Keeping the cone on

Clodagh

Visit site
Pen ripped her ear yesterday and has stitches. It’s where the ear joins the head, at the top.
I cannot get the cone to stay on, she does this sort of stranded fish flop and gets out of it, even with a tight collar, and it is pulling off over the stitches every time.
Now she has a Lycra body suit from spay days. It has a couple of loops in the neck, do you think if she wore that and the collar and the cone it will stay on?
Or any better suggestions. ?

Roxylola

Visit site
I have had similar issues with my spaniel recently so you have my sympathy. Certainly worth trying the suit if you've got one anyway. Maybe a snood?

Moobli

Visit site
I was going to suggest one of those inflatable ring type collars but sounds like that might not work. It’s a total pain trying to stop them getting at stitches.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I like the inflatable collars, even the Rottweiler can't get those off, she can get her normal collar off with no problem at all. We have had Labs wear a cone with crepe bandage to hold it onto their collar.

Clodagh

Visit site
the crepe bandage lasts seconds. The collar no longer.
The one time I tried an inflatable collar ( not on Pen) it was wrecked in seconds.
I don’t think I’d trust a snood to be left all night.
I am interested in the comfy collar keeping the cone on though. Can you attach one to the other?

Sandstone1

Visit site
the crepe bandage lasts seconds. The collar no longer.
The one time I tried an inflatable collar ( not on Pen) it was wrecked in seconds.
I don’t think I’d trust a snood to be left all night.
I am interested in the comfy collar keeping the cone on though. Can you attach one to the other?
You can just put the comfy collar behind the cone. Ive done it for dogs that bend the cone and reach round. you probably could attach them if nec.

Clodagh

Visit site
Well she wore her bodysuit with the cone tied to it, all survived the night. She is genuinely absolutely terrified though. It’s really awful. I’ve been racking my brains to try to think of an alternative.
I think I will be able to find something else for when one of us is around but she is going to have to wear the cone when left.
she is shaking, panting and dribbling with it on, and standing frozen with her legs braced. ☹️

Last edited:

EnduroRider

Visit site
Does she really need it? Given the location she cannot lick the wound so the cone is only stopping her scratching at it with her feet. Is she actually bothered enough that she will scratch at the stitches? If yes, would a large self adhesive dressing be enough to protect them instead?

Clodagh

Visit site
Does she really need it? Given the location she cannot lick the wound so the cone is only stopping her scratching at it with her feet. Is she actually bothered enough that she will scratch at the stitches? If yes, would a large self adhesive dressing be enough to protect them instead?
She started to scratch last night, so yes. I think think about a dressing but it would need metres of vet wrap to hold it.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The more see through ones we're better for us, particularly when all 3 wore cones, it helped stopping them bashing into me. Might make her less scared of it too?

SOS

Visit site
Not much to add that hasn’t already been suggested - tying to a well fitted collar, socks on feet. Sounds like she will get at it without a collar on. I would not dress it yourselves, if an ear bandage slips and tightens it can be really dangerous as you can imagine.

Only thing to add is to occupy her mind? Kongs, scent games etc. Help tire her mentally!