Keeping on top of rain scald without bathing?

Jingleballs

Visit site
Is it possible?

Cob is semi turned away over winter - maybe being lunged once a week and hacked for an hour at the weekend.

He's living out happily, unclipped and unrugged. We've had a bit of a wet but quite mild period so I didn't rug him and as a result, he's developed rain scald. It's over a large area (bum, neck & tummy) but is mild in the sense that the scabs are very small - he had it previously just after I'd bought him and it was much more localized but the scabs were much worse. On that occassion the vet advised me to clip him, rug him and gave me some cream to put on.

I really don't want to clip and rug and given it's wet and cold and he lives out bathing isn't something I'm keen on doing as getting him to dry off will be tricky. Is there some sort of spray treatment available that could help clear it up?

I'd read about listerine mouth was but not sure about that? Maybe some sort of neem/tea trea mix although keeping neem oil liquid is tricky at this time of year!

Any suggestions welcome.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I only washed mine once when he had rainscald as well then used daktarin athletes foot spray twice a day it has the right ingredient to fight the bacteria that causes it, he did have a rug on afterwards though I think you will struggle to get on top of it if his constantly getting wet. I also use the gold label wonder gel it helps hair grow and can sooth itchy skin great product.

Jingleballs

Visit site
Thanks all! I've ordered some gold label gel and some Hexocil.

The reason I'm reluctant to rug is that he's a really warm boy and may sweat up a bit under a rain sheet creating a nice environment for the bacteria but may have to try it after I've bathed him if the wet weather continues - hoping for a nice cold & dry spell soon!

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Thanks all! I've ordered some gold label gel and some Hexocil.

The reason I'm reluctant to rug is that he's a really warm boy and may sweat up a bit under a rain sheet creating a nice environment for the bacteria but may have to try it after I've bathed him if the wet weather continues - hoping for a nice cold & dry spell soon!

If he needs a rug to prevent rain scald I'd do a trace clip to prevent him overheating and put a no-fill turnout on. If you use coarse blades the clipped bits won't be completely bald.