Kent and Master Saddles

dianchi

Visit site
Anyone have/had one and reviews please?

Im possibly looking at their GDP one for my youngster and just after details of how they last and wear please!

Thanks

tatty_v

Visit site
I've just bought one for my horse. I haven't had it very long but it's very comfortable and seems very well made. Certainly better than the wintec he came with!

Joyous70

Visit site
Mine is over 5 years old, wearing really well & very comfortable, sadly will need to be replacing it at some point as the wrong type for my youngster, as i have a HW and she needs a regular or compact :(

Antw23uk

Visit site
I like mine, its very comfy and with a changeable gullet it means I can go up and down as his body changes. currently in a M/W but need to go up to a medium ... or change it for a smaller, lighter jump saddle!

Bernster

Visit site
Only just got mine, it's the GPD, 17.5' with the red gullet in. I like it, it's comfy, leather seems pretty good although don't know how well it wears. I like that it has changeable gullet as I suspect mine will change shape. Although not entirely sure it fits, although saddler has rechecked and assures me it does - am getting a second opinion. Saddlers are like gold dust round here though.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
We have three and have had them for about 4-5 yrs. we both find them really comfortable and they are not showing any wear. I wouldn't say the level of finish is as good as a more expensive saddle but they do represent good value.
There was a problem with the leather quality a few years ago but I think that has been sorted. Also, the widest gullet seems to distort the saddle.

samlf

Visit site
I have the GPD and I like it - it clearly isn't an expensive saddle but that said it wears well and does the job

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Aside from the leather wearing badly (I didn't keep it long enought to comment on that!) Id agree with Saddlesore and Webble. I felt constantly that it was too low, tipping me forward. It felt like my lower leg was too far back and I was pitched a bit un- safely on top.
I originally had a T4 and thought as I liked that the K&M would be a better quality step up but I hated and sold it on quickly.
I'd have another T4 on a budget but never a Kent and Masters again.

Last edited:

Jenna1406

Visit site
Following! My OH has a K&M and it seems to drop at the front also. We have ended up getting the saddler to take some flocking out the back.

Dubsie

Visit site
Ours was new about 5 years ago. The leather on the seat stretched and got a wrinkle while being heavily used at Pony Club camp (in the rain), but LOADS of feeding with Stubben Hamanol later it's completely gone, the leather has definitely improved (somehow??!!) and every things it a really good & really comfortable saddle, used LOTS and seems to be wearing really well.

dotty1

Visit site
I have a pony jump saddle, it takes the widest silver bar which I needed and as I have short legs it fits me perfectly, it is very secure and doesn't move on my role poly no withered horse. I have had it 6 months and it looks like new still, I love it.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I've got a K&M GPD, which I've had from new, about 4 years ago. I find it very comfortable and secure for flatwork, hacking and low level jumping. The leather is fine.

A few people have commented that it's a nice looking saddle, and were quite surprised that it's a K&M!

I don't currently have a horse suitable for it, but am hanging on to it 'just in case'.

Lauren_abigail

Visit site
Following - I have just bought a K&M S Series Dressage and I love it. I currently have a Saddle Company GP and HATE it, it's so uncomfortable. However it fits the horse beautifully so I'm reluctant to get rid.

I like the look of the K&M GPD, as the Dressage fits him nicely I would like to think the GPD would as well

B&J

Visit site
I've got one of their cob xw GP leather ones. Bought it December-ish last year. Found it really comfortable. It cleans up well although the hair getting on the Velcro knee blocks is driving me a little bit insane. Not sure how they wear long term but pleased so far. Comfortable to hack for a couple of hours and good in the school as well

happyclappy

Visit site
Love them, great quality, comfortable, and fit a lot of horses well. Like all saddles though, they cannot fit all, but if they have one that fits yours I would go for it.:)

orionstar

Visit site
K&M actually do several different types of saddle for different fits. I have a S-Series compact GP and I've had it for three years now, ridden in it on a daily basis and it's comfortable. fits the horse well and has worn very well too. Sis has just bought one, and the fitter tried three different styles on him before they decided on the right one, so it's definitely not a case of one saddle fits all, but they are very good value for money!

ladyt25

Visit site
I bought a Cob GP for my horse about 5 years ago now and it's been great. He had been refusing fences and his saddle (that I'd had years) just seemed to be slipping back and rubbing. I got the K&M and I don't think he's stopped since. He is 24 now and I just wished I'd changed it years before as I never before considered the saddle could be causing all my issues!

Mine has worn well and my horse filled out across his shoulders/wither area where before I can only assume he had muscle wastage from the previous saddle not being right. I started my youngster in this saddle too and he was going fine, I thoroughly regret that I decided to buy him a Wintec Wide (didn't want to spend too much as knew would have to get a different saddle in the end) as that's when all his issues started and, 2 years later I am still struggling to get him re-backed! :(

had Lavinia Mitchell out to look at my youngster to try fit a saddle. Even she said had I continued in the K&M it's quite likely the problems we've had would not have happened as they have very wide gullets ALL the way down.

Bernster

Visit site
Thanks all!!

GPD Users- would you show in them?

I don't show, as you know, but from looking at typical show saddles and pics, I'd say it's ok if you want to do multiple things and not invest in a separate saddle. It's not as straight through the shoulder and the pommel is quite set back, but it's certainly better than using a dressage or jump saddle for showing. If I do any showing, I will use this one (it's the only one I have !).

DebP

Visit site
I've got a brown one, I've had it for a couple of years. I use it a couple of times a week and it's like new! Had a problem with the original one - the leather was faulty and faded badly after a couple of months and one of the bolts that hold the panel on kept popping out. It was replaced without question would highly recommend, excellent customer service!

Achinghips

Visit site
Brilliant saddles. I've tried wintec, saddle company, thorowgood, Albion, ideal, Heather Moffat treeless ........ Nothing was right. Then I got k and m cob ...... Perfect for my wide lads

Fiona

Visit site
I'm so glad to find this post today, as I've booked my saddler to come out to fit a K&M saddle to our lead rein/PC pony next Friday.

Did someone say the silver coloured gullet plate is the widest?? I'm sure thats what he will need.

Fiona

suffolkmare

Visit site
I have a K&M and agree its a comfortable saddle. However it also proved tasty to my horses stable-neighbour, who chewed a girthstrap(!), and after 18 months it does look a bit worn, :( . Also it has lost a stud so needs a minor repair.

TPO

Visit site
I've had a really good experience with K&M saddles. They've fitted really well, worn so well that, the cob saddle especially, still looks like new and they're comfortable to ride in.

Sadly selling my high wither GP K&M as horse has been retired. I really want to keep it "just in case" as I'm sure I'll get another tb next year but it seems silly to have it gathering dust in already limited storage space.

My mum is reluctantly selling her cob GP because her horse has changed shape and now has a dressage saddle. It looks as good as the day it was bought and she's really missing riding in it.

So overall it's a thumbs up from me :)