Kent & Master saddle

Always Henesy

Visit site
Not a dressage saddle - but have recently bought a GP high wither.

I have had it 2 weeks and already the leather is flaking off under the stirrup leathers and on the skirt.

I sent an email to K&M last sunday and they have not even acknowledged it.

£725 and I am not happy :mad:

I am giving them until tomorrow to respond and then I'm taking it back to the stockist and asking for a full refund.

herewego

Visit site
Not a dressage saddle - but have recently bought a GP high wither.

I have had it 2 weeks and already the leather is flaking off under the stirrup leathers and on the skirt.

I sent an email to K&M last sunday and they have not even acknowledged it.

£725 and I am not happy :mad:

I am giving them until tomorrow to respond and then I'm taking it back to the stockist and asking for a full refund.

Funny you should say that, this one has marks like that and I mentioned it to the saddle fitter, she said it was a demo one and if I wanted it would knock some money off

miller

Visit site
Not heard good stories from a saddler - reckoned they last approx 2 years so may as well buy a good brand and it last 10x longer!

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Hmmm, YO brought one for hers and although a lovely comfy saddle (jump not dressage) the leather across the pommel is looking as if it's been dragged along the floor (it hasn't) the saddle is a year old and been used for about 8 months max. Impressed at first but wouldnt get another.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Well, I'm going to go against the grain here . . . I bought one two years ago (a GP) and it's worn really well . . . gullet has been changed twice, I clean it regularly and I can honestly say the leather has held up great . . . no flaking of any kind, leather is soft and supple, the only marks on it are where my trainer scuffed it on the back of the cantle and the usual marks on the flaps where the stirrup leathers lie.

P

vam

Visit site
i have a jump and my friend has a dressage and she is very happy with it as it was the only thing that fitted her wide cob.
I have been happy with mine for the last couple of years but im now thinking that its not the right saddle for either of us. However ive not had any problems with the actual quality of it and the fitting is more that i think it doesnt fit my horse properly now.
I would recommend them as mine has served it purpose but have a look at second hand saddles in other makes as you might be better off in the long run

soulfull

Visit site
I think the ones made about 2/3 years ago are great, not so much then newer one. They must have changed something fairly recently

Britestar

Visit site
My neighbour has one and loves it. She had a choice of it or a KN (at twice the price) and she chose the K&M. Her previous saddle was a KN so actually that was her choice until she rode in the K&M.

Hers is a year old and look immaculate, and it her only saddle so get use plenty.

herewego

Visit site
Dont know what to do now, have only ridden in it once and found it so comfy, and horse went really well. He is a warmblood and very short in the back, have had hell of a job finding a saddle to fit him and me. Can have the sadddle for a week so will try and give it plenty of use.

Capriole

Visit site
So many reports of crap ones over the last year and a half/two years or so, if you google. Its been blamed on a bad batch of leather, all I can say is, big batch of leather then!

Id buy an older 2nd hand one thats been well used and still looks good, wouldnt risk a brand new one.

rossiroo

Visit site
I bought a new dressage K&M in february and I am very happy with it so far, it is a top of the range one so I don't know if that makes a difference. I was prepared to buy a more expensive make, but the K&M one fitted the horse and myself the best.

BeckyD

Visit site
There's been a big problem with the leather lately - you just have to do a search on here to find out. I have a Fairfax Jump saddle, which has now been rebranded as the Kent & Masters S Series. I tried the dressage saddle in that range and hated it but it's all a matter of personal preference, and oddly my horse didn't like it (I have the jump saddle from the same range!!). I ended up with a Passier saddle (much better leather quality but stuffing quality not so great).

My jumping saddle (Fairfax but now K&M S Series) is fine. I don't like it particularly, but am happier now I've removed the knee blocks and I initially had long girth leathers put on so I can use a short girth. I find the seat very uncomfy (I get bruised seatbones and believe me my posterior is amply cushioned).

If you and your horse like it and can get one with decent leather rather than the cr*p leather that everyone is complaining about, then go for it!

D66

Visit site
I have a Kent and Masters VSD, bought lightly second hand end of last year. I love it, very comfortable, leather is great, fits the horse, and is adjustable so that as she grows I will be able to have it refitted to suit. When she matures in two or three years time I'd like to have a saddle made to measure, the K&M will do until then.:cool:

Daffodil

Visit site
I've had my K&M GP saddle just under a year, and absolutely love it. No sign of any deterioration in the leather at all.

claire_p2001

asdexploitvangroenhove.weebly.com
i have a jump and my friend has a dressage and she is very happy with it as it was the only thing that fitted her wide cob.
I have been happy with mine for the last couple of years but im now thinking that its not the right saddle for either of us. However ive not had any problems with the actual quality of it and the fitting is more that i think it doesnt fit my horse properly now.
I would recommend them as mine has served it purpose but have a look at second hand saddles in other makes as you might be better off in the long run

If you are thinking of selling yours let me know i have a friend looking for one :)

djlynwood

Visit site
I have the S-Series dressage and the S-Series jump saddles.

I have had the dressage for 7 months and the jump for 3 months. Both have been used daily in that time and no signs of leather flaking/discolouring at all.

I always get compliments on how good they look and that they look more expensive than what they are.

If you do get one, ask for the leather balm that Kent and Masters supply. If saddle fitter cant give you it, ask Kent and Masters direct and they will send you some free. I think the initial application of this works well in preserving the saddle.

VioletStripe

Visit site
I have a General Purpose one, and am very happy, but had it nearly a year now and the leather is showing a bit of wear on the surface bit? Despite my regular care. It's particularly on the skirt and just where the stirrup leathers lie. Not particularly bothered as it's not bad, but obviously it's not preferred :rolleyes: Fits my boy well and does the job though xx

spark56

Visit site
I've got an old style Fairfax dressage and the leather has been fine, despite getting soaked in the rain a number of times. I don't know whether the s-series is absolutely identical to the old fairfax or not though. I like mine enough that I'm thinking of getting a K&M for my new horse.

djlynwood

Visit site
I've got an old style Fairfax dressage and the leather has been fine, despite getting soaked in the rain a number of times. I don't know whether the s-series is absolutely identical to the old fairfax or not though. I like mine enough that I'm thinking of getting a K&M for my new horse.

fairfax has brought out a new dressage saddle which is the in the same price range as Albion and the likes. It looks lovely but at that cost, I would have the Albion.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Dont know what to do now, have only ridden in it once and found it so comfy, and horse went really well. He is a warmblood and very short in the back, have had hell of a job finding a saddle to fit him and me. Can have the sadddle for a week so will try and give it plenty of use.

My boy is also very short in the back and the K&M was the only saddle we tried that fitted both him and me. Doesn't mean it will work for you . . . but it does for us.

P

floradora09

Visit site
I've had the jump version for 2 years, has worn really well and leather not flaked at all (never seen one do it either). Have been really pleased with it, especially as they're not very expensive saddles. Leather on pommel has faded slightly, but I think that's down to heavy useage and not always the best care... :)

Glayva

Visit site
i bought a k&M S series dressage about 6 weeks ago and i love it. Its very comfy for both of us and i love the surface knee blocks. really helps me with my position on my very big bouncy warmblood. I can actually sit during downward transitions!!

B-B

Visit site
I bought mine, a VSD type, when they first came out and were still Thorowgood L4s. They are still sold as Thorowgood in the US, they were re-branded as Kent & Masters in the UK as they didnt sell.

The leather on mine is soft but as its only used for occasional jump work it has lasted well without problems. Very light too.

knighty

New User
Visit site
I just bout a new K&M and after one hack the leatehr is peeling. Really fed up as have had to save hard for this. Again, despite contacting K&M no reply ...