Kennel Cough

Karran

Visit site
if one of our dogs comes down with it, they're not allowed to train for two weeks, so I guess quarantine is about same time? I think virus lasts 10 days or so?

BallyJ

Visit site
2weeks I thought?

My dog sitter called to say one of the dogs staying with mine was positive, which is quite annoying!

deb_l222

Visit site
Incubation period is 10 days but I would give it 2 weeks just to be clear. Biggest problem is knowing where they picked it up from and when the infection actually started.

Karran

Visit site
Better to be safe than sorry though? If i'm right Amymay does dog walking//dog day care. Not sure how much contact her dogs have with others but it is infectious. If I was her, I'd do the responsible thing as well and keep mine away. Its absolutely rife at the moment! Flyball rules are that if one dog in a team goes down with it, then no dog from that club trains or competes for two weeks to help prevent the spread.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Wow, the hot takes are coming thick and fast today! KC is extremely virulent/infectious. I kept mine home for 14 days last time. My two males have no direct physical contact with one another or each others' bowls/toys etc and one still managed to pass it to the other after picking it up in kennels in 5-7 days. NO ONE will thank you if you just plough on and spread it to someone else's dogs. Especially if they are running a dog-related business.

bonny

Visit site
Wow, the hot takes are coming thick and fast today! KC is extremely virulent/infectious. I kept mine home for 14 days last time. My two males have no direct physical contact with one another or each others' bowls/toys etc and one still managed to pass it to the other after picking it up in kennels in 5-7 days. NO ONE will thank you if you just plough on and spread it to someone else's dogs. Especially if they are running a dog-related business.
I assume your dog had kennel cough though, Amymay’s dog doesn’t ?

skinnydipper

Visit site
I assume your dog had kennel cough though, Amymay’s dog doesn’t ?

How do you know?

It’s not Covid ! I wouldn’t worry unless your dog shows signs of it.

I adopted a dog from the Dogs Trust, I didn't know she had kennel cough when I brought her home. Before she was diagnosed she infected the 2 dogs I had at the time, my sister's dog, my step brother's dog and my neighbour's dog. 3 were so unwell they required veterinary treatment.

A dog can infect other dogs during the asymptomatic incubation period, like people with covid :)

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Better to be safe than sorry though? If i'm right Amymay does dog walking//dog day care. Not sure how much contact her dogs have with others but it is infectious. If I was her, I'd do the responsible thing as well and keep mine away. Its absolutely rife at the moment! Flyball rules are that if one dog in a team goes down with it, then no dog from that club trains or competes for two weeks to help prevent the spread.

Thanks Karran. Yes I have to protect my dogs, but more importantly my clients dogs. So all clients cancelled. Some of my clients dogs are elderly.

Michen

Visit site
I posted a similar thread a while ago. I quarantined mine for 14 days but waited 3 weeks before going to the yard just to be super safe, as there's an elderly spaniel there and I'd have been furious with myself if she gave it to him (as that's obviously direct contact)

HelenBack

Visit site
Do you guys tend to vaccinate your dogs against it? I have never bothered as I understood the vaccine doesn't offer that much protection overall. However, it seems to be rife in our area too at the moment and we have some fairly irresponsible / stupid dog owners round here so I'm wondering whether it might be worth doing after all.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
You need it for kennels etc but it's generally as much use as a chocolate teapot as there are so many strains. All of mine have caught it while vaccinated but better looking at it, than for it, I suppose. It's absolutely everywhere at the minute.

HelenBack

Visit site
You need it for kennels etc but it's generally as much use as a chocolate teapot as there are so many strains. All of mine have caught it while vaccinated but better looking at it, than for it, I suppose. It's absolutely everywhere at the minute.

Thanks. My dog doesn't go in kennels so we've never been in a position where he's been forced to have it. I also understood it to be as much use as a chocolate teapot so not sure it's worth me bothering. Hmm.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Maybe lessens the impact on older or more vulnerable dogs? I could do without the Steve Irwin style wrestling one has to do with my older dog to get it up his schnozz....

HelenBack

Visit site
Yes well that's another issue because mine is nervous at the vets at the best of times so I can see the procedure going down like a lead balloon! Do know what you mean about it lessening the impact though, and although I have no reason to suspect he is vulnerable at the moment I also don't like the idea of him feeling a bit rubbish for a couple of weeks.