Kennel cough vaccine

Boxers

Visit site
What do I need to know about the kennel cough vaccine?

I have owned dogs for nearly 20 years but have never had them vaccinated against kennel cough.

I recently got a letter from the boarding kennels we use stating that from now on dogs must be vaccinated. The vaccine to have been given at least two weeks before going to the boarding kennels.

My two boys are going for a week mid June. Their usual vaccinations are due at the beginning of June. Shall I get the whole lot done at once or have the kennel cough one done separately at an earlier date.

Thanks.

Megan2507

New User
Visit site
Hi,

I run a boarding kennels. Kennel cough can either be a virus or occasionally by bacteria, so although the vaccination can protect them against some forms of the illness it cant protect them against all forms. You might as well save yourself a trip and get them all done at once there's no negative side effects as it is a vaccine that they squirt up the nose of the dog not inject under the skin. Hope that helps!

cbmcts

Visit site
I have one of those rare but annoying dogs that always ends up with kennel cough (mildly) a week or two after having the vaccine.
He still has to have it as he has to go into kennels a couple of times a year so I make sure that he always has it at least 6 weeks before a stay and at a different time to his other vaccs...

I think I'd have your dogs done earlier, at least the first time just in case.