Keeping hat silks on HSi's!

SamuelWhiskers

Visit site
Hi all

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Also can those of you with Hsi's or good ideas give me some tips on keeping my hat velvet on! I've lost it twice xc this season, which has resulted in really disappointing photographs :-( but i did retrieve it, thanks to helpful fence judges!

But i also lost my velvet out hunting the other week, so not only did it cost me for buying a new one, i had to spend most of the day looking like this !!!!!

P1030792.jpg

Any tips greatly appreciated, to save further rib tickling and nick named the "silver bullet!"

Many thanks !

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Depends how you wear it if you have your peak up to expose badge go round once with it under peak and second time below. Use co or donating tape. My silk is fine but my hs1 is black and they are grippier.

Lots of pros tape theirs Andrew n just one example!

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
I haven't ever had a problem with losing my silk, although I don't have the badge on show - I cover my hat like normal. (its a pet dislike of mine)

I have seen people use the bandage tape - taped around the hat - buy either black or the same colour as your silk :)

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
I have had a few days hunting like that, much to the amusement of everyone else. :eek:

I have now sewed the back of the hat silk onto the lace up bit at the back of the hat (does that make sense?) because although now it still can fly off in the wind, I can grab it back on and so I don't lose it :D Works a treat and looks much smarter than tape around your hat!!

humblepie

Visit site
I hadn't had a "skull cap" type hat for years but bought a HS1 this year and have solved the problem by sewing it on - I have sewed through the material and round and round the leather straps. It looks fine and it will always have the same coloured cover on it as I only use it at home.

Was driving me up the wall as it kept coming off in the car boot and I was having to scramble around for it.

A friend has one and said the tie on type silks are much better than the elastic ones.

SpottedCat

Visit site
If you have a lycra silk they do not stay on. A proper old-fashioned velvet cover (not lycra velvet) stays on fine, as does a proper silk rather than a lycra one.

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
If you have a lycra silk they do not stay on. A proper old-fashioned velvet cover (not lycra velvet) stays on fine, as does a proper silk rather than a lycra one.

I have a proper velvet one and it still flys off- the older version of the HS1 hats has a lot less of the grippy bobbly stuff, which is why they fly off.
I think they have changed the design now...?

SpottedCat

Visit site
I have a proper velvet one and it still flys off- the older version of the HS1 hats has a lot less of the grippy bobbly stuff, which is why they fly off.
I think they have changed the design now...?

I've had HS1s pretty much since they came out and have never once lost my silk - except when I mistakenly bought a lycra one! I hear all these stories about them flying off and it has just never happened when I've had a proper velvet or silk one. :confused:

frannieuk

Visit site
I've had HS1s pretty much since they came out and have never once lost my silk - except when I mistakenly bought a lycra one! I hear all these stories about them flying off and it has just never happened when I've had a proper velvet or silk one. :confused:

Mine was lycra - think I will be purchasing a replacement in silk!

Herts05

Visit site
Can't comment on the HS1, but I have the Protector skull which is covered in a rough finish which I was told was in order that hat covers stay on

Grey_Eventer

Visit site

Oh :( Not sure on that one then!? :s
I know they have added more bobbly bits because I think it was a common problem loosing your hat silk!
I only lose mine at high speeds (hunting) or on a tree!

sam1am

Visit site
Mine used to drive me nuts, got an old fashioned tied on silk which is great but for hunting use a plain navy cover with black electrical tape! On the hunt for a navy hat silk with ties now!

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Definetely depends on the type of silk. I have a lycra one and its never came off including a gallop on an exposed Northumbrian beach in really windy weather. However my velvet that I got to look smarter blew off twice in the warm up the first time I tried it. Will try electricians tape as want to use velvet for sj and lycra for xc.

Teeni

Visit site
Is it just people with the silver HS1 hats?

I've got a black HS1 and just use your bog standard silk or velvet on it and i have never lost it, its in and out of a hat bag all the time and not even a slight slip!

BombayMix

Visit site
I have a old fashioned silk with the ties and it came off (silver hat) so bought one of those jockey elastic band things and have never had a problem.

IIRC the silver and pink HS1's only have grippy patches whereas the black hat has the grip the whole way over the shell of the hat (stand to be corrected though)

DunDally

Visit site
Daughter has the silver HS1 and wears her silk peak up with badge showing. after losing two silks XC, I bought a pack of sticky velcro dots, widely available in tesco, sainsburys etc and to stick to hat and silk. They work! no lost silk since :D

TheoryX1

Visit site
A tiny safety pin at the rear of the hat, pinned as far away from head as possible and pinned to the hat silk. Also the Treehouse ones which are silk and lined dont seem to be quite as mobile as the lycra ones. Works for Mini TX when she goes xc.