Keeping horse out 24/7 - clipping questions...

Chumsmum

Visit site
A bit of background..

Pony will be living out this winter 24/7 for first time since I've had him (3 years). He is coming back in to work since having a steroid injection for Bone Spavin 6 weeks ago so we are working 5 times a week for about an hour, sometimes a bit more, mainly hacking inc trotting and just starting cantering. Just about to start flatwork lessons again - he needs to build up muscle and start carrying himself properly.

Pony is a native type and grows a very thick coat. He sweats easily even when fit. He doesn't like being too warm. Last year (when stabled at night) he was clipped right out - just saddle/legs left on. This really suited us both.

Now we wont be attempting anything as exciting as hunting but possibly some fun stuff like fun rides / low level jumping which he finds quite thrilling
crazy.gif

Just wondering what people thought of clipping horses when out 24/7? Whatever I do I will be leaving his legs on for protection / warmth. Obviously he has the arthritis in one hock but should I be keeping the whole body warmer? He is 16yo. I've have plenty of rugs and a new thick exercise sheet. Just thinking that he is not going to have a warm shavings bed when he lies down etc, his belly will be exposed - or am I being pathetic?
blush.gif

Or is there something I could do now to stop his coat growing as thick? Rug now? Someone suggested last year that if I clip out fully the first time it wont grow back as thick and will only need a trace or something in Dec/Jan?

Here is a picture of the sweaty beast when he just had a high trace clip - we were hunting so very exciting but gives you some sort of idea
grin.gif

Hunting-1.jpg

Sorry for all the questions - just want to get it right
blush.gif
grin.gif

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
One of mine is a little hairy native who lives out. I have found he gets very sweaty when worked, so I clip him out, just leaving his legs and half a face, rug him up well and give him lots of hay and he is absolutely fine.
grin.gif

tabithakat64

Visit site
As long as his rugged and you have time to make sure he's properly cooled off after exercise he should be fine living out with a clip such as the one in the picture of him that you've attached. I've been told that rugging early stops the coat from growing so thick so that might be worth a try.

ladyt25

Visit site
I would say a high trace or blanket clip will be fine if you have enough rugs. My horse is dun too and grows a thick coat so is fully clipped (legs and all - or he looks terrible) but he is stabled at night and has a full neck NZ out in the day. However, he also can get too warm and hates it so I have to rug according to the weather esp at the beginning and end of winter when it's not soo cold.

My Welsh x pony though lives out 24/7 and i used to clip him when he was ridden (actually he used to have the luxury of a stable at night til my sister got her horse) but he was fine living out witha decent rug with a trace clip - he gets too sweaty doing even pretyy light work.

So, in a nutshell, yes your horse will be fine I'm sure, I think from looking at his type he'll be a pretty good doer anyway and should struggle with the cold if you have a sufficient rug supply!

Horsemad12

Visit site
Hi will be fine with any clip (I have wintered a TB out with a full clip) as along as there is shelter, plenty of food ie hay when the grass is short and you have a good supply of rugs.

My TB had a HW with a hood and then when it was really cold a middle weight over the top. I found two turnout rugs worked better than a stable underneath as they moved less (Designed for movement I guess).

The only time I brought in was if it was REALLY WET AND WINDY.

Always left legs and half a face,

I am sure there will be some thinking - winter a TB out (I have had that rection lots of times) but he was warm and far happier walking round than being in a cage (Sorry stable!)

saz5083

Visit site
My 17 year old will be living out again this year with a high trace clip and some good rugs
smile.gif
He was always a pampered pony, full clip, big bed, in at night, and I have to say he is so much happier being out and he comes out of the winter looking fab! Field has natural shelter and I feed ad-lib haylage and Iv never had a problem in the 5years he's been out.
The six year old will be out as well but with a full clip and a decent reg. He's a very hot boy too and this worked well for us last year.
Good luck with whatever you chose. At 16 Id go for a trace clip and some good rugs and Im sure he'll be fine
smile.gif

zoegolding

Visit site
As long as your horse is well rugged up and has shelter there is no reason not to do a full clip. My eventer lived out 24/7 with a full clip (he was an ISH) and he was fine. A top American eventer that I worked for also fully clipped all her horses in winter and they all lived out all year and it gets a lot colder over there than it does here!

Honeypots

Visit site
My shettie, Connie type and cob get clipped in winter. So far I haven't rugged them either but this year they are doing more work (except shettie who's never done a days work in his life..lol) so I may clip off more and rug.. They usually get a low trace..
This is shettie in winter..

familyn549.jpg

scrat

Visit site
We have traditional cob that lives out fully clipped and well rugged. Legs are left unclipped and half his face. However we may leave more hair on his head and face this year as his cheeks became a bit dry and chapped last year where he rolled in the mud!

Chumsmum

Visit site
Thanks for replies everyone - lots of great information!

I am very tempted to go for a full clip less legs/saddle/face - it really did suit him last year and because of the arthritis and the need to keep him moving I am probably going to be doing more work with him than last year.

We don't have a field shelter but there is natural shelter and we will have the use of a stable in bad weather if needed.

The only thing bothering me is will his belly be cold when lying down in the grass - though he is only a short arse and the rugs come down to his knees lol
blush.gif
grin.gif

Chumsmum

Visit site
HP - how cute is your Shetland!!

Don't think I will be clipping mine (never done a day's work either) though they didn't seem to mind when they were clipped for the freezemark - they only objected when she started doing the mark...
crazy.gif
grin.gif

Chumsmum

Visit site
That's a nice clip - lovely photo! It would probably do the job.

Argh, can't make my mind up now! Trouble is if I do that clip it makes his hairy bits look even hairier if you know what I mean
crazy.gif
I'm already thinking about the mess when his winter coat comes out next spring... And I know that the girl who clips him will say 'all off' so she hasn't got to worry about straight lines
grin.gif

Still thinking..

JenHunt

Visit site
give him a hunter clip - leave his legs and half his face.

give him plenty of hay, and if he needs more energy give him a high oil feed like full fat soya (or add a cup of soya oil to his dinner) to give him enough energy to keep himself warm without losing condition.

give him plenty of rugs, and just keep an eye on his temperature on the warmer days and the really cold days.

Honeypots

Visit site
Are there any turnout rugs that have belly flaps too. I know I have one but its a sweet itch turnout rug. Or maybe one with really low surcingles that pull the rug under the belly a bit...

brightmount

Visit site
Yes some of the Weatherbeeta have belly flaps. I've got a heavyweight Taka Combo that does. Also my Rambo is cut so that it covers pretty much all the belly when the straps are done up.

Chumsmum

Visit site
Great tips again!

Will probably get him another HW T/O so I have two or more of everything
grin.gif
so will look at the rugs that cover the belly well - I love my Amigos so will probably like the Rambo.

Thanks!