Keeping my Daughters Horse

Eilean21

Visit site
Hi everyone - looking for opinions on keeping my daughters horse for myself to learn on.

We have owned the horse for the last 5 years (since she was 5 years old) she was my daughters first horse and they did lots of PC, Camps, SJ and BE80 together. My daughter went off to college last year and we decided to put her horse out on loan to ones of the other PC children where she has been for the last year. The loan is now due to end and I am considering keeping the horse to learn on myself.

I rode lots as a child but all at a riding school as my parents couldn't afford to keep a horse.

I obviously know her very well on the ground and have been really involved in her care the last 5 years but I have not done much riding since i was a child.

I have hacked her out when my daughter has been away for weekends etc. She is a really sweet mare and very laid back, easy to do with no vices. I suppose i'm just worried that I may have left it too long to re-start riding? I'm 38 and prepared to get weekly lessons and have someone else that I can hack out with from time to time.

I have really missed her the last year but want to do whats best for her in the long run.

Any advice?

Upthecreek

Visit site
If re-starting riding again is something you want to do then go for it. The horse sounds perfect and you obviously know her very well, which is a good place to start. But is there a ‘but’? Just not sure why you’ve asked the question. Why wouldn’t you think the horse is suitable?

claret09

Visit site
she sounds fab. you are definitely not too old. have fun. find a good instructor who you like and can relate to and you will have a great time. enjoy. let us know how you get on

SO1

Visit site
Sounds like a great idea to me. Maybe your daughter can give you some tips too. Also means when your daughter comes home from college to visit you she can have a ride as well.

You can get an instructor to get you going again and you will be back into the swings of things in no time at all. I know people much older than you who have got back into horses again after a long break and are loving it.

Eilean21

Visit site
If re-starting riding again is something you want to do then go for it. The horse sounds perfect and you obviously know her very well, which is a good place to start. But is there a ‘but’? Just not sure why you’ve asked the question. Why wouldn’t you think the horse is suitable?

I do think the horse is suitable but i suppose i just doubt myself, maybe feel like i'm not going to be good enough for her.

vhf

Visit site
I do think the horse is suitable but i suppose i just doubt myself, maybe feel like i'm not going to be good enough for her.
I totally understand that feeling! (But also, 'Oh to be 38 again!')
Realistically, the mare will not care two figs how good you are. She will care whether she feels safe, healthy and happy. If you are confident you can provide those three things - with relevant support as required, what you do on the riding front is really down to how far you want to go. Don't overface yourself, get professional help that suits your ambitions, and enjoy the journey wherever it takes you. Good times ahead!

Winters100

Visit site

Sounds ideal to me. Remember that the horse is not going to be thinking "I need a better rider, I'd dreamed of competing again this year". Lovely that you can keep her in the hands of your family. I'm sure that you will have lots of fun, and that your daughter will be very grateful.

Upthecreek

Visit site

Don’t give that a second thought! I’m sure you’ll both have loads of fun. And if she needs a ‘tune up’ with a pro every now and then you could arrange that if you need to, though I’m sure if she is a laidback mare with a nice temperament you will be fine. Enjoy!

Velcrobum

Visit site
My OH learned to ride in his 50's so he could go on a Horseback safari in Botswana he had not really sat on a horse before. Well once on a trail ride in Jasper British Columbia which was at a walk. At 38 you are not too old nor will the horse know. Just go for it and enjoy yourselves.