Kent and masters saddle reviews please

gold

Visit site
Wants your thoughts of the K&M cob saddle ?
I've ridden in a thorowgood t8 cob saddle and really to didn't like the feeling of it.. I know these are made by the same company so wanted people's opinions!

magic14

Visit site
I have a K&M Cob saddle, I love it, so comfy and suits my boy well.
I tried the Thorowgood T8 at my saddle fitting and I hated, I sat on it for all of 5 minutes before totally dismissing it, it just felt awful! Didn't suit me or my horse in the slightest.

gold

Visit site
I have a K&M Cob saddle, I love it, so comfy and suits my boy well.
I tried the Thorowgood T8 at my saddle fitting and I hated, I sat on it for all of 5 minutes before totally dismissing it, it just felt awful! Didn't suit me or my horse in the slightest.

What shape is your horse ? Did you feel like there was nothing Infront of you with the thorowgood ? I am struggling so much to find a saddle to fit my boy :(

magic14

Visit site
Yes, it felt like there was nothing there with the Throrowgood.
My boy when first fitted was a huge big round barrell - he's a cob - 14.1. He's lost weight now and has since had the saddle re-fitted and it's still just as good. I also tried a Wintec at the same time, which was a good fit and comfortable but I much preferred the k&M looks wise.

gold

Visit site
Yes, it felt like there was nothing there with the Throrowgood.
My boy when first fitted was a huge big round barrell - he's a cob - 14.1. He's lost weight now and has since had the saddle re-fitted and it's still just as good. I also tried a Wintec at the same time, which was a good fit and comfortable but I much preferred the k&M looks wise.

Ahh okay thanks :) I was worried the K&M would give me the same feeling so have been avoiding trying one but maybe it's time to try :D

magic14

Visit site
One thing my saddler said to me was the K&Ms are often such a good fit is because they are highly adjustable. Good luck with your search :)

magic14

Visit site
Just because it tipped forward for one or was a perfect fit for another doesn't mean it will for you. When I was looking for a saddle I read countless posts where they were great for people and then not for others. You really need to try it for yourself and your horse 😊

MRich

Visit site
I've got a K&M cob saddle for my 15.1 5 year old cob, I love riding in it and it fits perfectly. The saddler said it is easily adjustable too as he's likely to fill out a bit more yet.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I loved mine when I had one, lovely to ride in, easily altered, as my boy changed shape all the time. I thought it was reasonably priced, smart looking, I had the brown colour which I really liked. When I sold on I got a really good price. Would happily have another if that's what suited my horse.
Only way to know is to give one a try.

I am now a treeless convert being in love with my Hesther Moffett......also in brown :D

BayLady

Visit site
Anyone got a photos of them riding in it??

This is me in mine. It's a 17" but my saddler told me K&M seats run a bit on the small side and it's closer to a 16.5", which is fine for my backside but does mean I'm a bit short on leg room on the flaps. I get this with all saddles though, short of going custom made with more generals flaps I'm always going to look a bit short on knee space. It feels fine though.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...166882.-2207520000.1408105077.&type=3&theater

I tried a T4 first, fitted pony well but I really didn't like it for me. The Kent & Masters fits the same but doesn't ride the same, it's completely different.

It isn't the best quality leather I've ever seen, but it is a budget saddle at the end of the day. A friend of mine has had one for a couple of years now and it looks absolutely fine, pretty much like new, so I'm not overly worried about durability. I got mine secondhand which helps.

Mollymillymoo

Visit site
I bought a K&M Cob GP saddle for my 15hh cob, I have never felt quite as secure in it as I did in our old wintec but it fits him a great deal better. Having said that we've had it for 4 years now and I don't notice the security problem anymore.

It's comfy for long hacks/jumping/dressage and his shoulder feels more free in it if that makes sense?

I do have a problem though with the leather quality of the girth straps, they were disgusting tatty brittle bits of leather and the saddle was brand new! I have looked after them and they've lasted but I wasn't pleased. Price is good though, and as long as you don't look under my saddle flaps it looks smart!

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/560879_10152097997355162_198564710_n.jpg

gold

Visit site
I bought a K&M Cob GP saddle for my 15hh cob, I have never felt quite as secure in it as I did in our old wintec but it fits him a great deal better. Having said that we've had it for 4 years now and I don't notice the security problem anymore.

It's comfy for long hacks/jumping/dressage and his shoulder feels more free in it if that makes sense?

I do have a problem though with the leather quality of the girth straps, they were disgusting tatty brittle bits of leather and the saddle was brand new! I have looked after them and they've lasted but I wasn't pleased. Price is good though, and as long as you don't look under my saddle flaps it looks smart!

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/560879_10152097997355162_198564710_n.jpg

Thank you.. Why did you get rid of the wintec I'm also considering a wintec cob saddle .. He has over developed muscle in his shoulder which will go with work hopefully ! So don't want to pay out too much really!

Mollymillymoo

Visit site
The wintec didn't fit him properly, he'd had it since he was 4 and was ok to start with but after 6 years he'd changed shape a lot and he used to kick out/shake his back and buck when you put the saddle on him!

I really preferred the bates cob saddle, found it really secure and good quality when I tried it but he didn't like it as it's essentially a wintec in leather. I guess try a few different things and see what you both like? A wintec is nice and cheap if you just want something you can adjust while they mature, then get something nice further down the line? Although if you do that beware that it's almost impossible to part ex synthetic saddles, if you want to change later.

dibbin

Visit site
I love mine. Sadly will be selling it as it's not an ideal for for Jazz, but fitted Dylan (15.1 TBxSecD) beautifully.

Mine is a 17.5", I used the wide gullet on Dylan and it's currently a Medium/Wide on Jazz.

This is me on Dylan:
155387_1721271508889_1151343612_2042638_4447162_njpg.jpeg

And on Jazz:
IMG-20140731-WA0063.jpg

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Tipped me forward, was uncomfortable and the leather wasnt great quality

This, I'll be honest i didnt keep it long enough to notice the leather quality was particularly bad but i felt unsafely tilted forwards. (as i did in my previous Thorowgood, Id say they are very very similar to ride in)

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Tried one recently on my cob when he had outgrown his made to measure hoop tree, fitted him quite well but not me, I found I was tipped forward very slightly, but my lad is very flat backed and bum high. We went for an ideal which offered the best fit for both of us. My criticism was that is was a bit squishy and pouffe, bit like a sofa, whereas the ideal looked neater and sleeker.

happyclappy

Visit site
kandm are fantastic, much more comfy than thorowgood even though part of the same company. they do operate seperate to each other an produce and design the saddles independantly. try one is all i can suggest

Capriole

Visit site
This, I'll be honest i didnt keep it long enough to notice the leather quality was particularly bad but i felt unsafely tilted forwards. (as i did in my previous Thorowgood, Id say they are very very similar to ride in)

A friend had one and the poor quality was evident from the start, she was on a ride when it rained a little bit (shock horror in the uk, eh) and the dye came out. She had murder trying to get the company to rectify it so customer service was lacking too. There was supposed to have been a bad batch of leather but I saw references to that bad batch for at least a couple of years so must have been a large batch...
Friend liked the saddle itself though.
I think they are ok, there are other saddles I would buy before one of those though.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yes, Ive heard of a few people having problems in the rain with dye and also under the stirrup leathers which i know gets marked eventually anyway but not instantly!
I didn't have any problems like this with mine too be fair, I rode in the rain with no problem and when i cleaned it it always looked brand new.
It does seem a regular gripe with them though.

Myloubylou

Visit site
Not a massive fan of mine. Fits my horse well (welsh d) but is very straight cut which makes me feel insecure when jumping as my knee is very close to the front of it and I don't have long legs! I have an older saddle and the leather is of good quality. I was always led to believe that T4, T6, T8 and K&M are basically the same saddle but different materials which I guess affects comfort. Other saddle I have is Isabell Werth wintec which I love in comparison.