Kicking flies on tummy and hitting front legs!

JHawes

Visit site
Hi,

Has anyone come across this before. My yearling is self harming! She is kicking flies on her tummy and striking into the backs of her knees with her rear hooves. She has managed to draw blood but this doesnt seem to stop her. I am plastering her in fly spray to try to stop her but so far without sucess. Has anyone else come across this before? Any advice?

Thanks!
ooo.gif

Jay89

Visit site
Try a fly rug with a belly guard on it? If possible keep her in during the day and out a night flies aren't as bad at night!

what fly spray are you using? Maybe try a new one?

JHawes

Visit site
Yes I was thinking of getting a rug but Im reluctant to bring her in as she is only a year old. Cant remember the name of the fly spray but it works a treat on our other mare. The strange thing is she is out on a hill which is quite windy which i thought would reduce the flies!

Thanks for your reply, its really apprepciated!

Louby

Visit site
Touching wood we havent really had the flies yet and we normally get them bad. My boy cuts his sheath with his hind shoes I presume kicking at the flies. This year I have started putting zinc and castor cream on his bits to try and prevent them biting. Ive heard of people using Sudocrem too.

Lill

Visit site
This is exactly what Holly does and she has sweet itch so it is possible that is what yours has. It is not totally obvious on her mane and tail ie she doesn't rub them too much but her belly is the worst area affected.

She has a sweetitch rug with a belly guard and this seems to help.

miller

Visit site
Def recommend a rug with belly wrap - a friends horse did this and fractured his pissiform bone and damaged a ligament or tendon in the process - was lame for a long time

JHawes

Visit site
Thank you all for your ideas. Looks like its going to be a rug! I will try Vaseline but its quite an area to cover and keep covered! Thanks again.