Keratomas...

FFAQ

Visit site
I trim an elderly gelding who has one. The owners have decided to leave it alone until it eventually causes a problem. Currently he is sound for hacking in boots, but if you put him on anything other than grass without his boots he's lame on the keratoma foot.

My understanding is that the prognosis is generally good if they are removed by the vet (depending on the size of course). Good luck with it :)

coffeeandcake

Visit site
My horse had one in her left fore, which was removed under general anaesthetic . It returned in exactly the same place and again I had it removed under general anaesthetic . The prognosis was very poor and my horse developed severe pedal bone rotation. I had tried everything with this mare and put my heart and soul into making her better. I failed completely and after two years of what I can only describe as hell , I had her put to sleep.
Everyones situation and recovery is different as no two horses are the same. You have to gather the information and make a decision based on your own circumstances.
Good luck and if you need any further advice PM me xx

smja

Visit site
Our old pony had one, left fore. Initially thought it was encapsulated abscess, was dug out under standing sedation. After limited improvement, cleaned out under standing sedation again. Foot grew down and almost sound again but went very lame so escalated to Leahurst for exploration under general anaesthetic and keratoma removed. recovery was a bit up and down - he went severely lame a few months later when foot contracted from not weight bearing and farrier had to get the blowtorch out. He was also found to have a bone cyst (inoperable) in the same foot. We watched his pain levels like hawks and changed painkillers up/down as needed (with vet approval).

Horse went back in the field last month after extensive box rest and is on no painkillers *touches wood frantically* but as the lameness has recurred several times (just when we think it's all healed) I'm trying not to get hopeful. He dealt with the box rest much better than we expected, he's a hysterical princess by nature but was very calm and very settled in his routine.

Field soundness was the aim for him, as he's 20 and much adored. If he continues to be happy on that foot, we might get on him for light hacking but not for another couple of months at least.

Visit site
One of the horses at my work had a keratoma removed at the end of 2013. He had it removed under a standing op. The first few months were quite alot of work, with flushing the wound and daily dressing changes. Then is was just waiting for his hoof to grow back which was around 11 months total. Which was longer than expected because the vet had to cut out so much hoof to get at the keratoma, it made the hoof unstable so as you can see in one the photos a metal plate had to be attached under the hole for support and then there was alot of proud flesh that had to be pared back a couple of times.
Only had a small set back last year with absesses in the same area where the keratoma was but now he is sound and back competing internationally at 17yo. We didn't have the option of leaving it as the tumor was causing him on/off lameness and chronic white line disease.

Here are some photos.

Finlib

Visit site
I had a mare with one in a front foot.Discovered when x ray was done for front leg lamness she was 19 ex flat racer she was diagnosed with arthritis had the joint medicated she became sound.Decided not to remove the keratoma given her age arthritis diagnosis and length of recovery and she was a TB that would not be confirned for long periods .The farrier worked with the vet on special shoeing after seeing the xray.She remained sound and lightly ridden until 20 then after further injections to the joint field sound until 22 the keratoma caused to pedal bone to drop and she was pts at 23. Farrier had treated 2 others one had a recurence and one had another keratoma but in a different foot.