Keeping Horse Trailer Clean

nato

Visit site
Just wondering how you maintain your trailer - cleaning, airing, etc? I have an IW505 which I bed with shavings when I travel my horse. After each journey I pull out the dirty shavings and brush the trailer down, pulling up the clean shavings to the top of the trailer so it can air out.

However I see some people empty the shavings out completely and hose it down after each use. Just wondering what the best way to maintain the trailer is, as I've only had it a few weeks? My mare doesn't tend to urinate when she travels, but she poops as much as possible, and those spring grass poos are pretty bad right now :eek:

trottingon

Visit site
I muck mine out and put all the clean straw in the front of the trailer, then give the back half a really good brush out and wash it out by winding up the jockey wheel quite high until the trailer is raised at the front so the water will naturally flow out of the back and leave the bedding at the front nice and dry.
I always close all the doors and windows and roof vent when I park it up, as I feel there is enough airflow through the vents to stop the insides getting damp and I certainly don't want to risk any rain getting in.
Oh and you should leave it stored with the jockey wheel at the right height for the weight to be distributed evenly over the front and back wheels because this suits the tyres best.
Hope this helps
Mx

Mynyddcymro

Visit site
We've not long purchased our 505, we don't travel with any bedding in the trailer. My older Shetland instantly wees as soon as he's loaded, both leaving the yard and showground. I will be attempting to catch him with a bucket on our next outing! I always sweep out any muck and raise the trailer right up and trickle water down from front to back to clear the urine out, luckily we have been able to leave the ramps down for a few hours thanks to good weather so the trailer is completely dry before all ramps and windows are shut.

QueenDee_

Visit site
I don't use any bedding in, so just clean out and wash (bucket and broom) after each journey.

With my previous trailer- an IW505, I made the mistake of jetwashing it a lot, which I think contributed to weakening the sides, as the front ramp showed some water damage. However it was also stored outside for about 10 years which also wouldn't have helped.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I don't use bedding we just sweep out and give a quick swill and use a bit green gloop ( mat cleaner ) .
Every so often we wash with a hose and scrub the floor and wash the rest with buckets and sponges and rinse with the hose .
I never use the power washer it's really bad for things like trailers .

Dry Rot

Visit site
I have a power washer which I would not be without but just posting really that I think it is advised to block the wheels and, if it is safe to do so, leave the hand brake off. Sometimes the brakes can seize 'on' and you don't want that.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Yep I clean my trailer out and rinse after each use but I have an aluminium floor in mine, I wouldn't constantly wash a wooden floored trailer.

I also don't use bedding, never found a grip problem with or without bedding in the trailer.

I also have an old hoof pick hanging in the trailer for cleaning out the grooves in the rubber matting of my 505 as on hot days the poo has got ten hard after being tromped into the floor.

Lucyad

Visit site
Is pressure washing bad? I don't pressure wash on every use but every few weeks I do. it is an aluminium floored Ifor 510. I don't use bedding and horse never pees in the trailer (I don't go too far).

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I feel a bit bad now, I have an ifor 510 and just swept out as much of the poop as possible after each use then just park it up again. I dont hose or rinse with water etc, and it has never smelt or grown mould etc.

QueenDee_

Visit site
Is pressure washing bad? I don't pressure wash on every use but every few weeks I do. it is an aluminium floored Ifor 510. I don't use bedding and horse never pees in the trailer (I don't go too far).

Depending on the age of your Ifor, even if the floor is aluminium (as mine was) the sides may be wood, which will rot if damp.

asmp

Visit site

A trailer I owned turned out to have rotting walls and ramps - I believe it was because the girl I bought it from used to power wash inside.