Keeping 'white' horses white

MollyCon

Visit site
Does anybody out there know of any cheap methods to keep a 'white' horse white? My charming mare has decided that her poo is more comfortable than her bedding and she'd rather lie on it, thus giving herself some lovely stains. They come out with extra-strength stain removing shampoo and lots of elbow grease, but this is an expensive method, especially as she has also recently discovered the joys of rolling in puddles. Please help - she looks unloved!

naid pollyanna

Visit site
ive made a solemn promise no matter how quality the horse is to never buy a white one! but we have had two white show ponies and although keeping them white as such is only existant in dreams we have found the the best way to bath them getting all the stains out is actually fairy liquid! it sounds bizare but it works great. i would patch test first just incase your horse is sensitive but we have never found it do anything:) abit of chalk and talk for any stubbern yellow circles works too and any shampoo desinged for grey horses. we used to use a human shapoo designed for bleach blonde hair too. it was purple in colour but not too expensive ad that made their white coats really glow especially under lights and the sun:) as for tails get steredant like for false teeth but two or three little capsules in a bucket of hot water and hld it up with the tail in for 15/20 minutes. it might be labour but you wont get it any whiter :D hope that helps:) oh and also keep rugged as much as you can before a competition or lesson anything you want to be gleaming for tail bags and bandages/boots:)

BlackRider

Visit site
Accept that they won't be!

(i've got 2 greys - yes I could turn them out all sparkly when we where competing, but daily, they just get a brush, and the occasional mane and tail wash in nice weather)

mandwhy

Visit site
Ooh I might try the steradent thing on my horses flaxen tails, I am sure one of them is supposed to be white as her mane has amazing non stick qualities but the tail is yellow with brown streaks, great.

I get 'touch of silver' human shampoo, it is cheap (like 99p in home bargains I think!) and there is a twice a week toner which is good for yellowness.

I baby oil the tails a lot but don't suppose you can do that on a whole horse!

SCMSL

Visit site
First thing you hve to do is buy a full neck rug - stable, turnout and fly sheet for summer! Yes, its expensive, but a good one will last for ages and it pays off when you don't have to spend more time cleaning the horse than actually riding him!

As for stain removal, the easiest and most effective way is to wash the horse with Fairy - the dish soap!

NaeNae87

Visit site
I wash my grey in Amino gloss shampoo and to get his tail super clean before shows, I spray Sard Wonder Soap in this tail to remove the stains and leave it in while I wash his body. I then wash is tail in Equinade Glo-White shampoo and then (after he has been rinsed off) I dunk the ends of his tail in Blu-O (laundry optical brightner)

He is kept out 24/7 on clay, unrugged so when he rolls the fine particles really get into his coat. I wash him before shows and as long as he is presentable for lessons, I don't reall mind how dirty he gets... he is a horse after all. :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I also rate fairy liquid anti bac one seems the best, also the purple human shampoo is great if you lather it in then leave it for a bit before rinsing, tell you what else is brilliant super drug do a toner in a small grey bottle its 99p get the lightest blonde one that is also purple, I also use it on my own bleached hair gets rid of any yellow great stuff.

whisp&willow

Visit site
what bedding do you use? If Willow was on straw she would be green, but is much better with a thick shavings bed.

Unless we are going to a show, I don't bother trying to keep her sparkling clean! As others have said, fairy, elbow grease, a blue rinse and chalk are essentials...

TommisMum

Visit site
We have 4 greys and 1 bay with white sox.
The 3 ponies live out and the 2 horses in.
I have jsut discovered hot clothing with dettol - amazing results! Quick groom then a kettle of boiling water with a cap of dettol wipe over and voila ....both on thegrass kept and stabled and there is the advantage of not smelling of horse pee!!
Also for shows I have used net curtain whitener on tails, going to try domestos as that is used by our local race yard with an amazing result but also have seen Daz used by a successful showing yard!

hnmisty

Visit site
I found those grooming block stone thingies (erm...these bad boys http://www.rideaway.co.uk/dublin-grooming-block) brilliant for getting out day to day stable stains.

Had special grey shampoo, which was eons out of date but still did the job.

I was quite lucky with my grey, she wasn't really one for turning yellow. I did get asked once at a show by a fellow grey owner how I kept her so white, but I didn't do anything special.

Perissa

Visit site
I have three greys and can say hand on heart the only way to keep them clean is not allow them to get stains in the first place. Tails are bagged. Cowboy Magic Green Spot Remover is my best friend.

Mud isn't so bad as that washes out clean but pee and poo stains must be removed daily. I use an old lightweight over stable rugs to keep the worst poo stains off the body.

I use Gallop Extra Strength shampoo, followed by Bright'n'White or Quick Silver, leave on the coat for 5 mins or so and rince off. Using warm water seems to get them cleaner too.

Tiffany

Visit site
I use Horsewise Elite dry shampoo in winter from www.lenrys.co.uk and in summer I use a cheap supermarket shampoo with water and elbow grease. Needs doing every day to keep on top of poo stable stains :D

Last edited:

katiey

Visit site
Johnson Baby wipes are my new best friend with my grey boy!!

Any poo stain, grass stain - rub with baby wipe then buff with body brush. Works like magic!!! I remove stains daily and he stays clean :) He hasnt had a bath since last summer (only a tail wash thanks to this blooming horrid wet weather and mud). Good luck :) x

MollyCon

Visit site
Thanks for all your help guys! I am now armed with a list and shall work my way through it until I find something that works for us :) . All your help is much appreciated, espcially with the upcoming show season. Thanks again! :)

SCMSL

Visit site
I've always used the actual fairy, never tried any other brands. But it turns out to be pretty cheap. I usually keep a spray bottle in hand with a bit of fairy and water to use on those poo spots that always seem to creep up! I just spray it on the horse and then wipe it off with a moist sponge.