Keeping up the spirit of 2020 - horsebox whinge

1nd1c03

Visit site
My van conversion lorry (98 renault master I’ve had for 6 years) went for its MOT today. Most years there are odd bits to fix on it but this year (being the year of corona) it has failed spectacularly with the suspension mounting excessively corroded and the sills rusted badly. I was shown a picture and even to the untrained eye there are holes where there shouldn’t be.

The ‘essential’ repairs will cost c.£2k with the total work (to make it safe for horses) costing £3.5k ?

Started using a new mechanic this year who is horsey and I know through Pony Club days so I’m inclined to trust him.

I can’t afford the work right now if that’s the route I go down but I was wondering if this seemed a) reasonable and b) whether I’m mad even considering the repairs. I figure these are my options:

1) get repairs done. I understand that if they’re done it’s so extensive that the underside will basically be new so shouldn’t cause me issues for the foreseeable future.
2) sell lorry and buy a new one (but then potentially have issues with that one so even more money)
3) give up horses and take up knitting

Sorry for my rant but eugh!! Does anyone have any similar experience?

Picture of MOT certificate atttached CAFDBF65-2919-431A-9DB5-395B167E9B0F.jpeg

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I would be inclined to agree with CG - A welder would do this much much cheaper than a mechanic, especially right now when the work may not be falling on their laps! I wouldn't sell up and buy another as it could come with equal or impending problems (unless you have £15k+ to spend). It sounds as though this is trusty and good in every other way. Although may be worth asking mechanic if he could spot anything impending whilst MOT'ing that didn't make it onto the MOT failure list yet.

I learnt to weld myself when my car needed some doing as I didn't want to pay out £1k - but I was lucky my dad could teach me (although not do it due to a bad back).

honetpot

Visit site
Have the work done for the MOT and shop around for the welding. I have just sold my 2001 Renault Master hi-top van, unconverted for £2,500, in four days off ebay, and had loads of interest. Apparently people like them because they have a good tow weight and hold a lot.

Cowpony

Visit site
I can sympathise. Sold my old lorry last year and bought a 2008 really nicely up together one costing nearly £30k.

It's just cost me £5,500.
MOT, servicing, four new fuel injectors, new fuel heating coil, new brake pads, some small bits and pieces. Oh and repairing the luton where I'd failed to see a tree leaning into the road at lorry-mugging height :mad:

That's on top of the vet's bill for £1k for x-rays and SI injection, and another £1k on the car's new timing belt, exhaust and battery.

That's all in the last month :confused:

Chippers1

Visit site
I also have a Renault Master that failed on sill rust this year, the hole was huge! I had a whole new sill made and welded in, it cost me £1.4k though (and i'm annoyed as now I can't go anywhere due to lockdown after it being in the garage so long :rolleyes:)
I used a garage that mainly does motorbike MOTs and does a bit of horsebox work on the side, not a specific horsebox garage so it may be worth shopping around?

Or go with option 3...I knit as well and it's a lot cheaper than horses :D

Edit to add: It wasn't just the sill, I had to also have a whole new back bar thing made - no idea what it is actually called - but it's where a tow bar is attached and under the back doors. So I had a load of work done for less than you were quoted!

Last edited:
Visit site
Shop around for your welding as others have said. The failure report is very similar to a 3.5 ton tipper we had, we had some of the welding done but then sold it as an MOT failure as it needed more money than we had to repair it.

At least if you get quotes for the welding, if you decided to just sell, you can provide the purchaser with the cost of the welding. You will be surprised what people will buy, they like projects, so if it beyond your own repair, sell it and get it off your hands.

fredflop

Visit site
Get the bits that need to be fixed done to pass the MoT (I’d also be tempted to get new number plates ASAP as they are very cheap).

get quotes for the welding

dorsetladette

Visit site
Can you find an agricultural engineer to do the welding for you?
I once had a £4k quote from a mechanic to do welding on the horsebox, found an agri engineer via a local farmer. Total cost for him to do welding was £1.5k

I'd second this. i bought a lorry with no plating, sent it for said plating to be quoted about £4k for the welding alone. Found a agri/big lorry mechanic on an industrial estate who did my lorry as a hospital job (inbetween his normal work) and he finally charged me around £1500 (give or take) for the welding, new exhaust and all new brake lines.

I'm glad I shopped around as the lorry came back from plating and hasn't left the property since :(

1nd1c03

Visit site
Shopping around for some quotes from welders definitely seems the way to go so I’ve approached a couple - thanks for the idea! Atleast I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything at the moment?! :/

1nd1c03

Visit site
I also have a Renault Master that failed on sill rust this year, the hole was huge! I had a whole new sill made and welded in, it cost me £1.4k though (and i'm annoyed as now I can't go anywhere due to lockdown after it being in the garage so long :rolleyes:)
I used a garage that mainly does motorbike MOTs and does a bit of horsebox work on the side, not a specific horsebox garage so it may be worth shopping around?

Or go with option 3...I knit as well and it's a lot cheaper than horses :D

Edit to add: It wasn't just the sill, I had to also have a whole new back bar thing made - no idea what it is actually called - but it's where a tow bar is attached and under the back doors. So I had a load of work done for less than you were quoted!
Sounds very similar to mine then which gives me some hope I could get it done cheaper!

1nd1c03

Visit site
I can sympathise. Sold my old lorry last year and bought a 2008 really nicely up together one costing nearly £30k.

MOT, servicing, four new fuel injectors, new fuel heating coil, new brake pads, some small bits and pieces. Oh and repairing the luton where I'd failed to see a tree leaning into the road at lorry-mugging height :mad:

That's on top of the vet's bill for £1k for x-rays and SI injection, and another £1k on the car's new timing belt, exhaust and battery.

Noo what bad luck! That’s what makes me hesitate about buying anything else. Better the devil you know and all that.

You must be due a lottery win or something now surely?

Cowpony

Visit site
Noo what bad luck! That’s what makes me hesitate about buying anything else. Better the devil you know and all that.

You must be due a lottery win or something now surely?

Thanks. I do feel that I'm due a cheap year now.......but I don't want to jinx anything!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Rust is a pain in the arse. If you fix it right, you should have many years of enjoyment.

Rust can he widespread than it appears and you have to cut and/or grind it all out to healthy metal that you can weld to. After the metal is repaired make sure it is primed and painted correctly and then a protective coating.

You've got nothing to lose by shopping around but make sure the welder is good. Nothing like shoddy welds rusting out 1 year later.

It's not exactly rocket surgery doing such repairs, but make sure that you are comfortable with the repair work and the skill of the welder.

I've seen some horrendous work over the years as my other hobby is classic cars, so I'm extra cautious if I let someone else do the work!

Frumpoon

Visit site

holy god!!!!!!