor people who had to deal with it.

echodomino

Visit site
I was always told never pull you do more damage and that strangling is the better option. I know they're smaller but still hang on strong, I had to strangle my two Jacks when they last scrapped, I'd never have separated them otherwise until one killed the other which obviously wasn't an option

Luci07

Visit site
Actually there are 3 levels I have seen with staffords. The first is a lot of posturing and jaw jousting which my lot do among themselves. Interestingly, they don't do it with other dogs, even their really good doggy friends at the yard. Then you have a dog snapping and finally you have a dog which locks on and is nigh on impossible to get off. If the dog has a choke chain, it can be twisted before the dog locks or odd though it may sound (and you well get bitten) kicking away the back legs as bull breeds use their back legs to support as they lock on and try to tear. I have not personally seen a bull breed go straight to stage 3 though without a lot of warning.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Restrict the air supply of the attacking dog with whatever you have to hand, as high up on the neck as you can.

But hard to remain calm and focussed.

Kicking, punching, screaming etc/applying pressure to the attacking dog can make it hang on harder or attack you instead.

FionaM12

Visit site
Its Biddenham, Bedfordshire and the owner was bitten when she tried to separate them. From the photos Ive seen on fb the owner of the attacking dog didnt try very hard to stop it and its my belief it was always his intention for his dog to kill that little dog. If I was there I would have found a stick and rammed it up that dogs a**e, it has just made me incredibley angry. This attack went on for about half an hour and the owner of the Staffy x gave a false name to the woman. Its also rather shocking to know although it was reported to the police they are not going to interview the woman until tomorrow which leaves me to believe they are not taking it seriously.

Really? Half an hour? :confused: This is hard to believe. If it was a serious attack, I would think the poor spaniel would be dead or injured beyond recovery in a few minutes.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Really? Half an hour? :confused: This is hard to believe. If it was a serious attack, I would think the poor spaniel would be dead or injured beyond recovery in a few minutes.

Because it locked on to his hind leg, if it had held the Spaniel by the throat it would have been over very quickly.

Lexi I know a lot of people are anti Bull-breeds, I do my best to promote them same as Rotties, Dobes had a bad press a few years back when the dogs were a lot sharper but thankfully they have fallen out of favour. A lot of people believe what they read in the paper and it angers me when I see the same photo of a Staffy showing his teeth. This photo was taken at a dog show and the Staffy was sneezing not snarling but hey the press dont care about that.