keeping only 2 horses together

bella0987

Visit site
hello i am thinking about moving my boy home as he is not going to be in full work any more just doing some hacking and fun pony club things. we have two fields defo big enough for him and 1 or 2 ponies we could build a small stable block and then just get some electric fencing and it would be perfect. we dont have an arena but we have a field for summer and we would be going out to arena hires and hacking in the winter any way. so i amplanning to move him home and keep my competition horse at his current yard. so my question is can i get him just one other pony or will they get seperation anxiety and become to attached. or does he need to companions for example two shetlands that could share a stable. in his last home he only had one small pony as a companion and i didnt hear of any problems. if we have to get him 2 companion ponys i think thats too expensive so let me know what you think im hopping its alright to keep him with just 1 pony.

HorseyTee

Visit site
I had just 2 together, but there were horses in neighbouring fields.
They were never taken anywhere separate but I don't think 1 would have been OK on his own, although the other was OK for short periods.

bella0987

Visit site
thanks for the reply
one will never be in the stables without the other unless getting tacked up or similar im just worried about them when we go out hacking competitng ect

bella0987

Visit site
I have a horse and one mini Shetland. Mini is ok being left while hacking / competing for the day. He does shout and run around a bit, but then settles. They live out.
thanks do you think getting 2 shetties is a better idea so they wouldnt become unsettled when i separate them

Nudibranch

Visit site
The only thing I'd say about getting 2 is it's double the farrier, double the potential vet bills, etc. I've had 2 horses all my life - not the same 2 obviously - and I have expected them to get on with it so they did. This is a range from natives to warmbloods and ex racers. All of mine have been able to be left in the field but stabling is an option if not, as mentioned earlier. I have had 3 at a time on occasion and I much prefer the reduced hassle of 2. Shetlands may be small but they can be just as much horse as any other in many ways!

I pay a local pet sitter who does horses - there are lots around if you check FB and the like. Mine is £7.50 a visit just to check over, nothing else required but she can walk over if she likes.

bella0987

Visit site
The only thing I'd say about getting 2 is it's double the farrier, double the potential vet bills, etc. I've had 2 horses all my life - not the same 2 obviously - and I have expected them to get on with it so they did. This is a range from natives to warmbloods and ex racers. All of mine have been able to be left in the field but stabling is an option if not, as mentioned earlier. I have had 3 at a time on occasion and I much prefer the reduced hassle of 2. Shetlands may be small but they can be just as much horse as any other in many ways!

I pay a local pet sitter who does horses - there are lots around if you check FB and the like. Mine is £7.50 a visit just to check over, nothing else required but she can walk over if she likes.
thats what i was thinking mine is very stressy and struggles with ulcers but honestly with you keeping ex racers and such i think that ill just get a very laid back companion and tell them to get on with it.

Backtoblack

Visit site
yes i was thinking this i actaully live in the same village as one but it sounds like a lot of hassle with the home checks ect
it isnt a hassle, they come and look around and make sure its a suitable environment it doesnt have to be like the royal mews basic safe fencing no ragwort etcetc. tbh if it isnt then a horse shouldsnt be kept there anyway. i've had rescue ponies its a good thing to do and the pony can always be returned if circumstances change.

bella0987

Visit site
it isnt a hassle, they come and look around and make sure its a suitable environment it doesnt have to be like the royal mews basic safe fencing no ragwort etcetc. tbh if it isnt then a horse shouldsnt be kept there anyway. i've had rescue ponies its a good thing to do and the pony can always be returned if circumstances change.
are the ponies quite nervous or stressy as i need a super chilled out one for my stressy boy and there will be loads of kids around?

Peglo

Visit site
also for people who keep their horses at home what do you do when you go on holiday or stay overnight some where

just stay at home ? Im lucky that I field share so if the other lass can’t do hers I will look after hers and vice versa. It’s nice because I love hers like they are mine and know them inside out but I don’t have the extra cost. Could that be an option? Instead of you getting new ponies you could advertise for a field mate or 2 and then half the work load?

I don’t pay rent to keep my horses with hers ( she is my cousin) but I feel a responsibility to help out as much as possible with hers for the free rent.
I know that may come with added stress having someone else there but if you found someone good with a couple of shetlands as a hobby it could work out well.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I don’t think you’ll know until you try it.

I’ve two warmbloods who are out together and although “I’ve expected them to get on with it” they don’t at all. Even when the one staying behind is stabled they range from quite unsettled to monumental tantrums and getting in a muck sweat. They’ve never really got any better and my oldie seems to actually be getting worse even though he’s been left whilst I’m riding the younger one several days a week for the last three years and a few times a month when going to clinics and shows. I sedated the younger one when I took my oldie to the sunshine tour as he gets really angry and bucks, batters the door and roars like a lion as well as looking like he’s coming over the door. They are particularly pair bonded I think. No amount of stable distractions make any difference. The one leaving is always perfectly happy to go and do what I want without issue.

It’s a total PITA. If I were on my own land I’d consider another one.

meleeka

Visit site
I think a shetland would always prefer a small friend. I’ve promised mine a girlfriend when the old mare goes. I kept horses together for many years and it worked well because the one that was left didn’t mind much at all.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I keep my cob with a shetland as a companion. Both are fine left alone although like ester the spare is in the stable when the other is out. Shetland has been fine when we've been away at shows and although shetland doesn't really do much I make a point of taking him out for walks as I think it's a good thing for the cob to be happy alone for periods.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Personally In your situ I’d go to the blue cross and get a bigger pony, just the one.
Horses so seem to prefer a friend closer to their own size and shetlands and fencing can be tough, also there’s no guarantee that two will be safe or happy stabled together.
You can explain to the Blue Cross, who are really lovely and try to match people as well as possible that you need something that is happy to stay alone for short periods while you ride.
The home checks etc and no hassle at all and it’s nice to help something that may have found a new home difficult (non ridden types)

HashRouge

Visit site
I don’t think you’ll know until you try it.

I’ve two warmbloods who are out together and although “I’ve expected them to get on with it” they don’t at all. Even when the one staying behind is stabled they range from quite unsettled to monumental tantrums and getting in a muck sweat. They’ve never really got any better and my oldie seems to actually be getting worse even though he’s been left whilst I’m riding the younger one several days a week for the last three years and a few times a month when going to clinics and shows. I sedated the younger one when I took my oldie to the sunshine tour as he gets really angry and bucks, batters the door and roars like a lion as well as looking like he’s coming over the door. They are particularly pair bonded I think. No amount of stable distractions make any difference. The one leaving is always perfectly happy to go and do what I want without issue.

It’s a total PITA. If I were on my own land I’d consider another one.
Ditto this.

I have two who are horrendously pair bonded and can't stand to be apart. They are both retired though, so it's less of an issue. If one had to go to equine hospital though, I think the other one would probably have to go too :oops:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I've kept just 2 at home for 10 years and they are just fine as long as I bring them both in together when I ride, I never leave 1 alone in the field they will run about screaming.

You need to consider shetlands don't need a lot of grass and can get laminitis if not restricted, I would always pair 2 horses up with similar needs so your not battling with keeping 2 alone that need different things.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I keep two at home. Shetlands aren't ideal companions for non-shetlands. They often have different turnout needs and they can't really groom together.

I'd just get a single companion. Make sure you treat it like getting any other horse though, being a companion is a job. Make a list of requirements and stick to them. Okay to leave alone, calm temperament, similar grazing needs to current horse etc.

gryff

Visit site
I brought my two home back in September, not having a clue whether of not they'd be OK. They'd been at livery with a big herd of about 15 horses for the last 17 and 5 years.
I think, secretly, I was hoping they'd be terrible when the other left, so I could get a new youngster, but actually they are ok. A little bit of neighing as one leaves. But absolutely fine otherwise. They are worse if they can still see each other, for example, if I take one out to graze on the common next to their area.

irishdraft

Visit site
I have 2 at home one is retired one is working . I leave the retired one on his own out in the field all day sometimes he has a neigh every now and then but loves eating too much to be that bothered. As others have said try it and see what happens . In an ideal world I would like another but it's all more work and expense so for the moment I'm sticking with 2