Keeping a plastic auto drinker in a paddock free of algae

Sugar Plum

Visit site
As the title, does anyone have a miracle 'cure'. I have moved to a new yard where the water trough is full of algae. It has attached itself to the sides and bottom in a manner that scrubbing to try and remove it makes no difference. Any ideas? It isn't big enough for barley straw (which I read about in a previous thread dating to 2020) but I have heard mention of using table salt to scrub the trough and anywhere algae may have grown (including the ball cock) - has anyone had any success with this?

meleeka

Visit site
Bleach then leave then scrub
Have you done this yourself?
Personally I’d never use bleach around horses, nor would I use it in my own drinking glasses. Apart from anything else the smell would put me off.

I have smaller auto troughs so I can empty and clean often. That’s the only way I’ve found to keep the algae at bay.

billylula

Visit site
Yes many times
As.long as you rinse thoroughly it's fine. Any residual smell doesn't seem to bother them in fact they like it.

silv

Visit site
You should be able to buy trough blocks at your local farm shop to stop this happening either that or put a teaspoon of copper sulphate in the trough, it often works.

Suncat

Visit site
Wisdom from our farmer, when I asked a few years ago (having agonised over using chemicals) what the best thing is for cleaning troughs and killing algae and bugs...

Sunlight.

And he's right, works a treat. I just fill up a couple of big buckets/tubs from the trough to keep the horses going for 24hrs, empty the trough, scooping out any crud at the bottom, rinse and let it dry out completely. Ideally on a nice sunny day. Then brush out any dried crustiness and refill. Since I started doing this it stays clear for a lot longer than before (empty/scrub/refill).

I love a simple answer, and Farmer was very smug 😁

Goldenstar

Visit site
Take some water out daily and a better clean once a week .THe hotter is is the water you need to change daily .
I keep a bowl the right side under the trough .

Esmae

Visit site
Would agree the best way is to let them dry right out in the sun. This is more difficult if you have piped water. I have the hosepipe to fill mine and got one too many troughs and change them around so that one is dried out and scrubbed out and ready to go when I need to do the next one. I heard about the salt thing and may well give that a go especially before the winter when half of my troughs get put away until next spring.