Eventing Kelsall questions

Roxylola

Visit site
Kelsall have a one day at the end of September and I'm really tempted to have a crack at the 80.
I'm a bit concerned about the ground though, its September in the north west... Studding wont be an option. I'm not going to chase times or anything, I'm happy to go steady but I do not under any circumstances want to give supercob an unpleasant experience or risk his legs. I'd write the entry off if it came to it, but has anyone been round? Is it likely to be ok, or not worth the chance?

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Kelsall is on very sandy ground so shouldn't be too terrible. I've not managed to do an event there yet (though done the arena eventing there a few times), is this the BE one you're doing?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I evented Amber round there in both the 80 and the 90 unshod. She was fine both times. It's a lovely venue and a really nice track! I'm taking Dolly this year - she is not shod either.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
We live at Kelsall and the ground is generally good. I don't compete but even the farm ride around the grounds rarely gets boggy...and the event will be on the better ground we don't use.

If you're close by, why not pop over and do the arena eventing training day as a warm up?

Roxylola

Visit site
That's good to know, thank you. He's shod but no stud holes, not likely to be reshod in the next 4 weeks, and having never worn studs I wouldnt want to just bung them in for a competition anyway.
I'm assuming dressage and SJ would be on surfaces there

Roxylola

Visit site
We live at Kelsall and the ground is generally good. I don't compete but even the farm ride around the grounds rarely gets boggy...and the event will be on the better ground we don't use.

If you're close by, why not pop over and do the arena eventing training day as a warm up?
That's great to know. Thank you
I've just constantly been busy, it's about an hour for us, so it would be too late for my owner (and driver) as she has small humans for us to do the Thursday evenings, and my Saturdays have been booked up for ages. I think the next one is the last before they move everything on to the competition field and I'm (walking the 80) grooming for my friend at llany on Saturday

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
That's great to know. Thank you
I've just constantly been busy, it's about an hour for us, so it would be too late for my owner (and driver) as she has small humans for us to do the Thursday evenings, and my Saturdays have been booked up for ages. I think the next one is the last before they move everything on to the competition field and I'm (walking the 80) grooming for my friend at llany on Saturday
The arena eventing course is then hired out the day after a training day...it might be worth a call to the office to see if you can book it for an hour or so??

In theory they could let you book it any day?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
That's good to know, thank you. He's shod but no stud holes, not likely to be reshod in the next 4 weeks, and having never worn studs I wouldnt want to just bung them in for a competition anyway.
I'm assuming dressage and SJ would be on surfaces there
Yes, the dressage will be in the outdoor on a surface, and the SJ will be in the new outdoor arena, still being built.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I’ve not competed there, but I’ve FJ’d and dressage scribed there many times. The XC going is usually excellent.

The SJ and dressage used to be on grass, this is a BE90 qualifier arena in the very wet Sept 2017 running! I was writing, this was part way through the class. You won‘t need to be squelching around in a bog scaring seagulls in 2020 :D. The XC still rode very well, it‘s a lovely course.

0A0BB57F-E92E-4EE9-A7E5-52DBC3D8C203.jpeg

ETA My very, very green then 5yo went clear XC round the BE80 in 2016.

Here she is at the water obstacle (it was only a hazard, not a jump, but she was taking no chances :D). A pro on board.

95D74987-CDF8-4191-AAA9-95F47E3A4BD3.jpeg

Last edited:

Roxylola

Visit site
Oh this sounds promising. You aren't doing a very good job of talking me out of it.
I'm glad the other bits are on a surface though. Hes a big lad to be wrestling round wet grass, his canter either breaks or runs when he gets unbalanced at the moment so even footing helps us out a lot. Especially as I'm not allowed a stick

DressageCob

Visit site
I know for April they were intending to do the SJ on a surface officially for the first time ever (it said so in their sponsor brochure). I would therefore expect SJ to be on a surface for September. it was always previously on grass, although I think last year or the year before it was moved to the arena by the final day because of the ground.

The soil is sand based and well draining. They do good ground prep as well.

It's quite a hilly course so good fitness is recommended. It's not steep hills like the one at Eland, but quite steady uphill sections and quite a steep downhill towards the water.

It's a nice event. They normally have quite a few spectators, although that has reduced since they started charging people. They have good trade stands too.

http://www.kelsallhill.co.uk/media/...ill International Horse Trials April 2020.pdf

Lexi_

Visit site
Do it! Kelsall is lovely ?

We’ll be FJing on the Fri and Sat and I promise to give you a loud woohoo if you’re competing then.

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Generally still good to ride round even after lots of rain, done BE90 to Novice multiple times in Sept. Has been wet a few times. The SJ arena did used to cut-up and ride a little heavy after lots of rain (as did the dressage but less consequences there) so good that it will be in the arena as they did on the Sat last year before cancelling the Sun. The XC course was the worst I've seen it that Sat pm when went round the 100 - I just picked our way round on fresh ground as much as could, actually rode fine (I did the post the vid of our XC round at the time which might give an idea of the ground). The XC warm-up was close to unusable in most parts that day - the ground just couldn't absorb the water so there was alot of surface water on top of sodden and deep ground. By far the worst have seen it there. The course was not as bad as the warm-up.

As long as you're used to cantering up and down hill in balance in soft ground then you should be fine even if there is alot of rain again this year.

Roxylola

Visit site
And we've entered! On a positive note, I wont need to register charlie again at least! But yikes that's my September competing/training budget gone already!
What happens if we get balloted? Do I get that back?