Kent & Masters gullets vs Bates

kobi

Visit site
Hello

I've got a new horse and neither of my current saddles fit. My Bates is the right width on the red (wide) plate but doesn't sit well. My Kent & Masters sits nicely but is too narrow on its current blue S bar gullet. I'm getting a saddle fitter out as quickly as possible but in the mean time I thought I'd buy a wider gullet for the K&M to have a look. Does anybody know which K&M gullet would be the equivalent of a Bates red gullet (wide). Thanks x

kobi

Visit site
Kent and masters look to have more widths than bates and the blue looks really quite narrow. I was wondering whether the K&M orange (wide/extra wide) was more equivalent to the Bates red (wide), or whether Bates wide and K&M wide were similar.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Because they are different shapes at the top, and the trees are different shapes, sitting the heaplates at different heights in many cases, it's impossible to say that going for the same angle will be correct, I would err on the side of wider in the TG/K&M as the shape is so narrow at the top. I would pull up photos from both websites and compare visually, though I would actually recommend not riding until the saddle's been seen, so much you can do in hand (eg straightnesstraining.com and tons of others).

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Print off a pic of the gullets from the internet and compare with the Bates gullet.... If you've got a tablet you can enlarge the pic to the right size on screen and lay your existing correct width over it.