Kent & Masters

Keeky

Visit site
Hi guys. Anyone have this saddle?
I'm looking into buying this tomorrow.
Also,
I really don't know wheather to get the GP or the jump version?
I do everything from flat to cross country and I'm currently jumping up to about 3ft3 and will no doubt go bigger over the next few years.
This will be my only saddle as I'm getting rid of my wintec, therefore it's SO hard! Does the GP have enough clearance to jump big in?
I need an all round saddle as we can't afford two kent & masters saddles.
So GP or Jump?
PLEASE HELP :( haha.

pootleperkin

Visit site
Hi,

I have a kent and masters....not had it long but think it is good quality for the price. If you didn't know, it's a Wintec but in leather.

Think I have the VSD - it's for my youngster and should enable us to do pretty much anything, so sorry, can't help you much on the jumping or GP.......but, I would go for the GP. With my old horse I only had one saddle, a GP and did everything from dressage to team chasing to affiliated SJ and ODE in it.

hayinamanger

Visit site
I don't have a K&M so can't help there, but I believe they are a leather version of the Thorowgood T4 and that the maker used to work for Thorowgood. I stand to be corrected on this.

CracklinRosie

Visit site
You'd be correct there, it's the Thorowgood it's modelled on not the Wintec.

I have one for my TB, it is supremely comfortable and also adjustable. Can't comment on whether to go for the jump or GP. Ask your saddler.

Piccy

Visit site
I have the GP version can't comment re the jumping, it's a fantastic saddle so comfy for both of us. I would say try both as you will know the best what will be right for you

Keeky

Visit site
Hi,

I have a kent and masters....not had it long but think it is good quality for the price. If you didn't know, it's a Wintec but in leather.

Think I have the VSD - it's for my youngster and should enable us to do pretty much anything, so sorry, can't help you much on the jumping or GP.......but, I would go for the GP. With my old horse I only had one saddle, a GP and did everything from dressage to team chasing to affiliated SJ and ODE in it.

That's good then, are the plates the same as a wintec? There's all sorts of makes going on in here like thorowgood too? haha! So no idea which make it's related with :L
Yeahh I'm thinking of the GP too and because he's really green I want to start him out with local/collage dressage shows and things but will I benefit from it in the years to come?
What make was the saddle you did all of that in? Goddd, you sound good! hahah, give me your riding skilllls:'( :L

Keeky

Visit site
I have the GP version can't comment re the jumping, it's a fantastic saddle so comfy for both of us. I would say try both as you will know the best what will be right for you

Do they let you try it in store or anything?
What is the GP like?? How much do you do in it? Does it limit you to anything etc? Comfortable? Worth what they say about it? etc. Thanks x

Keeky

Visit site
You'd be correct there, it's the Thorowgood it's modelled on not the Wintec.

I have one for my TB, it is supremely comfortable and also adjustable. Can't comment on whether to go for the jump or GP. Ask your saddler.

It sounds as it looks to be honest. Worried about if I will be limited but something is telling me to go for the GP. Yeah i have a thoroughbred too, TB'S ALL THE WAY!:D
Mine has really odd body shape. He's really narrow on the shoulders, will he benefit from a kent & masters?

brucethegypsycob

Visit site
hi - i`ve had k&m before and love them. i am hoping to get my boy fitted in october for the K&M s series vss - its a slightly more forwaard cut saddle than the GP but not as far forward as the jump.

Keeky

Visit site
hi - i`ve had k&m before and love them. i am hoping to get my boy fitted in october for the K&M s series vss - its a slightly more forwaard cut saddle than the GP but not as far forward as the jump.

Hiii :) Would you say that the GP would limit me much?
Thing is, he does have a rear and the occasional buck and I'd feel way more secure in a deeper seated saddle although when he does it's the most comfortable thing...hahahaha but I was in a wintec 2000 GP! Still, Kent & masters, GP or Jump? ahhhh! So confused!

councillor

Visit site
As someone said they are the "posher" leather version of the thorowgood. They have interchangeable width, and it is the thorowgood ones NOT the wintec that can be used for this. I have a TG dressage and a K&M for the rest, its the GP never sat on a jump one to pass comment on it, nor the fit fir a TB as I have a huge shouldered WB. You just need to sit on and see to be honest.

ladyt25

Visit site
I just got one last year for my TB x Connie and opted for the Cob GP (I think that's what it is anyway) mainly because I felt the fit was about the same as the GP but I preferred the square cantle and it doesn't sit as far forwards as the GP and I wanted something that wasn't interfering with hs shoulders. I do jump in it but I figured at the time, seeing as my horse is 20 that i wasn't going to be doing increased amounts of jumping and really down the line the majority of what he does is hacking so hence why I chose the cob.

I do have to pad it out though as he had lost some muscle across his shoulder/wither area I think as a result of his old saddle but the Cob sat a little low across his wither as, although he's fairly broad (apparently - i always though he was quite narrow in front) he has high withers. The padding makes it fit better and allows room for some development across the wasted areas so, hopefully I should be able to reduce the padding slightly.

Seems a nice saddle though to be honest - very good value and comfortable.

Are you not able to try the saddles before you buy and get a chance to ride in them?

xena_wales

Visit site
The GP will fit differently to the Jump. The GP has the longer R-bar gullets, and the jumping saddle has the shorter S-bar gullets, so it is likely to be your horse who decides which one you get!

polly1976

Visit site
Just to reiterate it is def based on the Thorowgood NOT the Wintec.
I have a GP and do dressage, SJ and XC in mine - love it. Everyone comments on how comfortable it is.
If you are unsure which one to get then speak to your saddler. Discuss it with them first before just going out and buying one. What area are you? Can recommend mine - based in South East.
Good luck :)

PolarSkye

Visit site
I have a GP and do dressage, SJ and XC in mine - love it. Everyone comments on how comfortable it is.
If you are unsure which one to get then speak to your saddler. Discuss it with them first before just going out and buying one. What area are you? Can recommend mine - based in South East.

Ditto this - please do make sure you get a reputable saddler out to fit the saddle to both you and your horse.

That said, I love mine - and it is used for flatwork, jumping and cross country with no bother. Very comfy and fits my narrow, upright shouldered, short backed boy just fine (which is why we bought it!).

P

Keeky

Visit site
Ditto this - please do make sure you get a reputable saddler out to fit the saddle to both you and your horse.

That said, I love mine - and it is used for flatwork, jumping and cross country with no bother. Very comfy and fits my narrow, upright shouldered, short backed boy just fine (which is why we bought it!).

P

Well that just says it all. Narrow, short backed! His conformation is greattt but odd for saddle fit. This might just be the one!
Thanks x

SpottyTB

Visit site
Hi, I have k&m jump saddle and love it! I use it for hacking, flat work, xc, sj and hunting! I have no issues riding in it and it's soo comfortable too! Also really good for my mare who changes shape regulary! :)

Jorel

Visit site
I obviously pulled the short straw then! I had a kent and masters for Murphy. It did nothing but roll to one side. We kept saying to the saddler that there was something wrong and all he did was restuff it. In the end WE took the saddle apart and the tree had been manufactured incorrectly and the saddler agreed with us. It still took the company 3 months to replace our faulty saddle we had been using (because we had been told by the company's fitter there was no problem with it) for 2 years! The replacement saddle didnot sit correctly either on murphy however on blue it is an amazing saddle to ride in. I would say if you have a wider horse (Murphy is a medium) then this saddle IMO is not a good option but for a narrower (Blue is medum narrow) one they are perfectly fine

Keeky

Visit site
Yeah my horse is narrow in re shoulders which is out problem so it seems like a saddle to try if not I will sell it on, no problem! OMG I would of ripped hem apart hahaha!

Shadow-01

Visit site
I've recently bought a K&M dressage saddle and am really pleased with it. It's v comfortable and seems really good quality. It's also very adjustable which is a bonus.

I can't comment on the jump saddle, but my friend also just bought the GP saddle which she's equally as pleased with and jumps regularly in it.

I hacked her boy out recently and found it really comfortable.

I'd definetly recommend them!

vicksey

Visit site

Same - everyone who has sat on it comments on how nice and comfy it is, but I do have a nice comfy horse too :)

Keeky

Visit site
JUST BOUGHT IT! IN THE CAR WITH IT NOW:D SO HAPPYYYYY! Tried it out in te shop and it's amazing! Aaaaah! The seat is really nice and deep but there is soooo much clearance for jumping and everything now let's just hope the saddler does a good job!

Piccy

Visit site
Good luck with it, just seen your quote on my previous post. I can only echo others posts I use mine for schooling, hacking and some jumping, find this saddle simply fantastic, where did you get from and when is your saddler coming out ?

Keeky

Visit site
Good luck with it, just seen your quote on my previous post. I can only echo others posts I use mine for schooling, hacking and some jumping, find this saddle simply fantastic, where did you get from and when is your saddler coming out ?

Thank youu very muchhh :) The saddler is coming out tomorrow morning so I'll let you know how it goes?:) It is exatly how it is descirbed! & I tried it in the shop, SO COMFY right? I got it from Ingatestone saddlery shop? Have you heard of it? AMAZING shop, has everything you can imagine!
They sell it for £650 in there aswell whereas usually it's £695? Not much difference but still! Good price :)