Kia Sportage Towing

newfy

New User
Visit site
Hi I’m looking at getting a 16/17 plate Kia Sportage with the 2200kg towing capacity. There seems to be a few different variants which say they can tow this weight, both 2L engines - a 138bhp or 184bhp. Does BHP matter when towing as long as the capacity is enough?
I’m new to towing so don’t fully understand the cars requirements!
Thanks

TPO

Visit site
I've got an 18 plate sportage. No idea about BHP but I'll have a look.

I towed an ifor 511 with barn door. It was 1350kg. It's the first car I've owned to tow with and I only towed one at a time due to their weight.

I just sold the ifor and bought a new cheval liberte. I've only towed it empty so far but don't even know its there.

So in short mine has been fine for towing.

newfy

New User
Visit site
Someone at my yard tows 2 horses with a sportage KX-4 (the higher BHP) but not many of these available! Wondering whether it is worth waiting for the higher BHP even though the lower BHP models tow the same 2.2tonne

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
My friend has the 2.2 2018 Sportage and tows 1 regularly with it. Keeps up with my Landrover and when I went to pick a horse up with her, it didn’t seem to struggle.

Kizzy2004

Visit site
I had a Kia Sportage around the same age and loved it for towing. I have foresters so well within the weight capacity carrying 2 and towed like a dream. I was gutted when I had to hand it back (company car)

newfy

New User
Visit site
I had a Kia Sportage around the same age and loved it for towing. I have foresters so well within the weight capacity carrying 2 and towed like a dream. I was gutted when I had to hand it back (company car)
Do you happen to remember what the BHP was? Or the model number e.g KX-4?
Thanks!