Keratoma advice

Anni_101

New User
Visit site
My 18 Yr old exracehorse has just been diagnosed with a keratoma in hand foot. My vet is organising a surgeon to come and operate in the next 10 days, but jm concerned about the aftercare. Hes 18 and already has stiff hocks. At his age is it fair to put him on box rest for months? I don't know how long he needs to be on box rest for entirely but the hoof needs to grow down completely (I assume)? He's such a lovely mild mannered horse and I have a very quiet yard at home. Its not as if horses and people are coming and gong all the time. Has anyone been in similar situation?

dreamcometrue

Visit site
My daughter’s horse had a keratoma removed from a front hoof. Vet and farrier worked together on the recovery process. I can’t remember how long it took but he is fine now x

Noble

Visit site
Mine wasn't due to a keratoma but the surgery was the same, she had a cast on for 3 weeks and then it was dressed twice a week for just over 2 months with a heart bar on for support. At this point the exposed part of the hoof had keratinised and she was allowed out in a dry paddock with her dressing on, after another month she was able to have filler put in and could be brought back into work slowly. Pictures below, the 1st is 3 weeks after surgery when the cast came off. So 3 months of box rest another month in the paddock and I spent 3 months doing ground work before it was totally grown out and I got back on board.hoof.jpg

Last edited:

AandK

Visit site
My horse had a keratoma removed from his foot in Nov ‘20. He was on box rest with in hand walking/arena turnout for 3 months until the defect had fully keratinised. After that my vet was happy for him to go back out in the field.
If you are on Facebook then join the Equine Keratoma Support Group, there are loads of people on there who have shared their experience. If you search Krissi and Charlie you will find the progress of my boy with pics etc. I have also posted on here too. Happy to answer any questions.

Anni_101

New User
Visit site
Mine wasn't due to a keratoma but the surgery was the same, she had a cast on for 3 weeks and then it was dressed twice a week for just over 2 months with a heart bar on for support. At this point the exposed part of the hoof had keratinised and she was allowed out in a dry paddock with her dressing on, after another month she was able to have filler put in and could be brought back into work slowly. Pictures below, the 1st is 3 weeks after surgery when the cast came off. So 3 months of box rest another month in the paddock and I spent 3 months doing ground work before it was totally grown out and I got back on board.View attachment 85896
Thank you for the pictures and wow what an amazing recovery. This is just the good news I need right now. ?

Anni_101

New User
Visit site
My horse had a keratoma removed from his foot in Nov ‘20. He was on box rest with in hand walking/arena turnout for 3 months until the defect had fully keratinised. After that my vet was happy for him to go back out in the field.
If you are on Facebook then join the Equine Keratoma Support Group, there are loads of people on there who have shared their experience. If you search Krissi and Charlie you will find the progress of my boy with pics etc. I have also posted on here too. Happy to answer any questions.
Thank you I will have a look at the Facebook page. Did he go stir crazy on box rest?

AandK

Visit site
Thank you I will have a look at the Facebook page. Did he go stir crazy on box rest?

I’d say he coped… He loves being out in the field and is usually out 24/7. The first 3 weeks he was just on a hand grazing regime, I tried to do at least 30 min, this was while the defect filled in with granulation tissue and once filled he had a bar shoe and plate fitted. Then he was allowed to have turnout in the arena (30 ish mins while I lucked out etc) and hand walking, which was about 20min with a few stops to pick at grass. This routine kept him sane enough until he was allowed back out. He was back out 24/7 by April when the ground had dried up.

ETA this is a post I did last year, post #5 has a series of pictures of Charlie’s defect.
https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/...-after-keratoma-removal.809075/#post-14719065