Keysoe ODE Event

Nats_uk

Visit site
Went to Keysoe this weekend for the RC Area qualifiers at Keysoe.
Had a bit of a shaky preparation for the event as B's eye problem flared up again so was off work from Mon-Thurs. Schooled Thurs night, lunged Friday and then schooled again Sat morn before I left. Travelled up Sat afternoon, got B all settled in his very nice stable and walked the XC course - got back from walking it very
crazy.gif
as it was very up to height (was last's week BE Intro) and the most technical course we had ever jumped.

Off to bed at midnight and then up again at half 6
smirk.gif
- dressage was at 9.44. B warmed up okay - quite fresh (not surprising) and a little heavy in my hands in canter. Went in test early - rode an okay test (despite spooking at the dressage boards
confused.gif
and going very hollow in both my G&Rs), came out with 6s, 7s and a couple of eights and got 33.2
grin.gif

Off to the SJ (my favourite part
smile.gif
). Course was nice, no real fillers and not particularly big, time was tight though and the large arena did encourage you to go wide. Bane jumped a nice clear round within the time so we were lying 3rd after the dressage and SJ
grin.gif

Back to trailer to get him and me changed to do the scary XC
crazy.gif
He warmed up really well (thanks to Keysoe for the great variety of warm up fences) and so was feeling more positive going into the start box.

Bit sticky over fence 1 (wooden palisade) but it wasn't far from the start box and not really enough time to get B going. Good over 2 (wooden table), a little sticky again over 3 (big wooden wall with sheep at the sides!), good over 4 (timber wagon with hay bales and flowers), came round to 5 which was either a big corner or double or rails - took the double as it was a big question quite early on and he jumped lovely (barely looking at the white huts at the side
smile.gif
), Galloped and flew over 6 (wooden seat), fine through first water, popped over hanging log and then came to my first scary fence. Big log with a hay bale in front full of colourful flowers - I guess I rode into it strongly as he didn't even hesitate
grin.gif
, Popped 10 (timber pile) and just a brief look at 11 (flowerbed), flew through second water and steeplechase fence. Nearly jumped the open table but a quick detour got us back on track for the novice version (with milk churns on top!), no hesitation over 15,16,17 (trakenher, rails and hay barn). Collected him up for roll top with ditch just over and then popped step up then long gallop to gazebo. He trotted into the gazebo (he's not sure about narrow gaps) but jumped over the seat sweetly and flew over finish line with me cheering and giving him huge pats
grin.gif

It was the best XC round he has ever done - in between the fences he really opened up and used his long stride and he seemed to really gain in confidence as he went round. Ended up 23 secs over time so 9.2 time penalties - I know I clock these up when he is sticky/hesitant over fences so I know it is easily improveable.

Ended individual 7th
grin.gif
grin.gif
and our team came 3rd
grin.gif
Am very tired this morning as didn't leave Keysoe til about twenty to 7 and finally got home at 10
crazy.gif

Cookies for reading
grin.gif

Quarrybank

Visit site
Wow well done you. Great result.
smile.gif

That sounds a v tuff XC course for a novice riding club class. It's supposed to be max 85cm, so using the BE90 course is not really very fair. However if you jumped round that, then you should be really pleased with yourself & the boy
smile.gif

Nats_uk

Visit site
Thanks
smile.gif
Worked out if I had not had time penalties XC I would have ended up 2nd (winner was on 32.7 and I would have been 33.2
smile.gif
)

Safina has posted below - apparently they had complaints about the course. Only 3 fences were below/on the max height of 90cm, the rest were bigger
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Bubblegum

Visit site
Very happy to read your report, well done. You must be thrilled to bits, especially with the xc. It was a good test for a riding club novice horse trials...I heard there were complaints about it being too tough. So extra well done!!!
smile.gif

Jul

Visit site
Congratulations - that was definitely a bit unfair to use the Intro course for an 85cm RC novice - but you did it anyway and it sounds like you made a bloody good job of it too, so well done you!