Kia Sorentos - the good, the bad and the ugly - Reviews please?

CBFan

Visit site
Hoping to look at some this weekend - looking at about 06 / 07 plates (the newer the better but also lower milage the better) XE Manual Diesels...

Anything I should look out for?

Also any idea of costs to fill a tank of fuel and fuel economy? Anything else I should know re running costs or quirks?

Am I right in thinking the XE should tow 2800kg? or is it 3000kg?

HeresHoping

Visit site
Not sure about the towing but...I have two friends with them.

I have driven one on a 2 hour journey and enjoyed it. Felt safe, relatively economical. Cruised along at 70 merrily.

The but... both of my friends have their Sorrentos in the garage this week as they both have died on them, for the second time in as many months, in the school gates. One is a transmission problem, the other a manifold problem.

I don't know if this is indicative of the car as a whole. They were very popular where we were in the Caribbean as they could, unlike most American marques imported to the Island, cope with the 50 degree plus slopes we had to deal with as well as torrential rain and mud on occasion.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Visit site
I've got an 08 and love it. Never had a problem and have just done 465 miles on one tank of fuel and wasn't driving slowly - this is exceptional however and usually only get 10 litres/100 km (sorry don't do Imperial). Mine's a diesel automatic just because that's what my company gave me.

I don't tow as have a lorry but yes - mine can tow 2800 kgs. Only quirk is that indicator and wipers are back to front compared to everything else I drive!

Suechoccy

Visit site
I've heard that clutches can be a problem on some of them. If you pull away from traffic lights at all fast, the clutch can smell of burning for ages afterwards so you have to accelerate very slowly from standstill (said a man in the fuel station with a new one and we asked him did he like it - no). We tried a secondhand one but it was obvious the clutch was on its way out.

A couple of friends have got them (one is on her 2nd one) and love them and use them for towing (2 x 14hh in 505s).

There are different models and different engine sizes and different towing capacities and these also change with the year too, and different taxations according to year as well.

Orangehorse

Visit site
They seem to get terminal problems. Knew someone who loved hers, it wasn't all that old, but it developed some problem, transmission I think, which would have cost more to put right than the value.

Izzwizz

Visit site
I have an 03 plate one. Great for towing and economy is relatively good for a 4 x 4. We did have a problem with the ECU and over revving but that got sorted by the ECU being reset to factory settings. Other than that a lovely car, drives and looks great. Mine is a diesel auto and it makes towing a piece of cake, just sit and steer pretty much. I love mine...

liz4949

Visit site
We have had an 11 plate one for 3 years and love it. We've never had any problems, it does get main dealer regular services to look after it properly. It drives lovely, tows our 505 with 2 up like a dream and compared to our old Disco is so economical.

paddi22

Visit site
i had an O6 one and it was a disaster. engine went once, got it reconditioned, and then it went again a few months later. They never discovered why it went. I have a friend with one as well and he electrics just cut out mid drive when she was towing up a motorway. They got it going again, but never found what the issue was either. I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole again. I have a banger of a trooper now, but at least when it break they know what the issue is and how to fix it!

Heard a few theories that the kia sorrentos are good for as long as the 7 year warranty lasts for, and then they act up.

ashlingm

Visit site
Know 3 people who had them ... all 3 have had serious problems with them.

Lovely cars....but definitely only for dropping the kids to school. They don't seem hardy enough to be able to tow horseboxes. At hunter trials it seems to be primarily kia's getting pulled out by the tractors.

Honestly, wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

9tails

Visit site
I have one and love it. I'd go for an XS as it has more bells and whistles. Mine is 04 and definitely can tow 2800kg, tows two 650kg horses and an IW511 easy peasy even up step inclines. Fuel consumption is good for such a hefty car, it does sound like a taxi but this is the first diesel I've ever owned and some other diesels sound worse.

w1bbler

Visit site
I have a 53 plate xs, love it. Tows effortlessly, has been very reliable ( owned for 5 years)
I'd choose the xs over the XE, slightly more luxury, leather seats (wipe clean) & the permanent 4 wheel drive can be cheaply modified if you are worried about fuel consumption

molly7886

Visit site
I've had my 04 red xs for several years. No big outlays in the garage (frantically touching wood!) Fantastic to tow with and comfortable to drive when not towing. Would definitely recommend

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Ours is an 03 plate (I think) and is great for towing. Have towed 2 easily with it although prefer just taking one!

Only thing is that the suspension is a bit bumpy and it sometimes slips out of third gear.

CBFan

Visit site
Thank you. Very mixed reviews - eeek!! I'm not really bothered about leather seats or super mod cons. The XE seems to have everything I need - air con, a stereo with Aux jack, a steering wheel and gears.... lol! Quite happy with that! Plus it seems a little more economical than the XS...

dizz4

Visit site
Hoping to look at some this weekend - looking at about 06 / 07 plates (the newer the better but also lower milage the better) XE Manual Diesels...

Also any idea of costs to fill a tank of fuel and fuel economy? Anything else I should know re running costs or quirks?

Hi there, I don't have a Kia Sorento but something very similar a Hyundai Terracan, same fuel consumption and same towing ability, I have a Richardson Trailer and have towed to fat welsh cobs in the back and it copes fine with this, the towing capacity for this is 2800kg which is quite good for a 2.9TDi.

Izzy

HelenS

Visit site
I have a 57 plate one that I have had from new. It has been a very good vehicle and it's our intention to run it into the ground (eventually). We have used it to tow a large caravan all over Scotland, to tow my 17.2 in an Ifor Williams 510, and the only problem we have had was in 2012 when the reverse selector went on the gearbox. Sadly we were reversing our caravan into a pitch 300 miles from home when it decided to happen. Otherwise it has been excellent.

It's easy to drive, not over heavy on fuel even when towing, and comfortable. My brother was so impressed with mine for towing he searched the country for one like it. Unfortunately the more recent version doesn't have the same towing capacity.

So I would recommend them.

CBFan

Visit site
Hi there, I don't have a Kia Sorento but something very similar a Hyundai Terracan, same fuel consumption and same towing ability, I have a Richardson Trailer and have towed to fat welsh cobs in the back and it copes fine with this, the towing capacity for this is 2800kg which is quite good for a 2.9TDi.

Izzy

Funnily enough my neighbour has one of these, which I quite like. Will take a look :)

CBFan

Visit site
I have a 57 plate one that I have had from new. It has been a very good vehicle and it's our intention to run it into the ground (eventually). We have used it to tow a large caravan all over Scotland, to tow my 17.2 in an Ifor Williams 510, and the only problem we have had was in 2012 when the reverse selector went on the gearbox. Sadly we were reversing our caravan into a pitch 300 miles from home when it decided to happen. Otherwise it has been excellent.

It's easy to drive, not over heavy on fuel even when towing, and comfortable. My brother was so impressed with mine for towing he searched the country for one like it. Unfortunately the more recent version doesn't have the same towing capacity.

So I would recommend them.

Thank you. I have a 17.2hh and an Ifor 510 so same set up as you. What sort of Milage has yours done - I notice that quite a few of them on the market have reasonably high milage on them but there are a few with low ish milage - one that I am keen to see is an 07 plate with 93,000 on the clock which is about 20-30,000 less than most of it's age... but I have seen one with only 65,000 on the clock but it's almost a grand dearer...

nato

Visit site
I find mine great. I have the high spec model with the leather seats, cruise control, sunroof etc, and it isnt as economical as other models because of the permanent 4x4. I get about 25mpg which isn't great, but I have a heavy foot! Also, I don't think any 4x4s are economical :)

BTR

Visit site
I've had an 06 plate one, loved it until it kept breaking, it was the age old fuel tank problem and was going to cost £££ to fix so we cut our loses and sold it to the garage, this is after spending £800 having all the fuel pipes cleaned out etc.

I do now have a 12 plate sorento, can only legally tow my one 16hh as 2 tonne limit, not as powerful as my old one but nicer to drive, more fuel efficient etc and gets me out and about.

Becky

9tails

Visit site
Don't be fooled by ridiculously low mileage, I bought an immaculate Shogun with low mileage and it was a pig. Low mileage generally means sitting around seizing up.

CBFan

Visit site
Don't be fooled by ridiculously low mileage, I bought an immaculate Shogun with low mileage and it was a pig. Low mileage generally means sitting around seizing up.

Yes... Don't worry... I had similar thoughts!!! lol! There is one thing I have learnt with cars over the years though - there are no guarantees. I had a year old clio as my first car that just went on and on and on... My second car was a brand new Clio and after the 3 year warranty expired I had nothing but trouble with it and ended up losing lots of money on it, current car was a 4 year old SEAT and it is **touch wood** doing okay...

milos

Visit site
Love ours fab for pulling. Have the old style the newer ones are not as good towing so I think it was around the 08 would be the last year for the good towing. Won caravan club best towing award four years running I think. Had ours 7 years and little wrong and still going strong.

Gottaloveaginger

Visit site

Had one for all of 18 months: cost thousands to repair, even broke down on level 9 of a multi storey car park! Bought it for £7k, sold it 18 months later for £3k! :( Such a shame cos i loved it when it worked and would have kept it! (Cost £100 to fill the tank, mpg was about 20-30, tax was £280 i think) never got a chance to tow with it, the tow bar i had fitted never got used sadly! :"(