keratex hoof hardener

lizzi2

Visit site
Yes I've used it for a few years now, at recommendation of farrier. Seems to be fine - my horse's hooves seem generally less brittle than they used to be. :)

whisp&willow

Visit site
thanks for the replies! i have just started using it on my yearling (as advised by my farrier) she had badly chipped her toe, and her feet are pretty soft as a result of the ground being so wet.

she's been in over night for two days, and thankfully the sun is shining again so with that and the keratex her feet have started to harden up again. not sure how much is to do with environment and how much the keratex yet, but was just interested to see what others views are on it!

being coloured she has 4 striped, but mainly white feet- so im prepared for her having softer feet than im used to! :rolleyes:

lazybee

Visit site
I use it, but only very locally around the nail holes and any chips or cracks. I wouldn't use it all over as I fear it may make the hoof brittle.

supagran

Visit site
Used it on and off for years - brilliant stuff. HOWEVER, don't splash it and get it in your eyes - I did and ended up in hospital. The main ingredient is formaldehyde - which is used for preserving bodies!!!!

whisp&willow

Visit site
great to hear that it seems to be worth it then! to be honest if my farrier says it works then i believe him that it does!! :D

out of interest do/did you all use it as directed- i.e twice daily for two weeks then twice weekly? all year or only if and when needed- extremely wet ot hot/dry conditions?

x

GingerCat

Visit site
out of interest do/did you all use it as directed- i.e twice daily for two weeks then twice weekly? all year or only if and when needed- extremely wet ot hot/dry conditions?

x

I bought my last bottle about a year ago - it lasts
ages, but I'm sure mine says twice a week for a fortnight, then once a fortnight :confused:

GingerCat

Visit site
? strange! i just got mine on friday so maybe they've changed it?!

from my experience so far it seems to go a long way! :)

No I checked, They've not changed it...I just remembered it 'differently'
5.gif

peanut

Visit site
I've never used it. Is it for hooves only? I'm sure I've seen people putting it on the soles.