Keeping tack at home

Pidge

Visit site
Happy to say that my tack is now safely at home, and sister's. I'm after some advice on where and how to keep my 2 saddles at home. With it coming to winter and the central heating going on it won't do the leather any good will it? Is it ok to leave the saddle in the boot of the car during the day (very secure parking at work) as tend to ride at night and go straight from work to the yard? Any advice much appreciated as I am NOT leaving my tack at the yard ever again!

eekmon

Visit site
You should check with your insurance company as to what they require for your tack to remain insured! Also check your car insurance!
smile.gif

Pidge

Visit site
Sorting it tomorrow am as if NFU wont insure it at home my home insurance will cover it and in the car as had my old saddle at home for ages after losing my other horse last year.

Pidge

Visit site
I have plenty of space as have a 3 bedroom house to myself after my husband died. Was just wondering whether it is worthwhile fixing something permanent to one of the spare room walls? If I kept it to one room I could just turn the central heating down in there brrrr. Cupboard under the stairs is tiny so would only get one saddle in there.

pixie

Visit site
My father bought a wooded trestle (similar to pic A) at a local auction, which was perfect for putting a saddle on - I think they are often used in workshops to make makeshift tables, so you might find them in somewhere like B&Q or a farm supply shop? Bridles were hung on hooks behind the door.

trestle.gif

Pidge

Visit site
Thanks, bridles fit quite nicely on my nice round doorknobs! At least living on my own no one else to moan about all the tack around the place
grin.gif

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
mines kept in my garage at home
under my horse insurance its in a lockable place

you can insure tackon personal pocessions with house insurance
but its better to insure with horse insurance in case of break in in stable yards--
very diffuclut to rpove under a house insurance as they want to know why it anit in the house--

horse insurance is better

south essex insurance brokers or
pet plan they good and reasonable and pay up

Peanot

Visit site
I keep my saddle in the back of my shogun. Idle and not really safe but at night, it is parked right up at the side of my house and it is backed on. I do put a cover over it but it sits nicely on the extra little seat at the back.

pottamus

Visit site
As already mentioned, please check your insurance carefully before putting it in the back of your car etc...they can be very fickle.
I keep mine at home as I feel it is a lot safer than in my spare stable...it is covered on the home insurance whilst it is there.
I hang my bridle on the end of a door and my saddle goes very nicely over my bannister stair rail on the landing!!!

Tempi

Visit site
i wouldnt keep your saddle in the back of your car - will eventually make it go a funny shape, i like to keep mine nice and on a saddle rack in my porch. as ive got two saddles we've got two free standing racks and bridle hooks in the porch so i use those. Then they dont get the heat in the winter. Our porch isnt damp either so ive never had a problem.

Pidge

Visit site
Insurance covers me whether tack at home or yard and also in transit so will have to decide whether or nor I leave it in car during day at work or not? Would the saddles be better off in the conservatory as its not heated over the winter? Have got proper racks now for them at home.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
My tack stays in garage (integral to house) on saddle horses, insurance wise it is covered on the house insurance and cost me £4! Never keep it in car, it is only in the car to go to the yard to be used then back again. Only trouble with insuring on house insurance is I am not sure if I would be covered if a horse fell and smashed the tree but that is a risk I am prepared to take.