Keeping a horse entertained on box rest...

Mariposa

Visit site
Hello all

One of our polo ponies managed to puncture her knee last week, and got rushed into surgery to flush the joint after the joint tap showed infection. Hopefully she will be allowed out of hospital at the end of the week, but then she has 12 weeks of box rest. Its typically bad timing as the ponies were due to go away for 6 weeks holiday in October so it looks like she'll be on her own. She is generally not fussed to be left in the stable without the others as she has a mirror ( which she still seems to think is another horse...), but I wondered if anyone had any tips for how to keep a horse from going totally stir crazy on box rest?

Any tips gratefully received...I think we're going to have a very grumpy little TB on our hands!

pebblemania

Visit site
Hi,

Had my mare on box rest for almost six months. She was really easy think the horrid winter weather heled with that! I found an equiball filled with grass nuggets and a likit tongue twister that screwed on the wall really helped.

Good luck!

Mariposa

Visit site
Thanks both - I just googled the Likit Tongue Twister -that's definitely going on the shopping list!