keeping horse stabled? need advice

lolly10fi

Visit site
My horse paces by the fence when she is out in the field, i was wondering if its okay to keep horses in over day and night with loads of hay but i would put her out for a hour to stretch her legs and also ride for 30-60 mins a day for exercise, whats everyones opinion? Not sure whats the best to do

Lambkins

Visit site
Does she have a friend ? Does she have hay / grass in the field ? Have u tried exercising before turnout ? Is she warm enough ? Is she to hot ? :)

be positive

Visit site
I would try and work out why she is not settled in the field, does she have company, enough to eat etc before keeping her in all the time, the more she is in the less likely she is to ever settle outside and it can be difficult to exercise them enough if the weather gets really bad.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
I wouldn't be happy having a horse in with only 30-60 mins exercise a day!

She would probably be happier if she had a friend in her field! and enough to eat!?

lolly10fi

Visit site
I dont know why she wont settle, she has another 2 horses with her which only go out for couple hours but as im at college in the day, the only choice i have is for her to stay in all day or stay out all day :/

be positive

Visit site
I dont know why she wont settle, she has another 2 horses with her which only go out for couple hours but as im at college in the day, the only choice i have is for her to stay in all day or stay out all day :/

So she is left when they come in, that is why she will not settle could she go out with another horse that does get left for longer or arrange for the owners to bring her in rather than leaving her, most yards will not allow one to be left in this way as it does tend to upset them.

lolly10fi

Visit site
Iv asked and she doesnt want to bring 3 horses in at same time as it takes 10 mins to walk back from their field to stable but i could see if someone else could get her in

p87

Visit site
If she is unhappy and there is no one willing to give you a hand to help settle her I would consider moving yards. No way would I keep a horse stabled 24/7, unless there was an extreme reason for doing so, but then I would be questioning the horses well being a lot more thoroughly. Horses are designed to be out in a field with a herd, not shut in a box all day and night.

Lambkins

Visit site
Put an ad on preloved .. For a helper ? Maybe a mum or someone with time on their hands to bring in at lunchtime do jobs for a free ride maybe? Or move yards to assisted DIY ?

TheEquineOak

Visit site
I feel sorry for you and your horse. It's hard juggling work/study around your horse by yourself.

Personally, I would not be on a yard where it is deemed acceptable to leave one horse out in a field by itself. If there are three in the field, why can't one be brought in and you can bring the other two in when you get to the yard? If not, I would consider moving.