keeping guinea pigs inside

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I tried using cardboard bedding as I has my horse on it and it is supposed to be dust free...it didn't really work for my pigs and I then tried shredded paper but that just went everywhere , so ended up lining the floor with lots of sheets of newspaper and put a layer of woodshavings on the top...this worked really well and I never had any problems. i later read that woodshavings aren't recommended but my piggies were all fine on them. i did keep on top of cleaning them out(about twice a week) as they were in the living room with me and they didn't smell....looking forward to your piccies!!!!!!!

3OldPonies

Visit site
I find puppy training pads under a layer of wood pellets (the sort sold for Rabbit litter) works quite well for soaking up the wee and keeping the smell down when my two come in for the winter. Do still need to clear out a couple of times a week though.

Good luck with the piggy hunting!

Morag4

Visit site
I use puppy training pads under fleece with a corner litter tray with either hay or paper pellets in (seperate container for eating hay, a stainless steel utensil holder) Spot clean each day including litter tray and a complete change of fleece etc once a week, works a dream and no smell. :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Mine have just come in at night, I had forgotten how noisy they are every time I open a cupboard!

I use wood pellets on the bottom and a layer of bliss on top (the same as the pony!)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I have a couple of baby sisters that are ready to collect on 21st!

Will post pictures when I get them.

Cage is built and ready to go!

(I did try to get rescues but didn't have much luck)

how exciting!!!! what colours are they and have you got names yet?? looking forward to the piccies...

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Ps has anyone else seen this on youtube?

My boyfriend showed it to me and now he is regretting it as I can't stop singing it!

https://youtu.be/bq9ghmgqoyc
I looked at this and then got into the rest of the guinea pig videos, theres one by petsplanet tv about an outdoor enclosure showing her 8 piggies exploring, its really nice to watch and makes me want some again...

Elbie

Visit site
how exciting!!!! what colours are they and have you got names yet?? looking forward to the piccies...

They are tricolour crested. Have some ideas for names but will need to wait and decide once I get them to see if that's what it looks like their name is, if you get what I mean!

Elbie

Visit site
No mine are more patchy. Not sure if they'd be classed as tortoiseshell? I'm rubbish with the technical names! I mainly picked them as they both have crests and look alike! (Well they are sisters!)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think there are different quantiies of tortieness!

this is a baby pic of mine, she is white the other side apart from her face
11021097_10155384543105438_7650033287379225699_n.jpg

Since they came in at night can't even get off the sofa without being shouted at! I thought I had missed having them in but I could do with a mute button at times!

Elbie

Visit site
Loving the piggies pictures!

When I get my girls you can tell me what colour they are classed as! Breeder advertised as tricolour (which I would deem as stripey patterned in my head) but my guinea pig book says it's tortoiseshell.

Can't wait to get them! Have everything ready and waiting. Many trips have been had to the pet shop to buy toys or hidey holes.

Elbie

Visit site
My babies are here! Decided to settle for wood chip bedding for now and will revisit later whether to get fleece or not!

Have been trying to leave them alone this weekend to give them time to settle. Lots of paralysis acting at the mo! Will add some pictures later in the week once they start getting out and about

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
My babies are here! Decided to settle for wood chip bedding for now and will revisit later whether to get fleece or not!

Have been trying to leave them alone this weekend to give them time to settle. Lots of paralysis acting at the mo! Will add some pictures later in the week once they start getting out and about

how are the piggies? any chance of pics???

Elbie

Visit site
how are the piggies? any chance of pics???

Gah! Sorry I've been rubbish!

Only just managed to get some decent-ish photos of them. They were always either hiding or running too quickly!

They are getting on fine. They are definitely getting braver and more used to me coming and going now. They hardly wait for me to leave before coming out to get veggies I've left them and this morning I got my first wheek for breakfast!

Struggling a bit with the handling. I have been using the method of shepherding into a tube to transport them in and out of the cage. That worked well intially but now they just run round and round and even when cornered they refuse to go in and will find a way to evade me! Guessing with time it will get better. At the minute I've trying to make it that tube = floor time which = veggies. Trying a bit of old positive reinforcement!

At work at the minute but will put some pics up when home.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
its early days and the wheek is very positive....I didn't move mine out of the cage until they were happy to be stroked and picked up for a couple of seconds and then put back down..they just need to get confidence that you wont hurt them. they really don't like being picked up at first but mine came round quite quickly when they realised I was the provider of nice things , especially grass, dandelions or cucumber...

Elbie

Visit site
They started off happy to be herded in to the tube. I would have a little hold of each before putting back in the cage. They are fairly happy out of the cage. Last night I was cleaning them out and they were happily running around playing. Not hiding because I was making noise!

Last night there was some epic pop corning and wheeking going on!

ahorseandadog

Visit site
My Guinea pigs lived inside their whole lives. Their cage was spacious (I recommend C&C) and I would occasionally let them out to run around my room under supervision. Sometimes, I would bring them large chunks of grass from the outdoors and my vet said they were the healthiest Guinea pigs he knew. Don't think it's a problem leaving them inside as long as they have room to run.