Keeping Horses fit in this weather

Flosii

Visit site
Apologies if this has already been discussed......

I am curious as to how folks are keeping horse fit in this weather. At the moment we are reduced to cantering laps pf the school, but even then this is not possible if we have had heavy rain.

I am hoping to do my first hunter trial at the begining of April, however very concerned that we are just not going to a) have the ground to go at all and b) ponio just will not be fit enough.

horsefeed

Visit site
20 minutes hard lunging twice a week mostly at canter with 2 foot jump each side of the circle and then 2 long hacks at weekends, 2 hours plus of mostly trot and canters/gallops whenever I can safely. Turnout everyday for minimum of 4 hours.

AliceCrail

Visit site
I'm trying to get my mare fit for a novice team chase at the end of March, and some ODE's in April and May at the moment.
Thankfully she is mostly TB so keeps her fitness really well.
She is currently being worked 5 days a week on average, mostly schooling, some days with poles/small jumps, I was going out for a trot around the village once or twice a week with a friend but friend is now working, and I don't like hacking by myself.
I plan to do some interval training once a week if this dry weather continues. Another month could see a huge change in the weather so not panicking just yet, but keeping a close eye on how fit we both are.
Our biggest problem is the turnout atm, it is so boggy they just stand there, so hardly counts as exercise!

Bazzel

Visit site
Heavily relying on the weather forecast so that if it says it will be dry for an hour at say 11am, we are tacked up and ready to get out for a walk/trot hack along the dry tracks. Failing that we just wear lots of waterproofs and thoroughly dry the horses off before we turnout (they live out almost 25/7). Also hire an arena whenever possible for lunging and schooling and just be prepared to get soggy!

Fransurrey

Visit site
Hacking in waterproofs and with studded hoof boots plus waterproof quarter sheet on him. He's actually quite fit at the moment! Even so, washing the boots completely after every ride is wearing rather thin!!

Flosii

Visit site
Oh dont get me wrong, I am not adverse to riding in the wet/ cold weather by any means. However having a full time job means riding at night, currently floodlights are not working and he gets ridden twice on a sat then either long hack or rally on a sunday. I just feel I should be doing more.

As for cantering out and about I think I would have more luck tring to waterski!

Roll on the dry waether and then we can all complain about how hard the ground is!! :)

leflynn

Visit site
2 long hacks or 1 and a comp on a weekend, on the horse walker for an hour once or twice a week depending how bad the weather is. Schooled once a week then lunged once or twice a week too, will be able to build up the hacking as the nights/mornings get a bit lighter too

CIJ

Visit site
I work full time, keep my horse at home and have no facilities at home. I box her up and have a dressage lesson indoors on a Tues night, jumping lesson indoors on a Thurs night and at the weekend if the roads aren't too bad I will either do an hours roadwork (as there isn't much else to do at the mo) or box her up and take her to the beach, which is only 10mins away, and do schooling/canter work. My mare is mostly WB and is actually fitter than you think :)

Last edited:

Charlie007

Visit site
If weather allows I hack out both days at the weekend. I school on a monday, Wednesday and Friday at the minute but change according to the weather!! Will be starting dressage competitions soon at the weekend and he is plenty fit enough for this. He is turned out for at least 8 hours a day.

amandaco2

Visit site
Mine school 3x week, hack 1 to 2x week, 1 interval session 3.1 sets x4, lunge 1 to 2 and pessoa lunge 1x. Aim to do gallops every 2 weeks.
often do am and pm session on weekends.
they are dr horses.

Spottyappy

Visit site
Have own yard, no facilities. Usually box up to hack but the forestry commission keep closing the lorry park due to the adverse weather and needing to put machinery in it to clear trees! Have use of nearby school, but the weather has been too difficult to hire it regularly, sadly.
So, as of this weekend, our mare is going to livery where they have an indoor school, as we need to have her fit ready for county shows, so she will get some exercise whatever the weather. Aim to stay there two maybe three months, so my land gets chance to recover fully too. The livery owner is aware of this so knows it's not permanent. Scary thought going back to a yard, too! Not been on a yard for over 30 years!
Our others not moving, but they are too young to work, anyway!
Bit irritating to have to shell out for livery, but this winter has been exceptionally awful.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Apologies if this has already been discussed......

I am curious as to how folks are keeping horse fit in this weather. At the moment we are reduced to cantering laps pf the school, but even then this is not possible if we have had heavy rain.

I am hoping to do my first hunter trial at the begining of April, however very concerned that we are just not going to a) have the ground to go at all and b) ponio just will not be fit enough.
MY horse isnt fit due to my injury, but the horses are kept fit, lunging / schooled in out door school or - hacking or using the indoor school

BarmyC

Visit site
I'm lucky enough to keep my horse at work so she gets ridden every morning during the week. We school once a week and hack the other 6 days. One of those is canter work up and around our 400 acre downland farm.

We are on chalk so we are pretty well draining although we are still wet. I have her and 4 other team chase horses to keep fit over the winter. They go out hunting as well (when it's not cancelled due to ground) and that helps too