Kerry Bog Pony

CMcC

Visit site
I am interested in getting a Kerry Bog Pony, probably just as a companion and/or for some showing.
Does anyone have any experience of the breed? The only ponies for sale seem to be in Ireland (I am in Kent), so would be interested in hearing of anyone who owns or breeds in the UK.
Would be willing to get get a pony from Ireland but just thought I would see if anyone closer to home.

honetpot

Visit site
Last edited:

CMcC

Visit site

Shay

Visit site
There was an effort in 2012 to set up a society here and get NPS to accept them for showing purposes; but nothing came of it. There aren't any breed specific classes and they can't show under affiliated rules other than in general classes like LR or coloured etc. The look like the would be great to drive though?

Leitrim

Visit site
I am interested in getting a Kerry Bog Pony, probably just as a companion and/or for some showing.
Does anyone have any experience of the breed? The only ponies for sale seem to be in Ireland (I am in Kent), so would be interested in hearing of anyone who owns or breeds in the UK.
Would be willing to get get a pony from Ireland but just thought I would see if anyone closer to home.

There is a Facebook group for the Kerry Bog Pony. At least three established Irish breeders regularly post to it and they know who has ponies in England. It's a pity that there are no M&M classes in UK but if people showed them in LR or childrens' equitation classes over here the breed would become more widely recognised and that might lead to inclusion in M&M in future. I don't know what would happen if a Kerry Bog Pony turned up in a 'small M&M' class over here but I should think it would make for an interesting conversation with the judge.

Visit site
There is a Facebook group for the Kerry Bog Pony. At least three established Irish breeders regularly post to it and they know who has ponies in England. It's a pity that there are no M&M classes in UK but if people showed them in LR or childrens' equitation classes over here the breed would become more widely recognised and that might lead to inclusion in M&M in future. I don't know what would happen if a Kerry Bog Pony turned up in a 'small M&M' class over here but I should think it would make for an interesting conversation with the judge.

Up in Scotland a lot of unaffiliated shows allow Eriskays in large m&m classes and they never do well because most judges assume that they are bad highlands.

Leitrim

Visit site
I don't know anything about this breed. What are they like?

This is the breed standard as set out in the Kerry Bog Pony's cooperative society page. I can't put a photo up as I don't own a KBP myself and other peoples' photos might be copyright, but if you google Kerry Bog Pony images you'll find loads.

The characteristics of the Kerry Bog Pony (KBP) are as originally defined in 1994 and as re-affirmed unanimously as the Breed Standard at the First AGM of the Co-Op held on 26th February 2005. They are as follows:

Size: This is a small pony evolved as such because of its use as a draught animal in the bogs of Kerry over the centuries. Thus, the height of the Kerry Bog pony is 102cms – 117cms for Stallions and Geldings and 102cms - 112cms for Mares.

Colour: Any strong whole colour is to be found, but colour is generally brown or brownish black and bay. Some chestnut, grey and dun colours are also to be found.

Coat: The coat of the KBP is long and dense and easily capable of withstanding harsh winter conditions without shelter.

Head: The head is pleasant plain and of average size and rather dish-faced. Ears are small and pointed. Nostrils allow large air intake relative to body size. The jaw is strong and well formed with excellent dentition to facilitate grazing on heath, gorse and heather.

Body: Neck is strong and medium length. The shoulder is rounded and muscular. The body is strong and compact. The chest is deep with well-sprung ribs and good girth. Loins are powerful and the hindquarters are strong and well-formed. The tail is full, abundant and well set and well carried.

Legs: Forelegs are strong and muscular with a strong forearm. Hindlegs are muscular and powerful. The cannon bone is short with flat hard bone of good size. Pasterns are short and the hooves upright and wide open and well formed of hard horn requiring very little trimming.

Action: The KBP is a powerful pony with good bone and great weight and strength relative to its size. This together with its excellent conformation gives the pony a lovely straight and level action with good balance. This intelligent pony is sure footed and well capable of thinking for itself in the soft underfoot conditions of Kerry bogs.

Temperament and Character: this pony, while kind, sensible and confident and well mannered also possesses great courage and endurance. Viciousness or nervousness have been bred out of the KBP at a much earlier stage. Soundness is also a feature of the KBP; hereditary unsoundness is extremely rare and because of the pony's innate strength and toughness it scarcely ever develops any unsoundness. The animal's constitution is also first class, beig possessed of large heart and lung room which in turn enables it to thrive well in spite of harsh weather or other difficulties. The excellent temperament of the pony allows it to be easily trained to harness or saddle and it can be easily worked as a children's riding pony.

Leitrim

Visit site
Up in Scotland a lot of unaffiliated shows allow Eriskays in large m&m classes and they never do well because most judges assume that they are bad highlands.

That's a real shame. If I took a KBP to a show I'd wear a tabard saying "I'm not welsh or Shetland or a mini-connie. I'm a rare speciality - a Kerry Bog Pony". I wonder if that would result in good, bad or NO publicity!