Keeping Cool

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Mine don’t really seem bothered. I walk them early morning and evening.
cecil is very happy/asks to come out during the day if I’m doing bits on the yard or whatever. He’s still wanting to run and play, the other 2 are quieter and although both would come out and walk or do the yard they would show signs of being too hot fairly quickly so I make them stay home.
I plan to take them swimming a bit instead of walks when it’s super hot. The little ones won’t swim but our lab will be in heaven and he’s my biggest worry of over heating. We have a really nice private bit of shady river we can get too with a small (5 min) walk

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Took the Lab swimming yesterday, and she took a dip into a small stream on our walk today. I usually hose her down when we get home and this keeps her cool for awhile.

However, she will still just choose to go outside on a hot day and just plop down in the middle of the garden in the full sun and soak it up. So I don't let her spend too much time out there because I'm not sure that I trust her to not overheat.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Ice cream, soaked kibble, ice cream, early and late walks, ice cream, strawberry/raspberry ice cubes and finally some ice cream.

View attachment 95876View attachment 95877

Cuuuute! Ivy hasn't had an ice cream yet. She does get a lot of frozen yoghurt on lickmats though.

ETA - no idea how much actual difference it will make to her but I've been 'Furminating' Ivy today and I am amazed how much underfloof is coming off around her neck. I hope it helps. 37 Celsius forcast next week here. She'll be getting a bath I think!

Last edited:

Moobli

Visit site
Trying to decide what will be best for the kennel dogs on Monday/Tuesday when it’s meant to be really hot even here in Scotland. I think probably exercise very early am /late pm and hosing them down at regular points through the day might work.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
My OH bought the pups a paddling pool. They love it, but being wet always turns them into lunatics, so the post paddling pool zoomies were counterproductive!

Oh they are having a great time! I smoothed Ivy with a damp towel the other day. Mainly her ear and back legs where she feels warm. She went bonkers. Rolling her face all over the floor, spinny zoomies on the spot and then frantically digging the carpet! A hard no from her I think. Poor girl is getting a bath tomorrow to help with the furminating defuzzing. That will be interesting!