Keeping legs still-help!

Emsibuddy

Visit site
I had my lesson on wednesday without stirrups. My legs were completely still, weren't wobbling about or anything.
When my instructor told me to take my stirrups back for the remaining ten minutes or so, they wobbled around like mad. I was in sitting trot, and I found that a bounce way more with my stirrups in sitting trot than I do without them.
confused.gif

I also move my legs when I'm rising, its a real habit now. I’ve been riding a very lazy pony for the last two years and just moved off her, and now I also have a habit of kicking every two strides so that adds to my wobbly legs.
Any tips?
tongue.gif

Oh and please keep in mind that I ride at a RS, don’t have my own horsey!
Thanks!

kerilli

Visit site
umm, silly question maybe, but are you sure your knees aren't gripping a bit? that would make your lower legs move too much. try taking your knees off the saddle, point them outwards for a bit, until your lower leg gets used to just hanging there! don't worry about your toes pointing out for a bit, you can bring them back in once you can bring your knees back in without gripping, if you see what i mean.
if it's your whole leg that's moving, you need to just calm down and get used to just sitting there and giving the occasional gentle squeeze, not wriggling about all the time! riding lazy ponies can make you a bit too active as a rider, sometimes you need to just relax and let the horse move you. good luck!

Lill

Visit site
I have this too!! In sitting trot my lower leg will just NOT stay still! With stirrups, without stirrups it does the same thing! Don't think my horses striding helps, as i find my legs stay still in sitting trot on my mare, she has a much smoother less bouncy trot though!

Sorry not much help i'm afraid!

cazza

community.webshots.com
You may find that the stirrup bars on your saddle are set too far forward which is why they are moving around. Some saddles have two stirrup bars on them eg. the WOW and others have the stirrup bars set further back eg. dressage saddles. It may be a simple case of them being set too far forward for your flat work. Are you riding in a GP/Jumping saddle when this occurs if so this may be the simple explanation.

Kermie

Visit site
It may be related to the size of the horse versus the length of your legs. I ride Fell ponies around 13-13.hh (with large barresl!) and the amount my lower leg moves varies on each. An instructor once explained it is to do with my hips contracting and my legs being short. When on a smaller pony, I can keep my legs perfectly still but they're not long enough to wrap round most of my Fell ponies so extremely difficult to keep them still.

happyhack

Visit site
I had a lesson on sunday and voluntarily rode without stirrups for the whole lesson, when i took them back they were too short and i had to drop them two holes-did you do that, if not, try riding a hole or two longer next lesson.

GinaGem

Visit site
This exercise is great - my instructor used it on me and it really helps to stop you gripping. Also in the sitting trot try to make sure you are moving with the horse, not trying to force yourself into the saddle, you may be using the stirrups to push down where as without them you can't do that. Make sure the ankle is relaxed and able to move.

Other good exercises are rising trot without stirrups and also standing up out of the saddle while trotting with no reins ie rise for three strides stand up out the saddle for three strides etc (obviously on the lunge is probably sensible!), these should help with the lower leg.