Kerbweight Vs towing capacity

Mandi1

New User
Visit site
Hi
I wonder if anyone can help me . I own a ford Kuga 2100 kg towing capacity kerbweight of 1704 kg . I am getting conflicting advice wether I should be able to pull a ifor 506 with 2 x400kg ponies or if I should be sticking to the 85%rule stated by the caravan club . Any advice would be gratefully received
Thanks

phizz4

Visit site
The first question is do you have a trailer towing licence or are you limited to 3500 kg gross train weight?
If you add together the Gross Vehicle Weight of the car (on the V5) and the Maximum Allowable Mass of the trailer (2600kg I believe) you get the Gross Train Weight. If that comes to more than 3500 kg (which it will do) you need a pre1997 licence or a trailer test.
Secondly, the 85% is a recommendation, not a rule BUT, while others will tell you to ignore it, you don't want a trailer that weighs more than the car or you could get instability problems. Tail wagging dog!
The trailer weighs 920 kg according to IW. Add the weight of the horses and you have 1720 kg. That is within the car's maximum towing capacity.
So, if your licence works for this set up, yes, you are within the car's towing capacity.
But, I wouldn't tow that sort of weight with a car of the Kuga's weight, but that's just me. Others will. It's not illegal but it might be unsafe.

Mandi1

New User
Visit site
Yes I passed my license in 1993 so that's not an issue ! The journeys I would make carrying 2 would only be about 10 miles ,but are steep hills both up and downhill maybe a heavier car would be the answer !

phizz4

Visit site
A heavier car would be my suggestion, but it is also about economics. We have bitten the bullet and have an old (2006) long wheel base Shogun automatic to tow our two horses with. Trailer plus horses weighs just under 2000 kg. It's not fast but it feels safe and the brakes can cope with the extra load of stopping that weight. We also put all the weight possible in the car, not in the trailer.

ezililaur

Visit site
I tow my Cheval Liberte trailer with a Kuga. Trailer weight is 860kg. My horse is 570kg so a bit under what you would be towing. I find the Kuga a great car to tow with, never had any problems.

Littlewills

Visit site
I tow with a roughly 1800kg 4x4 with a tow capacity of 2000kgs and pull anywhere from 1100 to 1800kgs with it with absolutely no issues at all. I used to tow with a 2600kg 4x4 with a tow capacity of 3500kgs and it wasn't any better that I have ever noticed. I actually prefer the smaller car to be honest.

McFluff

Visit site
Uhm, I tow between 2 & 2.5 T (depending on whether one or two up) with a car that weighs 1770kg. Ok, it has a 3.5T tow capacity, but it’s not heavier than the trailer. The trailer has never moved the car.
Horse trailers are double axle and braked. Mine is actually better when loaded.
Maybe the caravan tip is more to do with them being single axle and a bit more unstable.

Mandi1

New User
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's responses it's much appreciated ! So is the general feeling that the 85% is really only applicable for caravans due to the difference in build ? But obviously the more weight in the trailer the more careful etc you have to be . I wouldn't ever be doing moterway journeys etc