Keeping them in when they dont want to go out...

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Our yard doesnt restrict turnout but my highland is absolutely hating going out into the bog that is where his field used to be. We are currently partly under water, only fetlock deep so no danger of drowning but its either wet, muddy or both. Everyone has their own field and YO has no issue with them being out, some are out 24/7. I would happily let him stand in, he would be more than delighted, food under his nose, nice warm bed, no water to get through...but...Im of the belief that they really shouldnt stand in with no exercise and therein lies the issue. We are diy, no school, no fields to ride in and nowhere safe to ride on the road during weekday hours. So my options are, turnout every day from 7am to 2pm (this is the current routine but by 9am he is stood in the gateway or pacing up and down in it wanting to come in), turnout alternate days so both he and I get some respite from the weather, leave in 24/7 for a couple of weeks hoping things will dry out a bit or sell him (last one is a joke, I think). He is also permanently hungry, I am still having to soak and weigh his hay as although we have no grass to speak of, he hasnt dropped much weight despite being fully clipped and only lightly rugged. This doesnt improve his humour but I cant just give him hay ad lib or he will burst come April. Any thoughts on making this routine better

stormox

Visit site
I would let him stay in. In and contented is better than being out and miserable. Do you get up the yard 2pm normally to bring him in? Id go out for a half hor hack/lead out then if you can.

Auslander

Visit site
Has he got company in his paddock. If he's alone, maybe a friend would make him a bit keener to stay out. If he has company, then I'm stumped!!
I'd prefer to have him out, seeing as he isn't getting any exercise during the week, but I know how grim it is when they just pace and make it clear they want to be in. If he does stay in, you're going to have to hand walk him twice a day to keep his guts moving and stretch his legs.
I've got an old boy here who would prefer to be in, but after two impactions last year, he has just had to man up and go out every day. He's turned out alone, because he's rather fragile, so it's not easy. I have to harden my heart and walk away when he's yelling to come in. He does settle once the yard is quiet - but if people are around, he kicks up a hell of a fuss!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Could you put him out for a short time at 2.pm? Just an hour or two, it's not dark now until nearly 5.00pm. As for the eating, I would give him plain oat straw chaff in addition to his hay. I have found that works wonders for helping them to lose weight whilst allowing them to eat ad-lib. I've always thought that if they eat that, they must be hungry.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Is there ANYWHERE you can ride him? I am very lucky to have all weather turnout, so all mine get out for at least 4 hours every day, but I also at the very least ride them up and down the driveway for 20 - 30 minutes (it's about 300m long, and I can W/T/C in a straight line).

Goldenstar

Visit site
He must go out if he’s not being worked .
If the paddock is near I would turn out while you muckout in the morning and then again for longer at two .
I would try feeding chopped oat straw chop during the day and you might try one of these new swingers which are pressed grass blocks with a hole up the middle that you hang away from the walls they really have to work to eat them .
Could you pay someone to hack him a couple of times a week for the next six weeks ?

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I work till 130 so can be at the yard by 230pm every day. His field is about 400m from his stable so I could pop him out then for an hour whilst I muck out etc or I could hand graze in the nearest field, just cant let him loose in that one. If I turn him out at 2pm and try to leave him till 5pm, he will start pacing the gateway when the other owners start to turn up between 3 and 5. In the summer he takes no notice of anyone or anything, he will stay out all day and night, on his own snoozing and eating in the nice weather. There really is nowhere safe to ride, yard and stables are on the side of the road, which is a rat run pretty much all day, a b road with really tight turns and twists, blind bends and no verge to jump on, heart in mouth stuff even on a Sunday morning, there is no driveway, no school or pen of any sort and no trash paddock. I literally box up every time I ride, weekends in the winter and weekday afternoons and evenings in the summer (remember that) Sounds awful but its big advantage is it is a 1 minute drive from my house to get there and as a confirmed happy hacker I really dont need facilities, its just this infernal weather, surely it must stop raining soon!!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine isnt fussed on turnout. He will happily go out overnight in the summer, but in winter he'd like to stay in all the time. Hes a sod for jumping the fence occasionally as well, which makes life doubly difficult! He is forced to go out in daylight hours almost every day and gets a hayplay and/or hay in the field a lot of the time although we dont have mud really and there is still grass to pick at. Hes just a nuisance! Days he doesnt go out, hes worked and turned out on the yard/drive to wander about. This he deems acceptable as its somewhere hes not usually allowed to roam so he can wander about noseying at things, chatting to his friend over the stable door and picking at the grass on the verge. If he was being put out in fetlock deep mud I'd never keep him out there.

We just shut the yard gate and have taped off anywhere where he might get into trouble. is there an option for anything like that?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It's light until 5.00 now. So in your shoes I'd keep him in if that's what he prefers and load up and box to ride.

Or move yards.

Visit site
I would try feeding chopped oat straw chop during the day and you might try one of these new swingers which are pressed grass blocks with a hole up the middle that you hang away from the walls they really have to work to eat them ?

It took my elderly Shetland an hour to demolish one of these new swinger things! And I hung it from the middle of his stable so he couldn't press it against anything to chew!

Charlie007

Visit site
I'm having the same problem at the moment. I have always believed in turning out every day but my new horse just doesn't want to be out. I messaged his old owner. They had him six years and he never went out in winter!! He made it quite clear today that he wants to be in so from tomorrow he will be in 24/7. I will hand graze in morning. Then hand graze and ride in the evening.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Where do you hack in the summer? Sorry if ive missed that somewhere!
If he's happy when you turn out at 7 and starts pacing at 9, is there someone else who might be able to get him in then? at least he'd have had a few hours.

SWE

Visit site
I'd leave him in then turn him out for a while when you're there at 2. Even just for an hour at least it gets him moving! So many competition horses are stabled 24/7 but i think they should always be moving for at least an hour a day if possible. On the days you ride he doesn't need to go out but if you cant ride i would chuck him out whilst you do his stable in the evening

claret09

Visit site
totally agree/ my boy has been out once since beginning of December. all be it that we have an indoor school to ride in so can do something with him every day. however, there is no way on earth he would want to go out in the wet or cold
I would let him stay in. In and contented is better than being out and miserable. Do you get up the yard 2pm normally to bring him in? Id go out for a half hor hack/lead out then if you can.

tankgirl1

Visit site
Out daily with friends personally, I hate the thought of them being cooped up 24/7 for days on end. My two go out whatever the weather for 6-8 hours at the minimum. Thankfully everyone else on the yard is of the same mindset, and they do bog off up the field and graze once they realise they are not going to come straight back in

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I'd try and get him out for a few hours if you can. I'm lucky as mine is on full livery so they can bring him in after a few hours. It would be better if he stayed out all day when he's not being worked, but he has an unfortunate habit of bringing himself in if he decides the weather is not to his taste or that he's had enough, and will happily destroy fencing to do so!

chocolategirl

Visit site
I’m a firm believer in getting them out no matter what, even if it’s only for a few hours. Ive never seen my fields as bad as they are this year, but in 23 years of running a yard, I’ve never not allowed turnout. The best way to keep horses sound and healthy IMO, is to keep them moving. If you are unable to exercise in any way then turnout is crucial. This is of course my own personal opinion before anyone goes off on one lol!

Snuffles

Visit site
Mine are in today for the first time this winter. Its more for my benefit than theirs as its blowing a gale and raining and Ive chickened out of walking them down a longish track. Neighbouring animals seem to be standing resignedly by their gates waiting to come in! I don't think I could be anywhere that restricted turnout as Im stressing about them being in today !

Seville

Visit site
If the paddock is near I would turn out while you muckout in the morning and then again for longer at two.

Strange comment. If he had an injury that required box rest ( heaven forbid!!!) He would have to stand in and not work.....

ihatework

Visit site
If the paddock is near I would turn out while you muckout in the morning and then again for longer at two.

Strange comment. If he had an injury that required box rest ( heaven forbid!!!) He would have to stand in and not work.....

Box resting for an injury is a necessary evil.
Leaving a non-injured horse confined for 24/7 is unacceptable. I appreciate with the weather and various situations sometimes it’s unavoidable but at the very least Horse needs exercise one side of the day and a leg stretch the other side.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I am struggling to see the connection between a horse confined for its own health and a horse confined because the owner has the wrong livery arrangements?

TGM

Visit site
Seville said:
If he had an injury that required box rest ( heaven forbid!!!) He would have to stand in and not work.....

If you had a severe injury you might have to go on bed rest, however, I don't think anyone would argue that staying in bed for 24 hours a day is a sensible or healthy way for a normal person to live. Same with box rest for horses, it is sometimes the lesser of two evils but brings its own potential problems. Bearing in mind that horses are animals that by nature are almost constantly moving, I don't feel that being confined to a standard size stable all day, every day, is healthy for them, even if they can cope mentally. Everything should be done to get the animal out of the stable and moving for at least a short period of the day - whether that is ridden, lungeing, hand walking/grazing, turnout in a pen or sandschool or whatever.

I think the most obvious solution for the OP is to box up and ride as often as possible in the week, given how early she finishes work, and on the days she doesn't then pop him in his field for an hour or so when she finishes work, perhaps with some hay to keep him occupied. The very occasional day in, isn't so much of a problem (especially on a day like to day with gale force winds), but every day for weeks is, IMO.

wingedhorse

Visit site

Box rest is the work of the devil for many horses and best avoided wherever possible. Many horses get stiff and weak on box rest, and then go silly when allowed out again, and injure further.

One of my horses (who I suspect has some low level arthritic changes) was box rested for six weeks for an mild injury. It then took about six months to get him loosened up and moving properly.

My older horse does really badly if not out for 16 hours everyday.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I'm leaving one of mine in on the odd rancid day at the moment as she detests being out in mud and rain. The other two are also in their stables but they have doors opening to a small back paddock. However, she gets an hour of exercise both ends of the day when in (either hand walking or in the school).

AandK

Visit site
I would be looking for another yard.

Honestly I would too. If I were a happy hacker, being on a yard I could ride out straight from would be a top priority. The only way I would keep my horse at a yard I had to box to hack, would be if there were other facilities (i.e. a decent arena!).

OP, even if your horse is content to be in, it is not fair for it to be 24/7. I see three options; 1) ask someone to bring him in at 9am (if you can't), 2) turn him out for an hour or so when you get to the yard in the afternoon, or 3) ride in the afternoon as it is light enough for you to do this now. If it were me, I would be doing options 1 and 3.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Thank you for all your replies. Just to sum up, there is noone to bring him in between 7am and me at 2pm, also finding another yard that isnt worse and within a sensible distance is a no no, I have looked :( The unbelievable amount of rain we are having is making this winter worse than the previous 10 I have been there. This week we have compromised, he was out Mon and Tues, he is in today and I will be hand grazing him for a little while later this afternoon, the next 4 days I can ride so if it stays this wet underfoot he will be staying in but with ridden exercise each day. Hopefully by Monday it will at least have stopped raining so he can go back out for the mornings. The ponies in the fields next to his havent moved from the gateway all day, I have driven past 4 times already and they are stood, almost as if stuck in the mud, heads down and just look dejected. They are well rugged and fed so have no reason to stand there looking miserable, but stand there they do. The next 2 fields across from them the occupants are also stood, heads down by their gateways just staring at the yard in the distance. I totally agree that out is better than in, better for their all round well being and I couldnt consider a yard where turnout was dictated by the owner, but I have to say that this past few weeks, it has been positively dangerous underfoot trekking to and fro with a pony that doesnt want to be in his field, hence our little compromise. Bring on some dry weather....pleeeaase

Notimetoride

Visit site
My horse just stands (plants) in the doorway when I'm trying to put her out. She's honestly telling me she doesn't want to stand in her muddy field all day. Usually she's desperate to get out but not at the moment. She's really quite switched on and is letting me know her preference. So twice this week she's stayed in all day. Though she is worked for 3/4 hour on the days she's kept in so she's not stood idle for 36 hours.

tashcat

Visit site
I think the compromise sounds good - turn him out on 'nicer' days, and give him a duvet day when its horrible. However on the in days I would always take him for a hack/walk or chuck him out for an hour or two whilst you muck out if you can, so he can have a leg stretch.

Michen

Visit site
I don’t get why you can’t box him out for exercise when you are there at 2pm. It gives you plenty of daylight time.

I honestly just think we have it totally wrong in this county, I have no issue with horses being in 24/7 if they are happier or if facilities or turnout doesn’t allow for whatever reason. But then we must make it our duty to ensure they are properly exercised and walked. If that means hiring a freelance rider then so be it, or moving horses to more appropriate yard if that’s not an option- etc etc.

Thank you for all your replies. Just to sum up, there is noone to bring him in between 7am and me at 2pm, also finding another yard that isnt worse and within a sensible distance is a no no, I have looked :( The unbelievable amount of rain we are having is making this winter worse than the previous 10 I have been there. This week we have compromised, he was out Mon and Tues, he is in today and I will be hand grazing him for a little while later this afternoon, the next 4 days I can ride so if it stays this wet underfoot he will be staying in but with ridden exercise each day. Hopefully by Monday it will at least have stopped raining so he can go back out for the mornings. The ponies in the fields next to his havent moved from the gateway all day, I have driven past 4 times already and they are stood, almost as if stuck in the mud, heads down and just look dejected. They are well rugged and fed so have no reason to stand there looking miserable, but stand there they do. The next 2 fields across from them the occupants are also stood, heads down by their gateways just staring at the yard in the distance. I totally agree that out is better than in, better for their all round well being and I couldnt consider a yard where turnout was dictated by the owner, but I have to say that this past few weeks, it has been positively dangerous underfoot trekking to and fro with a pony that doesnt want to be in his field, hence our little compromise. Bring on some dry weather....pleeeaase