Keeping mares and geldings together

Maisiestack

New User
Visit site
I have two mares one is 20 and the other is 27 and I also have a gelding who is 15. I have recently got another gelding who is 6 and has only been with me for two days. I keep my other three horses turned out 24/7 and my new horse is in a fenced off section in the day ( can see other horses over fence)and stabled at night. I will eventually have them all out together. Since introducing the new horse, it has put both of my mares into season which they haven’t been in five years! and has stressed my other gelding out. He keeps herding the mares away from the new horse even know they are not turned out together. When I put him in the stable he goes mad because he can’t get to his mares. I’m just wondering if this is because the mares are in season and my gelding is not used to this and feels protective but I’m worried he won’t settle down and if he will be still like this when they come out of season? If I have to I will have to separate them so maybe each gelding can have a mare each? But I don’t know if I can have them acting like this in the long term as it’s causing to much stress to the herd.

Mule

Visit site
They've just met. They need a lot more time to get to know each other.

I run a DIY livery and I often have new horses in. I have always had a mixed herd. Depending on how they are over the wire, I will let them in together after 5 days to a week. There's a bit of ears back and herding but they get over things very quickly. Even the ones that won't ever be best of friends will become accustomed to each other soon enough.

As for the mares coming in to season, I think you'll just have to put up with that.

motherof2beasts!

Visit site
Usually they settle down but sadly not always. My gelding is a false rig and guards mares to the extent he becomes very dangerous to others. Therefore I would never do mixed herds with him it’s too risky so he’s out with my other gelding only.