Kevin Thornton excluded from cagnes after his horse diies

LadySam

Visit site
How awful. I read the French article too that the German one linked to. His friend says 20 mins, French article says it went on for an hour. Either way, KT sounds like he's in a spot of trouble.

VikingSong

Visit site
If the eye witness testimony is true (I read it in German as the English translation was abysmal), then I hope he's prosecuted.

crabbymare

Visit site
I read what I could of the german and used the translation as a fill in but it does sound as if it was worse than on the french site if the other riders were so disgusted and reacted the way they did

claude rains

New User
Visit site
Don't get me wrong it sounds horrendous but this happens every time there is an FEI Endurance event and nothing has been done at all. At the latest one a mare broke her leg, was allowed to trot off with a broken cannon bone and her body was accidentally shipped off to an animal crematorium instead of off for a post mortem- arab owned and ridden as ever and as for the video of the exhausted horse being dragged up in front of the vet panel well words fail me.

crabbymare

Visit site
yes endurance is horrendous for the horses and I know the fei have done virtually nothing about it but this is showjumping and from the german report even the other riders were horrified at what happened

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
One thing that I wonder about is that a statement was typed up and printed before going aroung the grounds asking witnesses to sign it. Shouldn't it be a case of the witness making their own statement then signing it?

paddi22

Visit site
He must have the only horse that can bolt around a gallops, be pushed to gallop more and still finish not panting or breathless...

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I'll be waiting for the PM result and the official report after the investigation. The eyewitnesses didn't even get the right horse, and I really dislike drawing conclusions from this sort of reporting. Generally speaking however, it's quite common for horses suffering heart failure to behave very strangely - including napping and bolting - before the actual catestrophic event occurs.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'll be waiting for the PM result and the official report after the investigation. The eyewitnesses didn't even get the right horse, and I really dislike drawing conclusions from this sort of reporting. Generally speaking however, it's quite common for horses suffering heart failure to behave very strangely - including napping and bolting - before the actual catestrophic event occurs.

That was my thought too. Will be interesting if the PM results can show something that it wasn't heart failure due to over exertion, I'm not sure if they will be able to tell the difference though?

chillipup

Visit site
I'm happy to wait until all the results are in, witness statements, PM result etc. From his own statement, which to my mind appears frank and open, it seems witnesses may have well confused his other two horses with the one that died. I'll reserve any judgement until all the facts are known.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I'm happy to wait until all the results are in, witness statements, PM result etc. From his own statement, which to my mind appears frank and open, it seems witnesses may have well confused his other two horses with the one that died. I'll reserve any judgement until all the facts are known.

Yep - I have 4x 17hh mares in the field together (with other white greys a BIT smaller). I can JUST about tell them apart with the formula - one is pigeon toed, one has a wide snip, one has a small left hand snip and one has no snip! I think it's unlikely he had never hit him before - colts NEED the odd smack, at least, from an early age if you don't want them playfully removing your arm - or standing on hind legs and whacking you in the skull. But - whatever he did - or didn't do - he's suffered big time already! The PM results will be interesting - but horses DO have heart failure for NO apparent reason.

conniegirl

Visit site

This exactly, I had one and he came out of his stable that evening like a fire breathing dragon, so I decided he wasant safe to ride and I lunged him instead. He collapsed within 5 mins, having spent that 5 mins bucking, squealing and generaly being an idiot, and was dead a few minutes later. PM showed heart failure due to an enlarged ventricle (sorry if I've not got the terminology correct)

Fiona

Visit site
I'm happy to wait until the final PM results etc are available, it really sounds like a case of mistaken identity (between different horses), so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now :)

Fiona

Orangehorse

Visit site
I read Kevin's reply too, and I would reserve judgement until there is a proper enquiry.
I had 2 14.00 ponies, both bay but one was a gelding and the other a mare. They were very difficult to tell apart. The one was a really good gymkhana pony and hunter but hopeless jumper, the other was brilliant jumper but otherwise a nutter. People got very confused about the different performances.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Hmm I think people could be given more credit, I doubt 3 greys would look that identical and usually if you're a fellow rider you would know what horses certain riders generally had. It sounds like he must have laid into the horse at some point so I dont believe the "2 smacks" rubbish, people dont go this mental over 2 smacks (which IMO are unacceptable but the vast majority of horse people think its fine). If he did beat his horse, he deserves to be banned from keeping and riding horses for life, simple. I hope the FEI come down extremely heavily on him (if true)

VikingSong

Visit site
Hmm I think people could be given more credit, I doubt 3 greys would look that identical and usually if you're a fellow rider you would know what horses certain riders generally had. It sounds like he must have laid into the horse at some point so I dont believe the "2 smacks" rubbish, people dont go this mental over 2 smacks (which IMO are unacceptable but the vast majority of horse people think its fine). If he did beat his horse, he deserves to be banned from keeping and riding horses for life, simple. I hope the FEI come down extremely heavily on him (if true)

This.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site

The horse was wrongly identified in the first media report.

Luci07

Visit site
I think we need to have all the facts, correctly reported before making firm decisions. Reports are already contradicting earlier statements. If the PM shows he caused the horses death, then we will find out. If he didn't, we could well be destroying a mans career with this speculation.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have two greys .
I constantly have to tell people no thats the other one .
Alarmingly one is a TB and one is a ID .
It's perfectly possible that people got the horses mixed up.

claracanter

Visit site
I have two greys .
I constantly have to tell people no thats the other one .
Alarmingly one is a TB and one is a ID .
It's perfectly possible that people got the horses mixed up.

I have a chunky bay with white socks and a dark brown TB with no white and I am constantly telling people at the yard which one is which. However I think there is more to this case than mistaken identity.

LadySam

Visit site
I have a chunky bay with white socks and a dark brown TB with no white and I am constantly telling people at the yard which one is which. However I think there is more to this case than mistaken identity.

Yeah. There was at least one eye witness who identified the horse correctly, despite what KT said. He may have only been riding it for 20 minutes but I suspect he lunged the bejeezus out of it first. Still, just a theory and I await more facts and the PM results with interest.