Kennel cough

mynutmeg

Visit site
Dry raspy cough, sometimes they feel ill so are quiet and lethargic. Most dogs treatment wise is just use cough medicine from the chemist (thats from my vets) to manage symptoms and let them get over it. If old/young/underlying health issue or if they don't improve or seem very ill then go to the vets for some antibiotics to treat / prevent secondary bacterial infections.

Kennel cough is basically a dogs equivalent of a cold or flu so a viral illness that they need supported through. It's only dangerous to them if they develop a secondary infection.

It is very contagious so any ill dogs should be isolated although if one animal in a house gets it your almost certain for others in that house to get it, just don't go out to parks, training etc as they won't thank you for spreading it around.

You can vaccinate against it but they have to be vaccinated every year as it mutates that same way flu does, it's not completely effective and if you do vaccinate most kennels won't take the dog for about 6 weeks because it's a live vaccine used so there is a small risk of it developing into kennel cough or of it spreading.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
^^^ this. Just to add the cough oftens sounds as if they have something stuck in their throat rather than what we would normally call a cough.

Lady Supreme

Visit site
Agree with above. The cough may have the symptom of retching & a white frothy liquid (saliva) may be produced. Benolyn is pretty pretty good but obviously adjust doseage. Honey in their water is also good & if they will take honey straight from spoon, even better. Not the squeezy honey, Manuka preferably but the darker the honey colour the better. Above all, keep them in!!!

Suelin

Visit site
Thanks for the info. Would this be a continuous cough, like our own, or does one cough in a week constitute kennel cough?

Lady Supreme

Visit site
IMO no, one cough a week wouldn't signify kennel cough. Could be the dry weather (though not last night) Have you felt the glands? Slight pressure round there will usually initiate a cough which could signify that your dog is under the weather

Suelin

Visit site
Thanks LS, this was my thought as well. The dog hasn't coughed at all today following the vet's diagnosis (I think this vet must be about 12 years old) She felt the gland area and the dog coughed but then so did my whippet bitch when I did the same to her and she most definitely isn't under the weather in any way.

I think I will go with my gut instinct on this.

Thankyou for all your thoughts and input.

Suelin

Visit site
SusieT, you misunderstand. I was somewhat vague I know. The two dogs live 150 miles apart and haven't been near each other. I did this to my bitch to see if I could replicate the reaction and did. She does not have kennel cough or anything remotely similar.