Keeping Warm

dorsetladette

Visit site
Hows everyone keeping warm while out doing chores and riding?

I'm really struggling this year. I can keep my hands feet and head warm, but my hips are getting so cold I'm in agony by the time I've finished chores, so I'm not getting as far as riding. Whats everyone wearing thats more than a mid thigh length coat?

I've dodgy hips and arthritis but it seems so much worse this winter.

doodle

Visit site
Not quite hips but I have equitech thermal legging things. They have fleece areas on the thighs and stop me from getting chilblains (I just get them on knees where patches end!)

WarmbloodX

Visit site
They are high Waisted and cover Your hips I usually tuck my base later into them and keep warm. Usually end up with those base later and jumper on. Coat comes off once I’ve warmed up. My base layers are tottie and musto

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I have lived in my Mountain Horse polar trousers for the last 5 winters. So warm and toasty I needed to open the zips to stop overheating. Sadly they died this year and I have replaced them with a cheaper version from Steeds. Just as warm and waterproof but I don’t think they will last as long.

Roxylola

Visit site
I got a skirt from dopo that I ride in and often leave on for jobs. Its super cosy. Just for jobs though a pair of over trousers makes a huge difference, even just waterproof ones

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Primark fleece leggings under a pair of normal leggings/jods. Good pair of socks (or two!). Vest, long sleeved top, jumper, fleece and musto fleece lined waterproof jacket I bought well over 10 years ago which is still going strong. Then some skiing gloves from decathlon. Oh and a knitted headband to keep my ears warm.

Kizzy2004

Visit site
I have skiing base layers for tops and bottoms, under £5 each from Decathlon, and they’ve been a godsend. Also skiing socks. Keeps me warm enough but also breathable so I don’t get too hot. I also have a PE neck warmer which is like a funnel style which keeps my neck warm and stops any drafts but sadly they don’t make that style anymore.

Lois Lame

Visit site
... I have stolen my partner's thermal long johns ...

Not saying it's an attractive look, mind. :p

Maybe not, but as my husband says, they make a great contraceptive.

I used to steal my husband's until I got my own, and only ever steal his now if mine are all in the wash.

Regarding chilblains, my mother always told us as kids not to put our very cold hands into hot water. Start it off cool and let it warm a little, "Or you'll get chilblains!" shriek shriek. Anyhow, we never got chilblains because I always remembered her words and general panic- I mean energy.

FourLeafClover

Visit site
I’m living in Decathlon waterproof jods this winter. They keep the wind and the rain off and keep me toasty ? I bought some white ones as well for winter competitions... still got the label on! Maybe next year!

PurBee

Visit site
This year with temps suddenly rising and falling ive felt it moreso too. I tend to wear lots of breathable thin layers. So anything fleece (polyester) makes me sweat. Longjohns, and thermal vests, any work trousers and waterproof over trousers. 2 pairs socks, thick boots. Thermal vest, t shirt, jumper, waterproof coat, and a neck covering also. Thermal hat, with another hood up on jacket. thermal waterproof gloves.
I feel like a michelin man by the time ive got my garb on....but being all mostly thin layers, i can still do all the flexible yard work needed. By the time im moving about i remove a layer as too warm.

When younger i ran cross country and recall winter running, starting off with gym knickers and airtex top under a jogging suit, to end the run in just the knickers and t shirt! Oh the stamina of youth! ?

Winters100

Visit site
Long johns and thermal vest, jeans, polo shirt, fleece and gilet. This is enough down to about -3, at which point I add a jacket. Only works though if I don't stand around for a second, I do all my jobs at a very brisk walk. Only time I really feel it is when first getting on the horse - until we start moving properly I suffer a bit.

claret09

Visit site
i generally wear a pair of legging under joggers and then a pair of waterproof trousers from go outdoors. they are about £25.00 and work brilliantly. can really recommend

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
Overtrousers are the only thing that helps keep me warm in this sort of weather.
Nice high waisted ones that I can Tuck tops jumpers into.
Generally thermal leggings underneath.
And lots of thin layers on top that I can remove/put back on as needed

cauda equina

Visit site
I keep a box of vinyl gloves by the back door and put a pair on before going outside
They're not a miracle cure for cold painful hands but do help; they trap a bit of heat, keep hands dry and any other gloves can go over the top

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
I have arthritis in my SI joint and lower spine so the cold mornings are difficult. Anyway I wear a heated up wheaty bag around my waist and I have it strapped on so the bag sits comfortably on the joint area and also provides heat on my lower back. I got the 'strap on' from wheaty bag.co.uk and when the wheaty bag itself died I simply bought a cheap one from a medical supplies site. The heat last about an hour and I reheat it in the microwave for 2 mins. Works a treat!

McGrools

Visit site
I have a selection of 2nd hand cashmere polo necks bought from ebay that keep me really warm for teaching outside. Also neoprene wellies keep my feet warm enough.
my 30 year old suede full chaps have just packed in so i’m in the market for more! ?