keeping heels down...

Chestnutmare

Visit site
One of my biggest issue is I raise my heel when asking for trot or canter, I try my hardest to keep it down, I tend to ride short too even though have long legs.

My head also tilts badly
Shoulders rounded :(
Hands well thats another matter entirerly :( :(

I always have a soft contact always get told to take more of a contact.

I am already looking into lessons again as I want to help myself and Finn loads.

Can anyone suggest any exercises or things I can do in the meantime to assist with any of the above?.

Pics for help... I am open for crit I need it.

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

not a great pic
Terrible terrible terrible :( :(
IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

Thanks for any help

(Saddle really not helping much but this is also being looked into)

Last edited:

OpalFruits

Visit site
I would suggest really lengthening your stirrups :) I had the same problem, I now ride with much much longer stirrups and the problem has gone away completely :D

Last edited:

Pebbles

Visit site
Hi hun, I very annoyingly do the self same thing. Wouldn't presume to offer any advice except getting a good instructor, I am starting with a new one very soon, so will be interested to see how he helps me not to do it!! Think you are being a little tough on yourself too though x

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I think if I were you I would try and get hold of books by Mary Wanless, Molly Sivewright and Sylvia Loch, all have different ways of describing the same things :) It may also be a good idea to spend some time using a balance ball to help to build your core muscles. A good instructor will help a lot:)

OpalFruits

Visit site
OOH thank you MillieMoo *scurries off to lengthen leathers immediately*!!!

Honestly it helps so much :) Get them so your knee is sort of behind the knee roll of the saddle. I'm probably not explaining it right, without seeing you sitting in your saddle it's difficult to tell! You'll probably feel like your standing rather than sitting :)

Chestnutmare

Visit site
Instructor already sought will be starting hopefully in couple weeks so its a start i tried lengthening them but feel so weird like this, I am so used to riding short, but things have to change wont they ha ha

Thanks though ladies :)

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Two holes or three at least, if you do some work on riding without stirrups this will help you, provided you don't try to to compensate by lifting your legs up.
Lift your inner thigh with your hand and let it go on to the saddle flat, all good riders have flat inner thighs.
Keep your hands together most of the time. Think about sitting with a nice toned back, and look between the ears, look a bit more snooty, lol.
Carry a schooling whip to back up your aids as when you lower your legs, you will alter the position of your aids.

Last edited:

tasel

Visit site
LEGS/FEET:
- lengthen the stirrup, and then lengthen your upper leg. Seriously, it helps. Many people have the problem of lengthening the stirrups, and then reach with their lower leg/feet... not changing the position of the upper leg at all... which isn't the point.
- don't kick with heels. Think of pressure coming from the inside of your calves/feet. This will also make the aid so much more subtle.

REINS:
- a bit long on the first few pics, and hands are too wide apart. They should only be as far apart as the horse's ears.
- nose is more than just slightly in front of the vertical, so the horse is not really using his/her back. Try squeezing hands, one after the other. Most trained horses will put their heads down, and you have to keep it that way.
- reins should feel a bit like an elastic band. There has to be a little bit of resistance there. Look at the professional riders - their reins are always a straight line, not sloppy and hanging.

Not a teacher but I thought of what my teacher would say...

Last edited:

TrasaM

Visit site
I'm really familiar with that problem too.:) I think I started to do it when learning on a very lazy RS horse then it became ingrained and hard to change. Riding without stirrups helped me and my canter is so much better since I stopped lifting my heel. I tilt (or used to) my head to the left so I try looking to the right when riding on the left rein. ( makes it a bit hard to see the circle though lol )
A good riding instructor will soon get you sorted and you'll be amazed how quickly you'll stop doing it once you have someone to remind you. :)

Chestnutmare

Visit site
I know its the inside of my calf I should be using and I have to go back to wearing my boots and chaps I get a much better feel.

Reins yes always my issue
He is all upside down in regards to using himself, he is lovely and light in the mouth, but he also bends in alot esp at corners, sticks head out an awful lot, but in time and correct instructor I am sure we will get there.

I will lengthen stirrups tomorrow as off out on a hack so may help, hands yes will bring them in I try my hardest to keep myself soft coming through the shoulder to my wrists I am so concious.

I appreciate all the crit though thanks

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Some good ideas already but I would suggest, lifting your hands and bringing them much closer together - about 4 inches apart. Ride without stirrups, which will put your whole body into a much better position.
I think your idea of a good instructor is the way forward.

Circe

Visit site
I dont think the saddle is helping you, but you are on to that already?
Ride without stirrups and do some stretches and exercises on your horse ( if he is quiet enough ),
so things like swinging your legs back and forth, from the hip,
cycle motion your legs around,
Put your leg into "position" and then lift your legs out to the side from the hip ( this one kills ),
pull your legs up like a jockey and ride around really feeling your seat bones, then lower your leg and stretch down while still feeling your seat bones, then take back your stirrups, you should feel like you want to lengthen them a hole.
As you are riding around concentrate on keeping soft and loose in your hips and knees and thinking about sinking into your stirrups. it takes a while, but you should be able to keep a stronger leg position.
Kx

cornbrodolly

Visit site
I used to ride very much like this - like me you are well muscled and I bet your muscles like to 'help' in all activities. This encourages the body to 'shorten' aas the muscles become active , pulling your arms and shoulders forward , and lifting heels/calves up , and takes you off the saddle. Alexander Technique g.ot me dropping my lower legs , opening the hip joints etc , and now I ride much longer. I now teach AT , in Yorks , and work with riders.
Riding bareback or at least without stirrups is another way to get lower legs lengthening, and knowing how to do less with your muscles and thereby allowing the skeleton and deep support muscles to align/balance your body. [sorry its gone into A T speak!]

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Do you do any work without stirrups?

I think you need to sit deeper in your saddle and have more weight through your heel.

Your hands well reins too long and to wide.

These are things you improve on by having someone shouting at you every time you revert to bad habits ie an instructor and you are doing that so that's good :)
You could get your oh or someone to video you schooling and have short breaks to review the vid then you see your faults and do a bit more thinking about improving them.

I am so glad I did the bouncing around with no stirrups as a child because it never leaves you once you have a good seat.

As you say your saddle doesn't look like its helping, looks quite uncomfortable for you.

Good luck. He is a lovely looking horse and your habits will be easily rectified, they are the things most of us do and don't notice til pointed out.

hoggedmane

Visit site
He is a lovely horse. I agree with the instructor comments completely. The only thing I would say is (as my instructor said to me many a time) don't worry about where his head is until you are sitting properly and he can use his back end properly. Then you can work him forward into an outline. Using the reins to bring his head in/down will just result in a false outline.

Good luck.

sarahann1

Visit site
I can be guilty of this too. From your pics it looks like you might be a bit tight with your knees which can de stabilize your lower leg a surprising amount. Lots of riding without stirrups and a good instructor are a good cure. Good luck!

Red30563

Visit site
I would echo what the others have said re: lengthen stirrups, and do some work without stirrups.

A tip my instructor told me is, instead of thinking 'heels down', think 'open the back of the knee.' I don't know why but that image really helped my leg position.

Your horse is lovely, by the way! :)

Chestnutmare

Visit site
Thank you so much for all your comments they are certainly being taken on board I shall lengthen them for my early morning hack tomorrow, when I next school I will go without stirrups he is as good as gold so riding without stirrups will be OK.

He doesn't quite know how to bring himself into an outline, he falls in going round corners head out, I am also lunging him so he can work through his back bringing his hocks nicely underneath himself, but its all work in progress.

He was only used as a hack to local pub in village and back before I got him so work to be done on us both.

hoggedmane

Visit site
My mare was also falling in round the corner with her shoulder which lead to her head being out. We were then getting into a bit of a cycle which lead to a loss of balance. I have been riding for years (and have had this horse for 11 years) but hadn't had lessons for a couple of years. The first lesson with my instructor last November was amazing - she just got me to lift my hands slightly and a couple of other adjustments and the improvement was incredible. We have done a lot of leg yielding to the track off a short diagonal (C to B or E) to get her working into my outside hand and more in balance.
I also tilt my head! I also have a bad habit where I don't keep my hands on opposite sides of her neck.

Good luck with your boy he looks lovely.

TrasaM

Visit site
I used to ride very much like this - like me you are well muscled and I bet your muscles like to 'help' in all activities. This encourages the body to 'shorten' aas the muscles become active , pulling your arms and shoulders forward , and lifting heels/calves up , and takes you off the saddle. Alexander Technique g.ot me dropping my lower legs , opening the hip joints etc , and now I ride much longer. I now teach AT , in Yorks , and work with riders.
Riding bareback or at least without stirrups is another way to get lower legs lengthening, and knowing how to do less with your muscles and thereby allowing the skeleton and deep support muscles to align/balance your body. [sorry its gone into A T speak!]

I also resorted to AT and it's really helped. My posture and balance has really improved and I am much better at sensing where the tension is in my body. Identifying where the problem is is half the battle. :)

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I would try riding in proper riding boots too. Country boots like that are heavy and it's easier in them to just lift the heel that actually bring the leg back.

That's why I dont ever ride in mine, I really found a difference between riding in them and boots and gaitors.

It will make correcting a problem (if there is one when you ride in lighter foot wear) much easier

Jen

holzrokz

Visit site
I have all the same issues, although improving with the help of a good instructor - seems to take forever though!

You're colchester area arn't you? I can offer to shout ''heels down'' at you or take some video footage if you like :D

Alternatively i've joined the gym again recently and am starting pilates and an aerobics class which also works on your core if you wanted to join :)

Chestnutmare

Visit site
I would try riding in proper riding boots too. Country boots like that are heavy and it's easier in them to just lift the heel that actually bring the leg back.

That's why I dont ever ride in mine, I really found a difference between riding in them and boots and gaitors.

It will make correcting a problem (if there is one when you ride in lighter foot wear) much easier

Jen

I keep meaning to wear my joddie boots and chaps I feel the horse lots more wearing them, will do tomorrow

Chestnutmare

Visit site
I have all the same issues, although improving with the help of a good instructor - seems to take forever though!

You're colchester area arn't you? I can offer to shout ''heels down'' at you or take some video footage if you like :D

Alternatively i've joined the gym again recently and am starting pilates and an aerobics class which also works on your core if you wanted to join :)

Yeah Im in Colchester, and I went to the gym first thing this am for a good workout, as I too need to sort myself out not been in saddle for a long time.

Can't wait to get lessons started either will be great :)
Saddler is coming out beg of month quite a few of us at yard getting saddles checked, def need new one for me.

Hubby comes along sometimes and I ask him to take video's but I still hate seeing myself like this :(

mulberrymill

Visit site
This thread has helped me so much. Been riding for more years than I care to mention, but havent had lessons for many many years. Got someone to video me tonight in a schooling session cos feel my young boy is ready to move on to the next stage and wanted to view his way of going. I was horrified when I saw my riding, had no idea my legs were so bad, no wonder the poor lad isnt going as well as I hoped he would. Im also stopping riding in country boots, and changing to short boots and gaitors, concentrating on my thigh position, riding without stirrups until i can lengthen them, as have noticed my stirrups getting shorter and shorter , and now have severe pain when i get off after a long ride, my knees and hips seem to collapse, and never had this until recently.

Im sure in my case, its been made worse cos he was so nappy, I was concentrating all my efforts on getting him just to go forward for more than 2 of 3 strides at a time, and for me to stay on. We seem over this now, but my position seems to have stayed in the wrong place. So no more advancement for him , but severe telling off for me, and concentrating on my position, which may mean that he moves to the next stage naturally if Im not hindering him by riding like a plonker.

We all get into bad habits over the years, but its quite scarey how bad!!!